The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
madeyoulook
Theory test tomorrow, im quite confident but still nervous ill make a stupid mistake!

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine.

I had my first driving lesson today :biggrin: I must have done pretty well, since she let me drive home, and I didn't stall or go on the curb (unlike when I went for a drive on Saturday with my dad, and I stalled about three times a minute and spent more time on the pavement than the road.)
Reply 5981
Good luck for the theory madeyoulook, don't worry about the mistakes. I know it's hard but that's probably what made me fail mine

Zosie
Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine.

I had my first driving lesson today :biggrin: I must have done pretty well, since she let me drive home, and I didn't stall or go on the curb (unlike when I went for a drive on Saturday with my dad, and I stalled about three times a minute and spent more time on the pavement than the road.)

Haha, glad it went well! And I went over the pavement last lesson (before today) and I've had 20 odd :rofl:

Failed my mock test today, whoops :rofl:. He still seems to think I can go for a cancellation in 1 or 2 weeks and so could have a test within a month :eek:. I need to pass soon, but wasn't expecting that soon! Can't see myself passing TBH so might as well just go with it, can't really see a point coming where I'm happy/confident to take it.

I failed on such annoying things too, loads of junctions not making it clear I was looking left, and the speed going up to junctions and rushing through in 2nd rather than going down to 1st and stopping to have a good look. But stopping to look when the roads clear is then going to fail me for hesitation (as my mate found out) so :confused:

Other minors/majors were either for a collection of minors or stupid things like not overtaking a really slow lorry as I knew we were going to turn off soon, but as he hadn't said that I was supposed to be treating it like a test and overtaking anyway

I think he was kind on me though, thought I had done a lot worse than it says I did. I know I went over the speed limit once, and didn't get a major for that, so he either didn't notice (I corrected it quickly) or he either was not being harsh having already given me something like 19 minors.....
I have my test tomorrow, im so confident i can pass (with 26 lessons under my belt) and my instructor says i will pass, but i think nerves might get the better of me.

My legs go like jelly and this will affect me.

Should i just take like 32 pills to calm down? :smile:

Any other suggestions?
Anderson8
I have my test tomorrow, im so confident i can pass (with 26 lessons under my belt) and my instructor says i will pass, but i think nerves might get the better of me.

My legs go like jelly and this will affect me.

Should i just take like 32 pills to calm down? :smile:

Any other suggestions?

Get as good night sleep as you are going to get with nerves
Zack
Good luck for the theory madeyoulook, don't worry about the mistakes. I know it's hard but that's probably what made me fail mine

Haha, glad it went well! And I went over the pavement last lesson (before today) and I've had 20 odd :rofl:

Failed my mock test today, whoops :rofl:. He still seems to think I can go for a cancellation in 1 or 2 weeks and so could have a test within a month :eek:. I need to pass soon, but wasn't expecting that soon! Can't see myself passing TBH so might as well just go with it, can't really see a point coming where I'm happy/confident to take it.

I failed on such annoying things too, loads of junctions not making it clear I was looking left, and the speed going up to junctions and rushing through in 2nd rather than going down to 1st and stopping to have a good look. But stopping to look when the roads clear is then going to fail me for hesitation (as my mate found out) so :confused:

Other minors/majors were either for a collection of minors or stupid things like not overtaking a really slow lorry as I knew we were going to turn off soon, but as he hadn't said that I was supposed to be treating it like a test and overtaking anyway

I think he was kind on me though, thought I had done a lot worse than it says I did. I know I went over the speed limit once, and didn't get a major for that, so he either didn't notice (I corrected it quickly) or he either was not being harsh having already given me something like 19 minors.....

Most junctions are closed so just stop at most of them and stick it into first.
There are a few open ones, but whenever I've come upto them I most usually have to stop.
madeyoulook
Theory test tomorrow, im quite confident but still nervous ill make a stupid mistake!

GOOD LUCK!! YOU WILL BE FINE!! :smile:
Reply 5986
Just been told by my dad that if I pass by June he will buy me a £3000 car! Let the driving begin (again)!
Reply 5987
bob9001
Most junctions are closed so just stop at most of them and stick it into first.
There are a few open ones, but whenever I've come upto them I most usually have to stop.

I'm having a lesson Wednesday when we "discuss the test options in more detail" then another mock on Friday I think, so I'll do that then.

Maybe it's because of being in friends cars and seeing them drive and hardly stop or something but it seems incredibly slow to be stopping and putting it into 1st at junctions where I feel I can see well enough just by slowing down, but it seems that to pass I have to do that and make a massive deal out of things I've done anyway, so I'll try that next time.

Wasn’t planning on getting a car if I finally pass, but thought today that getting one for the summer could be great, and also travel to uni then get rid of it.

*Mike*
Just been told by my dad that if I pass by June he will buy me a £3000 car! Let the driving begin (again)!

Wow, that's a great incentive! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 5988
I just did another mock theory test on my DVD and passed ^_^ and when I go to the section 'am I ready for my exam' it says that I've passed the last 3 tests I've done so the DVD thinks I'm ready which is a nice boost :biggrin:

Last weeks lesson was great aswell, I drove up a one way high street then came back to the car park round the corner from my house and did my first go at bay parking. I did a whole bunch of them going in all different directions and every single one was great, the word perfect was even used a few times! Once I'd done them I'd keep opening the door and checking I was inbetween the lines and then doing a little dance xD

Next lesson is today so we'll see how that goes and what I get up to :smile:

*Mike*

That's so lucky! Would that include the insurance and stuff or will you be going on your Dads?
*Mike*

That's deffo an incentive/motivation to learning to drive! :smile: Get the ball rolling!!
Reply 5990
*Mike*

Awesome. Just don't let it put any extra pressure on you.
Reply 5991
Cy4nide

That's so lucky! Would that include the insurance and stuff or will you be going on your Dads?

Nope, my dad cant drive due to his poor eyesight, which is why he wants me driving. Im going to have to pay for the insurance but my parents have offered to lend me some money if i can get a job over the summer!

Got my first lesson in 2 years on thursday :biggrin:
I feel bad that I haven't been helping anyone in awhile!

Moved my test from next week to the end of March. I don't think I'll get used to the new car by next week.
Reply 5993
AwesomelyPsycho

Moved my test from next week to the end of March. I don't think I'll get used to the new car by next week.

That's a shame about your test, but hopefully it's for the best and gives you a good chance of getting used to the car :smile:. Good luck for when you do have it :smile:
Just drove by myself into the city centre- very very scary!
Hello again,
I found out that the test I cancelled would have been done so anyway on account of the snow so all is well that ends well I guess. Booked it last night for 19th March at 9.37, as it's on a Thursday the roads shouldn't be too hectic at that time!
Just need to do those damn maneuvers to death now.
OMGGG
I've got my practical test tomorrow at 09.07 :'(

Considering I failed my mock test with 2 majors and 3 minors what do you think my chances are....lol?
AwesomelyPsycho

Sorry to hear about your car and that your test has to be moved- such a shame but good luck for the test in March. :smile:

xxxx
Thanks guys :smile: I just want my car back so bad :frown:

Good luck guys for your tests!
Zack

I know I went over the speed limit once, and didn't get a major for that, so he either didn't notice (I corrected it quickly)

Going over the speed limit in a test is not a major. Aslong as you correct it quickly, it's a minor. If keep on going over the limit it's a major. I know someone who passed who got two minors for speeding.

When it comes to speed, it depends on the examiner. The chances are, if you're breaking the limit by 2-3mph the examiner won't notice and won't be looking at your speedometer. So don't think you've instantly failed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending