The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

I had lessons on Thursday and Friday (both 1hr - my 4th and 5th lessons). I did turns in the road again, but my lessons were late so couldn't see much and so just drove mainly, doing roundabouts again. I'm fine with driving and changing gears, speed sometimes a little too high when turning/going round corners in to other side roads. Tried parallel parking last night which went OK, slightly easier than turn in the road, I just need to get the sequence in my head properly before next time and it should be OK - like a pattern I need to learn because I find it difficult to remember to do loads of things at once. My instructor said my steering is good and I'm quite a natural driver - not nervous behind the wheel, not phased by traffic etc.

Only problem is I'm still stalling a bit too often when I don't want to be at all. I think I'm thinking about it too much, particularly when I'm at the front of a queue at traffic lights etc, I think "Oh better get moving quickly" and then bring the clutch up too quickly, hence stalling. I also occasionally forget to put it back in to 1st gear when I'm stopped which again sometimes leads to me stalling when I try to move off in 2nd (although I'm not too terrible at this, only done it a couple of times). I'm just sick of stalling though as it makes me feel rubbish even when I've done everything else well that lesson, and makes me feel like I'm making no progress, even though I'm doing manoeuvres and major roundabouts since my 3rd lesson! It'll be even worse if I get a petrol car, because the Mini I'm learning in is a diesel and they're meant to be more difficult to stall! So annoying.
Reply 581
prettyblueeyes

Only problem is I'm still stalling a bit too often when I don't want to be at all. I think I'm thinking about it too much, particularly when I'm at the front of a queue at traffic lights etc, I think "Oh better get moving quickly" and then bring the clutch up too quickly, hence stalling. I also occasionally forget to put it back in to 1st gear when I'm stopped which again sometimes leads to me stalling when I try to move off in 2nd (although I'm not too terrible at this, only done it a couple of times). I'm just sick of stalling though as it makes me feel rubbish even when I've done everything else well that lesson, and makes me feel like I'm making no progress, even though I'm doing manoeuvres and major roundabouts since my 3rd lesson! It'll be even worse if I get a petrol car, because the Mini I'm learning in is a diesel and they're meant to be more difficult to stall! So annoying.

I'm in a very similar situation to you - I'm learning in a diesel and plan to have a petrol car when I pass my test. I didn't think there was a big difference, and there isn't if you learn in a petrol then go to a diesel, but vice versa it can be a bit difficult.

The difference is that - you know when you move away from stationary, first gear, bring the clutch up to the bite, handbrake off, off you go, gas down....yeah?

Well you may have also been taught to "set the gas" also - first gear, set the gas (i.e. put your foot down on the accelerator a bit), THEN clutch to the bite and handbrake off - it gets you going a bit quicker. Well in a petrol car you HAVE to do it this way - if you took your foot all the way off the clutch and then put your foot down on the gas, well you'd stall. Grrr!

Tell your driving instructor you'll probably be driving a petrol car when you pass, so ask him if he'll teach you how to set the gas and make sure you do it like that from now on. I was taught how to do that in my last lesson and found it really quite hard after having done it the other way for 12hrs worth of lessons! :rolleyes: Stalled LOADS, lol :redface:

But am trying to get used to it because as you say - if I go and get a petrol car and just stall all the time I'll look a right plonker!
^ My plan is to buy a diesel car lol.

I tried my mothers petrol car and I managed ok and didn't stall as such but it was weird because I couldn't hear the engine at all and therefore had no idea if I was in the right gear or finding the bite in the right place.
Reply 583
:wavey: lesson on thursday.:smile:
I had my 7th lesson today, another mixed bag of some parts being good and others awful.

I stalled three times, my instructor seemed to raise his voice a little on some occasions when I did poor.

Can someone clarify the procedure when entering/leaving a junction?

IMO, is this right?

Entering - If Im in 4th, brake slowly, clutch down then put it into second (One occasion I didnt fully put it into second and left in 4th!) Release the clutch, then brake again and at the same time making the turn?

Leaving - If approaching the end, brake, clutch down, put it into 1st. Now I at times, put the clutch up at biting point. Once peeked forward, release the brake, then clutch and move away.

Is this right? This is seeming to be a big problem for me.

My instructor made clear to me to build my speed ASAP but Im 1 of those people who dont like going too quick, I tend to be afraid of speed. Anyone else prefer the cautious approach?

If anyone can clarify these issues, it'd be appreciated.

:-)
Reply 585
Aky786UK
I had my 7th lesson today, another mixed bag of some parts being good and others awful.

I stalled three times, my instructor seemed to raise his voice a little on some occasions when I did poor.

Can someone clarify the procedure when entering/leaving a junction?

IMO, is this right?

Entering - If Im in 4th, brake slowly, clutch down then put it into second (One occasion I didnt fully put it into second and left in 4th!) Release the clutch, then brake again and at the same time making the turn?

Leaving - If approaching the end, brake, clutch down, put it into 1st. Now I at times, put the clutch up at biting point. Once peeked forward, release the brake, then clutch and move away.

Is this right? This is seeming to be a big problem for me.

My instructor made clear to me to build my speed ASAP but Im 1 of those people who dont like going too quick, I tend to be afraid of speed. Anyone else prefer the cautious approach?

If anyone can clarify these issues, it'd be appreciated.

:-)

Yeah for example if you were in 4th and wanted to enter a junction keep braking then when you're a few metres from junction get into 2nd using clutch down and keep brakin while slowly bringing up the clutch and then release the brake and start accelerating and go into gears. if you find you can't go from 4th to 2nd easilty on occasion dont panic, just slip it into 3rd first then slide it into 2nd, you won't be given even a minor in your test for progerssive gear changes :smile:
I used to prefer the cuatious approach but there's nothing be afriad of! it can be more dangerous to go slower when coming out of a junction,people may misjudge your speed and have to stop harshly etc. Just gently build speed and remember you are in control of the car, if it'[s a bit of a dodgy area as there's parked cars etc go slightly slowly(few miles under)keep in a lower gear(3rd not 4th for example) cus this gives you more control over the car but not holding people up
lower gears for control ftw.
Had another lesson (29th) last week and am due another on friday. I'm doing well on my bay parking, turn in road is good but my parallel parking SUCKS. I'm either up the kerb, or to far away from the kerb. I can't judge when to turn the wheel, and when I do, I turn it too quickly. I need to take my test, I need to be able to transport myself to uni everyday. It's so annoying!!!!!!
Reply 587
ditto girl :rolleyes: do you do the 1-2-1 trick? works quite well
got a lesson tomorrow, at 9am :s-smilie:
Lilian
ditto girl :rolleyes: do you do the 1-2-1 trick? works quite well
Oooh that sounds interesting.... do tell??
Lilian
Yeah for example if you were in 4th and wanted to enter a junction keep braking then when you're a few metres from junction get into 2nd using clutch down and keep brakin while slowly bringing up the clutch and then release the brake and start accelerating and go into gears. if you find you can't go from 4th to 2nd easilty on occasion dont panic, just slip it into 3rd first then slide it into 2nd, you won't be given even a minor in your test for progerssive gear changes :smile:
I used to prefer the cuatious approach but there's nothing be afriad of! it can be more dangerous to go slower when coming out of a junction,people may misjudge your speed and have to stop harshly etc. Just gently build speed and remember you are in control of the car, if it'[s a bit of a dodgy area as there's parked cars etc go slightly slowly(few miles under)keep in a lower gear(3rd not 4th for example) cus this gives you more control over the car but not holding people up
lower gears for control ftw.

Thanks for that. My main issue sometimes is that when I want 2 go in to second, sometimes the gear still is in fourth. Ive done that a couple of times, my instructor very annoyingly likes to point it out "Its still in 4th" or "do you know what gear you're in?"

Any tips on exiting a junction?

Thanks

:smile:
Reply 591
Ilora-Danon
Oooh that sounds interesting.... do tell??

welll first get the two cars paralell so usually you're slightly forward of the other car.
reverse back until you're at the same level(boot or front at the same position as your back) then steer one full turn left.
When the front of your car is approaching the headlight then steer one full turn right and then another full turn right. When you're just about to get all of your car in the gap then turn a final full turn left to straighten up!
Tada..Should be done!..(in theory:wink:)
And remember if you start straight you will end straight! don't be a silly like me and always start wonky :rolleyes:
Just fiddle around with it if it's a steeper hill(may have to steer faster or earlier) and vica versa!
Reply 592
Aky786UK
Thanks for that. My main issue sometimes is that when I want 2 go in to second, sometimes the gear still is in fourth. Ive done that a couple of times, my instructor very annoyingly likes to point it out "Its still in 4th" or "do you know what gear you're in?"

Any tips on exiting a junction?

Thanks

:smile:

Yeah don't worry about that buddy, I still do that and I've had about 30 lessons :rolleyes:. Best tip is just keep calm and recover well ;yes;.
if it's an open junction then get into 2nd in good time and keep your foot lightly on the break as you approach to see if any cars are coming(looking both ways clearly on the approach-so in the text the examiner can't emergency stop you and say you weren't looking :rolleyes:). If it's clear, no need to stop, make your turn and you're away. If it's a closed junction/lots of traffic etc, of course you'll need 1st gear. By closed I mean visibility is bad because of a bush or something :p:.Also obviously if there's a stop sign, stop and put your handbrake on even if it's clear as anything :p:!
Just get into first. Get it ready just below the bite but if you see yourself waiting a long time, I dip it a bit so I don't put so much pressure on my ankle! And don't stall as well. Think positive, if there's a gap you could walk through in cars, you can drive through it easily! Just take your chance and go and if you're in a petrol car keep your revs between 1.5 and 2, I don't really look at the counter anymore. YOu should hear the car's engine at a gentle hum to avoid stalling. I'm guessing your petrol....Diesel cars are practically IMPOSSIBLE to stall especially TDI's :laugh:.
Anyway good luck, and remember practice makes perfect :smile:
Just had a driving lesson my 15th I think.. Was so embarrassed, doing a turn in the road with about 2 cars on either side of me waiting, when all of a sudden I knock on the windscreen wipers. I was so wrapped up in trying to turn them off that I hit the curb.. finally straitened up to see everyone smiling and giggling. Makes me laugh thinking about it now :redface:
Reply 594
coolguy456
Just had a driving lesson my 15th I think.. Was so embarrassed, doing a turn in the road with about 2 cars on either side of me waiting, when all of a sudden I knock on the windscreen wipers. I was so wrapped up in trying to turn them off that I hit the curb.. finally straitened up to see everyone smiling and giggling. Makes me laugh thinking about it now :redface:

bless you :hugs:
Reply 595
I think I've found the two secrets to driving
confidence
and treating all over road users like idiots :ninja:
im gonna be doing roundabouts properly in my next lesson :afraid: ive gone round a few small ones before and i hate them :sad:
I have my test tomorrow!

I am bricking one actually, I have never had a "proper" driving lesson. My dad has been teaching me!
Reply 598
Martyn1989
I have my test tomorrow!

I am bricking one actually, I have never had a "proper" driving lesson. My dad has been teaching me!

Please do tell us how it goes :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
good luck martyn! :hugs: hope it goes well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending