The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

congrats bumhole and sorry to hear about your fail Amelia, hope you do better next time.

As for 5th gear- when i started to learn i didnt use it much because the car didnt feel like it needed changing up a gear like it did with the other gears, but once put into 5th it does feel like a smoother drive. Now i use it when its needed because i sometimes think/ have been told that if you dont use 5th when it should be used the examiner may not think youve progressed enough. Ive got 6 gears on my car- was so worried when i first used the 6th gear, as i wasnt sure when to use it, but it was fine.
WOOO I passed my test today :smile: First attempt, and I only got 3 minors!!! Made up, Ive never got so few in all the practise tests I did.
Just got to get a car now!! hehe :smile:
toothpaste-kisses*
WOOO I passed my test today :smile: First attempt, and I only got 3 minors!!! Made up, Ive never got so few in all the practise tests I did.

Congratulations!! :biggrin:
That's really good!
Reply 5543
Oooops.

First trip out on my own....pulled over by the police, i'd forgotten to put my lights on. REMEMBER LIGHTS EVERYONE.
Bumhole
Oooops.

First trip out on my own....pulled over by the police, i'd forgotten to put my lights on. REMEMBER LIGHTS EVERYONE.

:rofl: - That must have been an amusing conversation with the police...

Congratulations on passing by the way!
Oh yea sorry i forgot to say well done bumhole and toothpaste kisses. You must be absolutely chuffed :smile:

But haha bumhole...smooooth.....
Bumhole
Oooops.

Lol! It all comes with practice and experience eh...

A question to all, that I can't be bothered to google, what are the different speed limits for a vehicle towing a trailers on the different roads..?

I know it's 60mph on a dual/motorway...and a 50mph on a single carriagement...so I was wondering whether it's just -10mph of each the limit that a normal non-towing vehicle has..?

:smile:
Bumhole
Oooops.

And how long ago did you pass your test? That must be a new record! :laugh:
Bumhole
Oooops.

haha oh dear, sounds like the kinda thing i would, i often forget to put my lights on until mum reminds me, and i would forget to turn them off if she didnt remind me- shall have to remember when im on my own though :rolleyes:
Reply 5549
OH WELL.

He didn't take my name at all, so i'm assuming i'm not going to get a letter ordering me to court.....i convinently failed to tell my parents of this indident, don't think it would go down well.
Reply 5550
toothpaste-kisses*

Well done!!!

3 minors is great as well! You must be so pleased! :smile:

Bumhole
Oooops.

:rofl: Oh dear!!!!
Reply 5551
Just had another lesson, she said I'm doing really well considering I've not had that many lessons :smile:

I did my first manouver aswell, turn in the road. I practised it 3 times and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be, just got to remember to keep looking over my shoulders!

Then I did a bit of driving and instead of going one of our normal ways she told me to go up the high street of our very busy nearby town xD I was really quite nervous, so much that my ears went bright red but she said I had great control, yay!

I'm getting better every lesson aparently, though when I pulled up on the side of the road to do the turn in the road I did put it into 1st gear for no reason at all lol!
That sounds like you had a good lesson :smile:. How many lessons have you had now?

My next one's on Thursday...reeeally want to start the turn in the road...I feel like I'm really behind, and it's frustrating me. I've had 17 hours of lessons (and I know I moaned about this last time I posted here...with no response at all...), and...I want to move on! Do you think I should ask my instructor about it?
i went out with my mum to do 2 hours practice today. All went well, manouvers are getting there- test is a week today arrrh.
i still sometimes mess up on the parallel park, i never know when to turn back the other way- i think aslong as i go slow and calm down i will be okay.
purple-girl
That sounds like you had a good lesson :smile:. How many lessons have you had now?

My next one's on Thursday...reeeally want to start the turn in the road...I feel like I'm really behind, and it's frustrating me. I've had 17 hours of lessons (and I know I moaned about this last time I posted here...with no response at all...), and...I want to move on! Do you think I should ask my instructor about it?

Definitely :yep: - If you feel you are ready to progress, let your instructor know. I know everyone learns at different rates, however with seventeen lessons gone your instructor should have really gone through all the manouvers by now and you should just be practising.

If you feel your instructor is holding you back, change. There are loads of instructors out there.

As my instructor said to me when I was learning, all learners reach there peak when learning. If they are not entered for a test at there peak, they can only go down from there.
The Stig
Definitely :yep: - If you feel you are ready to progress, let your instructor know. I know everyone learns at different rates, however with seventeen lessons gone your instructor should have really gone through all the manouvers by now and you should just be practising.

If you feel your instructor is holding you back, change. There are loads of instructors out there.

As my instructor said to me when I was learning, all learners reach there peak when learning. If they are not entered for a test at there peak, they can only go down from there.

Well, I'm not sure whether I am ready yet, that's the thing. Yes, I can drive...reasonably well, most of the time, but my confidence can slip, as can my memory. It may be for the best that I haven't started yet, and it may be that once I'm really confident with the actual driving the manoeuvres would come more easily.

And I don't really think he's holding me back, and I don't want to change! For one, I don't want to go through the hassle of changing again. Secondly, I get on with him and don't really have any issues (unlike the other instructor I had at the start) and finally he's also teaching one of my friends which would make it a bit awkward.

I do actually think it's just me being impatient and wanting to move on faster than I maybe should. But who knows? Maybe I'll start the TIR this week or next week and pick it up quickly?
I have my last lesson tomorrow before my test on Friday. I'm already bricking it about the test, and hopefully I'll have a good lesson tomorrow. I had a great lesson last Saturday when I got all of my maneuvers spot on (including that bastard reverse around a corner!) I just need to remember to check my mirrors a lot of the time and not to make any stupid mistakes.
Once you're comfortable with stopping, starting, steering and clutch control, manoeuvres are just a combination of those things, so if you are comfortable with them all, then maybe you should tell your instructor you think you're ready to move on. No point doing the same thing over and over if you don't think you can progress any more

GavinMcG91
I have my last lesson tomorrow before my test on Friday. I'm already bricking it about the test, and hopefully I'll have a good lesson tomorrow. I had a great lesson last Saturday when I got all of my maneuvers spot on (including that bastard reverse around a corner!) I just need to remember to check my mirrors a lot of the time and not to make any stupid mistakes.

Make sure you don't do what I did and concentrate so much on observation you forget things like indicators :s-smilie:

What my instructor said was, if you got your manoeuvres perfected, don't do them just before your test, incase you mess up and you're thinking, "oh no I've messed up" during your test, as opposed to, "well, last time I did them fine so I'll be okay"
GavinMcG91

Hope your lesson goes okay for you, and more importantly the test!! Im the same i just have to rememeber mirrors and observations, sometimes i think i will fail on minors if im not careful.
GOOD LUCK X
I have my theory on Thursday after my lesson and i have an awesome dvd i've been practicing with for a while and am fairly confident, passing all but only just. Any tips? I'm kinda nervous that i am only just passing them at the minute.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending