The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Zack
Good that you've been able to phone a new instructor! Hope it goes well on Friday! :smile:

You have 2 lessons on Friday then!? :eek:.

yes i think so, providing the new instructor can fit me in. Ill be able to compare the two then at least...and im picking my new car up friday night so wont be out of the drivers seat :p:
Reply 5361
madeyoulook
yes i think so, providing the new instructor can fit me in. Ill be able to compare the two then at least...and im picking my new car up friday night so wont be out of the drivers seat :p:

:rofl: that'll be an interesting day!!

Have you already paid for or booked a lesson with your existing one? TBH I think if you can get the new one before Friday then phoning him and cancelling would be better (so if you or the new one could do tomorrow it would be better), why give the current one any more of your money, it sounds like they've had enough of it as it is!! :smile:
Unfortunatly paid for a block of 10!
Stuck with him until the 10 is up, then have the task of telling him i dont want to book any more lol!
madeyoulook
Stuck with him until the 10 is up, then have the task of telling him i dont want to book any more lol!

You don't even have to tell you don't want to use him anymore. Just say you need to take some time out for school work, or your going on holiday. Or, just simply say I'm not sure about my timtables so I'll have to give you a ring etc
Reply 5364
I failed.

Was the worst moment because, until then, I'd been doing really well. Had parallel parking and reversing round a corner which I did perfectly. I'd done everything really well, the examiner started to get a bit chatty and friendly etc.

Then we came out to a roundabout, I was supposed to turn right. Somehow I was focusing too much on the roundabout and mounted the kerb between the two lanes. I have no idea how I did it, I'd never done it before.

The examiner was even like: 'Ohhh, sweetheart!" When I did it with a bit of a gasp. He hadn't expected it and he was obviously pretty disappointed. When we got back he said I was a very good driver and he wasn't sure what had happened.

I am going to book it again, but I know I won't get as nice of an examiner again or even those manouevres in the nice location that they were again.

I am more than just a little annoyed at myself.
Reply 5365
madeyoulook

Oh right, yea might as well enjoy your 2 lessons on Friday then!! :smile:

Rennie
I failed.

Was the worst moment because, until then, I'd been doing really well. Had parallel parking and reversing round a corner which I did perfectly. I'd done everything really well, the examiner started to get a bit chatty and friendly etc.

Then we came out to a roundabout, I was supposed to turn right. Somehow I was focusing too much on the roundabout and mounted the kerb between the two lanes. I have no idea how I did it, I'd never done it before.

The examiner was even like: 'Ohhh, sweetheart!" When I did it with a bit of a gasp. He hadn't expected it and he was obviously pretty disappointed. When we got back he said I was a very good driver and he wasn't sure what had happened.

I am going to book it again, but I know I won't get as nice of an examiner again or even those manouevres in the nice location that they were again.

Aww :frown:

That's a shame :frown:. You did well other than that though, take encouragement from that into your next test :smile:
Oh no Rennie, sorry to hear about your test. sounds like you were really good too- its so annoying when its just one silly mistake.
Hope you can get a quick retest! I had the horrible examiner with the manoeuvres in the worst places... so in a way I'm looking forward to next test because I'll hopefully get an examiner who is nice and lenient!
Ahhh i love driving!
Waiting for my instructor to get back from holiday as my test is in 3 weeks

Hope I pass this time!:smile:
I failed too :frown:
It was in the first 10 minutes as well which was horrible...I was coming down a main road downhill and he asked me to turn right. The right turn had a set of traffic lights because obviously it cuts across the other side of the road. The sun was so much in my eyes so I slowed down a lot but I couldn't see the stop sign anywhere and I couldn't see the road properly...the stop line was obviously far before the actual traffic lights as the examiner said "Can you see the red light? You are going to stop aren't you?" I knew then that I'd failed..it was so annoying because I had slowed down a lot as I'd seen the red light, I just couldn't see the stop line properly and had obviously passed over it. The rest of the test went OK but I had to do the whole thing knowing I'd failed like last time..
He even said at the end "What a shame, I wanted to pass you, you're a very good driver" etc..it's just so annoying I made a stupid mistake.
Ah well, never mind. Right it just feels like passing is an impossibility and I'll always do something stupid though!
Sorry, I mean the stop line, not sign obviously.
Today has obviously not been a good dya for tests :frown:
Reply 5371
marilyn_fan
It was in the first 10 minutes as well which was horrible...I was coming down a main road downhill and he asked me to turn right. The right turn had a set of traffic lights because obviously it cuts across the other side of the road. The sun was so much in my eyes so I slowed down a lot but I couldn't see the stop sign anywhere and I couldn't see the road properly...the stop line was obviously far before the actual traffic lights as the examiner said "Can you see the red light? You are going to stop aren't you?" I knew then that I'd failed..it was so annoying because I had slowed down a lot as I'd seen the red light, I just couldn't see the stop line properly and had obviously passed over it. The rest of the test went OK but I had to do the whole thing knowing I'd failed like last time..
He even said at the end "What a shame, I wanted to pass you, you're a very good driver" etc..it's just so annoying I made a stupid mistake.
Ah well, never mind. Right it just feels like passing is an impossibility and I'll always do something stupid though!

Aww, I know how you feel. I don't know if it's worse to fail in the first 10 like you did or the last 5 like I did. You'l pass eventually, I'm sure of it. The sun was something you couldn't really help. As the examiner said, you're a good driver and you can just learn from this and ace it next time. Good luck.

Thanks Zack and Alexa. I'm going to draw from this experience and then just do the same things again but just try to avoid something silly like that. I think it just happened oddly by chance and it wasn't something I naturally would have done. I'm hoping next time I will be successful. I'm feeling more positive and optimistic about it somehow. I think having the experience helps.

fran.ha
Hope you can get a quick retest! I had the horrible examiner with the manoeuvres in the worst places... so in a way I'm looking forward to next test because I'll hopefully get an examiner who is nice and lenient!

I have booked in my next test for a month. I'm not sure if it is still the last one of the day or not, though. This one was booked for 3.29. However, when I looked, the latest test they had (all the way up until late April) was 3pm. Do you think they've moved the test back a bit now? I'm not sure if they always had one at 3pm. However, I'm guessing not because all of the examiners came back at around 3.20 last time, suggesting that there's no way that there was a 3.00 test (unless there are two sets of them?).
Reply 5372
AwesomelyPsycho
Congratulations! :p:
Did you get any minors?

Only 10 haha, but I don't care cause it was my first attempt :smile:
Reply 5373
ben_walker446
Only 10 haha, but I don't care cause it was my first attempt :smile:

Well done. Who cares how many you got, you passed! :biggrin:

I only had 5 until I totally messed myself up. It would have been such a nice pass if only we hadn't have gone a certain way. I finished with 6 plus one serious.
Reply 5374
marilyn_fan

:frown:. That must be hard to take too :frown:. It's good the rest of the test went ok though, like Rennie you can take the positives from it :smile:.

Better luck next time :smile:. When are you planning to try again?
aww sorry to hear about your test Marilyn_ fan.
Sometimes i wish if they think your driving is good and its one small thing that they would let you pass- i know it defeats the point of the test. haha but how frustrating!!

god that was such a blonde comment :biggrin:
Reply 5376
alexa123
aww sorry to hear about your test Marilyn_ fan.
Sometimes i wish if they think your driving is good and its one small thing that they would let you pass- i know it defeats the point of the test. haha but how frustrating!!

god that was such a blonde comment :biggrin:

Haha no it's not a blonde comment. Well I'm not blonde and I agree with it :p:. If the rest of it has been a good safe drive but you make one mistake that shouldn't be a instant fail. If you correct the error and are not a danger then you should still pass IMO

Both of today's examples show how crazy it is. If it's really sunny (which the examiner should notice!) then if someone has slowed right down as they can’t see the line but they are looking for it then that's fine as long as they don't cause a danger (by going into the path of the other traffic).

In Rennie's case it's just as harsh. Mounting the kerb between two lanes isn't really a big deal if it's corrected properly. Mounting a pavement yes but not a dividing kerb. That is no more dangerous than people straying onto the lines you shouldn't cross :s-smilie:

A bit of discretion sometimes would be great, but it’s impossible for examiners to do, hence the comments about being good drivers and would like to pass you (my mate got the same too)
Rennie
I failed.

Oh no! That's really unfortunate. However take some comfort from knowing that you have ability and are completely able to pass the test.

marilyn_fan

Hmmm - depends on the examiner. On the day of my test it was extremely sunny, the sun was shining down onto the road and I couldn't make out any of the road markings. Fortunately I was quite familiar to the area and knew. I approached a set of traffic lights with two lanes - The examiner gave me the instructions to continue you ahead, however the lane to continue straight was the one on the right and not the left as you would think it would be. So my examiner actually said 'I recommend you use the right lane' - It was decent of him to do so, as he knew there was no way I could see the markings on the road.
Thanks for the sympathy everyone..I agree with both of you, I wish they could use their discretion! I didn't cause a danger to anyone and the stop line was at least 50 metres away from the actual turning which was a bit crazy..one mistake in 40 minutes! I got 4 minors as well, which I was pleased with as it was better than my first attempt (got 8)
Have booked my test for the first week of March:shifty: but I'm hoping if I check every day I can get a cancellation, Monday mornings are usually pretty good for new appointments coming up.
Reply 5379
They do use their discretion. I passed even when I went through a red light because we were going 40-ish and slamming on the brakes would've been a hazard to the people behind me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending