The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

bob9001
I'm getting excited for my test now !:biggrin:

My instructor really gives me a lot of confidence and I'm hoping I will pass first time! The only trouble is big roundabouts- I hate them!

Take them slowly and prepare for them well in advance of reaching them and it will be a piece of cake. Then you can give me a lift to the off-license :p:
Reply 4601
i am into my 6th lesson(12hrs) and i feels like i am not bad at driving consider i only have 6 lessons so far but some point in a lesson, (usually at the end) i alway just forgot everything and messed up at like a roundabout ...... and it is so annoying coz i have been doing alright all the way through the lesson, but its just like a 5min towards the end that i alway just forgot things and just driving s**t..... any help on that??
Reply 4602
B10tl
i am into my 6th lesson(12hrs) and i feels like i am not bad at driving consider i only have 6 lessons so far but some point in a lesson, (usually at the end) i alway just forgot everything and messed up at like a roundabout ...... and it is so annoying coz i have been doing alright all the way through the lesson, but its just like a 5min towards the end that i alway just forgot things and just driving s**t..... any help on that??

Maybe a 2 hour lesson is too long for your concentration? Some instructors offer 90min lessons, that may be better.

Don't really think there is much you can do though, I think everyone does stupid things at points though, I hope so anyway! I managed to try and move off in neutral lol. It could just be natural to think oh that's it now, the hard works over (especially if you know the route well like I do around where I live), when it's not, you just have to try and concentrate for the whole lesson :smile:. You'll do fine in the end :smile:
Reply 4603
Zack
It's quite nervous to start but then it's really fun, especially when you think of what could happen if you put it all together in a test properly and sometimes (like for me) how having a license could change everything

Yeah it will also make my life a lot better and easier if i got my licenses it just worries me that i will suck badly and need 200 lessons and fail like 15 tests and it will end up costing a fortune.
Probably not the best feeling so far, but definitly at the moment!
Reply 4605
Got my test in an hour or so :s-smilie:
How did it go?
Reply 4607
Hey guys, had my second lesson today (hours 3&4) which went fairly well. I definitely felt that things were making much more sense and when i did things right it was because i knew what i was doing rather than by pure fluke. I drove the whole time and did lots of left and right turns on and off side roads, some traffic lights, one bit of reversing, a downhill start and then some roundabouting towards the end along with general cruising around up to 5th gear and 50+mph. Stalled about 3 times but only in one bit at the end when i ****** up a tricky uphill junction by trying to pull away in neutral and then failing to find the gear again, rolling backwards etc etc :p: :o: :p:

Need to work on finding the bite point better, particularly on uphill bits. And i also missed a gear change or two by going 2nd-1st rather than 2nd-3rd and 5th-4th ratwhen i was aiming for 2nd.

Good funb though :woo: :woo:
Reply 4608
Alex L
How did it go?

Failed. Can't believe I got 3 serious (I blame the examiner for two of them though) and only 4 minors.
FXX
Failed. Can't believe I got 3 serious (I blame the examiner for two of them though) and only 4 minors.

What were they?
Reply 4610
Alex L
What were they?

Serious:
- Pulled up just after a corner in a small road with lots of cars either side. He told me to pull away, so I did the usual checks, thought it was clear, went to go and spotted a car come round the corner in the wing mirror, went for the brake, he got there before me (didn't even give me half a second to react, the git) and failed me.
- Crossed lanes too late when arriving at a junction.
- Clipped the kerb trying to avoid a large truck coming down the road.

Minors:
- Two for use of speed
- One for being a bit slow on the emergency stop. He told me to stop right after we pulled away, just as I went into second, so I wasn't expecting it and hesitated.
- And one for approaching a junction too fast.

So all in all, I agree that a failed, but not as badly as it says on the sheet.
I passed my theory last week....63/75 on Hazard and 50/50 on questions (despite the fact I had to guess 5 of the answers)....practical is booked for Jan 15th!

I've been learning for 3 months now....it's SUCH a chore, but at least my instructor gets on with it! I did a dual carriageway and turn in the road on my first lesson....!! Still hate reversing round a corner though. Stupid manouvre.
Argh.. my test centre is all booked up until the 30th January, at which point they're closing it down and moving to somewhere out in the country.
I'd just got used to the test routes as well :frown:
Reply 4613
thebirthoftragedy
Argh.. my test centre is all booked up until the 30th January, at which point they're closing it down and moving to somewhere out in the country.

Aww :frown:. You might be lucky and get a cancellation though :smile:
thebirthoftragedy

Country driving is easy though :p:
Reply 4615
Just had a lesson, done turn in road again, did 3 with him telling me then 3 without. He had grades of 1-4 and told me at the end what each turn got and why. 1 = very good pass, 2 = pass, 3 = fail, 4 = bad fail. My first one was 3 because I went flying off down a hill haha, forgot to use the camber to my advantage lol!. All the others were 2 with one a "good 2". So on Monday I get to do reverse round a corner, which according to what I've read seems to be the hardest!! He thinks that as I can do the first consistently I should be able to do the others quickly, hmmmmmm

If that’s true then I just need to pass my theory then I can start wondering about a test……

Haha one bad thing, lights were green for ages, nobody behind me but one in front went quite slow, as I got there they changed, but too early for me to say I was committed, but I left it a bit late to brake and in the end I did more of an emergency stop than normal braking lol, he just kept saying about progressive braking lol!
Reply 4616
Zack
Just had a lesson, done turn in road again, did 3 with him telling me then 3 without. He had grades of 1-4 and told me at the end what each turn got and why. 1 = very good pass, 2 = pass, 3 = fail, 4 = bad fail. My first one was 3 because I went flying off down a hill haha, forgot to use the camber to my advantage lol!. All the others were 2 with one a "good 2". So on Monday I get to do reverse round a corner, which according to what I've read seems to be the hardest!! He thinks that as I can do the first consistently I should be able to do the others quickly, hmmmmmm

If that’s true then I just need to pass my theory then I can start wondering about a test……

Haha one bad thing, lights were green for ages, nobody behind me but one in front went quite slow, as I got there they changed, but too early for me to say I was committed, but I left it a bit late to brake and in the end I did more of an emergency stop than normal braking lol, he just kept saying about progressive braking lol!

Well at least you know you can do an emergency stop :p:
Reply 4617
RTC
Well at least you know you can do an emergency stop :p:

Haha!

Yea that was my plan all along, I have only done it once and just wanted to confirm that I could do it again :p:
Reply 4618
Zack
Haha!

Yea that was my plan all along, I have only done it once and just wanted to confirm that I could do it again :p:

Good cover up mate :wink: :p:
Reply 4619
Just did another Hazard mock exam, got 56 this time, was surprising really, got a load of 2's as well :eek:. Got 10/10 on the final question though! Can't believe it's so soon, too late to change it now too so got to go with it and hope for the best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending