The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6800
damion87
Well done Zack on passing your 'mock' test - see you can do it remember that for when you take the test it really does help :smile: - Just remember examiners don't know you and they want to ensure the safety of everyone on the road so if you do get turn in the road you can gaurentee they will ask you on a flat (maybe cambered-flat) road but not on a hill so for doing it on a hill is fantastic so well done! - Let me tell you i CANNOT do RRC at all and pre-test i couldnt do a single one and thats not being dramatic it's the truth and then when he asked me to do RRC i went wide and missed a car going passed so got 2 minors in total what im saying is from who can't do it to weirdly doing it on the test ok was a major achievement. From what i read on your previous post i see that you are capable of doing RRC it's just that initial issue that may make you doubt your ability to do it and looking in your side mirror is ok aslong as you do your general observations then thats perfectly ok (aslong as you dont just stare at it for long then you wont occur any minors). Your bay parking seemed to be a miscommunication error so you can reverse into a bay just now into the correct bay and i know you will be fantastic at it. Remember you only need to do two out of the three manouvers so i wish you the best of luck on when you have your test whether thats end of may or after your exams, I have read many of your post's through-out my time of learning to drive (and i can still say i am learning to drive with pass plus) and may i say seeing your determination to pass was a kay factor in what made me want to pass, seeing people such as yourself so passionate to pass is just wonderful to see - Good luck Zack for when you do take your test XD

Thanks... yea the RRC would have been a major the amount I was looking in the mirror though.....

Impossible princess
The DVLA website is driving me mad. It's not working properly so I can't book my test :frown: grrr £62 for the test aswel now? What a joke I thought it was £56 :frown:

Yea it's a joke, didn't realise it had gone up again, thought it would though, new tax year. I can't get on it at the moment
I passed guys!
2 minors..I'm so happy! Third time lucky is what they say and it worked today :biggrin:
Seems like a good week for learners in this thread...well done to everyone else and thanks for all your stories..it's been a great place to read and discuss everyone's problems/successes :biggrin:
Reply 6802
diamondlad
I passed guys!
2 minors..I'm so happy! Third time lucky is what they say and it worked today :biggrin:
Seems like a good week for learners in this thread...well done to everyone else and thanks for all your stories..it's been a great place to read and discuss everyone's problems/successes :biggrin:

Well done! :smile:
Zack
Well done! :smile:

diamondlad
I passed guys!

Nice one :thumbsup:
Reply 6805
:biggrin: I passed my theory today, just thought i'd throw it in hahaha
Reply 6806
I am loving the people on this forum... So much positive things happening at the moment and congratulations on passing Diamondlad, I bet the feeling of passing hasn't quite sunk in yet, I hope you have a fantastic driving experience now as a full license holder XD
Reply 6807
Hahaha just as i posted my last post about positive things happening well just like that - there is another positive thing that just happened! Yayyyyyyy congratulations Betty P on passing your theory, Were you nervous at all for it? What a milestone towards the whole driving experience to achieve so well done XD
Reply 6808
Betty P
:biggrin: I passed my theory today, just thought i'd throw it in hahaha

Well done! :smile:. How did you find the Hazard Perception bit?
It really is great, I wasnt at all confident to begin with because when I was waiting for my pre test lesson the rain was terrible, I thought this is a great start! Then I got parallel park which i cannot stand..on quite a busy road really aswell. Somehow managed it and kept thinking I'd driven quite well...had traffic lights on a hill..stuck in traffic...another thing I'm not fond of :P But I somehow managed to do it! I think trying to stay calm and positive is the key thing, as cliche as it sounds!
I finally plucked up the courage to ask instructor about booking a test today, he said no i cant book until i pass a mock. Great since the waiting list is 7 weeks long and im almost test ready now, plus i need to either pass or stop in May!
Reply 6811
madeyoulook
I finally plucked up the courage to ask instructor about booking a test today, he said no i cant book until i pass a mock. Great since the waiting list is 7 weeks long and im almost test ready now, plus i need to either pass or stop in May!

When is your next lesson? Can you ask him for another mock then?

Ask him why he feels you HAVE to pass a mock first. I failed both mine but still got to book a test. Unless you are really failing horribly then with that waiting list, and with you needing to pass in May, they should let you book it

I know there is a clause that they reserve the right not to provide a car for the test if they feel you are not ready etc, in which case if he sticks by that and won't let you book a test I'd get a new instructor to be honest. If he's not going to let you book one or provide the car then it looks like your only choice :frown:.

Unless he plans on going for a short notice (~3 weeks) test, which you get by phoning the test centre, if that's the case then it's understandable, but he should explain that, rather than saying you have to pass a mock first

Good luck! :smile:
Zack
When is your next lesson? Can you ask him for another mock then?

Ask him why he feels you HAVE to pass a mock first. I failed both mine but still got to book a test. Unless you are really failing horribly then with that waiting list, and with you needing to pass in May, they should let you book it

I know there is a clause that they reserve the right not to provide a car for the test if they feel you are not ready etc, in which case if he sticks by that and won't let you book a test I'd get a new instructor to be honest. If he's not going to let you book one or provide the car then it looks like your only chance :frown:.

Unless he plans on going for a short notice (~3 weeks) test, which you get by phoning the test centre, if that's the case then it's understandable, but he should explain that, rather than saying you have to pass a mock first

Good luck! :smile:

Well i asked him, and just mentioned i would like to book a test for the 2nd week or may, which is about 6 weeks time and as the waiting list is long id prefer to just get it booked. He said that he wont let me until i pass a mock (already failed 3) because if i cant pass a mock im not ready to do the test and spend £100 just to fail. Fair enough but i feel i can be ready for that week since im doing mock tests now! :mad: He also said the waiting list is rubbish and people get cancellations all of the time :o:

I would swap instructors, but he is my third instructor (one died, one was terrible) and he is good. I just think he is being too cautious and i dont have time for that, since i will be starting a 40 hour job in may and wont be able to fit lessons around it, plus i will need to drive to new job so need to at least have attempted the test!
Reply 6813
madeyoulook
Well i asked him, and just mentioned i would like to book a test for the 2nd week or may, which is about 6 weeks time and as the waiting list is long id prefer to just get it booked. He said that he wont let me until i pass a mock (already failed 3) because if i cant pass a mock im not ready to do the test and spend £100 just to fail. Fair enough but i feel i can be ready for that week since im doing mock tests now! :mad: He also said the waiting list is rubbish and people get cancellations all of the time :o:

I would swap instructors, but he is my third instructor (one died, one was terrible) and he is good. I just think he is being too cautious and i dont have time for that, since i will be starting a 40 hour job in may and wont be able to fit lessons around it, plus i will need to drive to new job so need to at least have attempted the test!

LOL

Wow, I failed my mock test badly, yet my instructor still said go ahead and book your test for a months time, so I did.

That is a bit harsh, a mock always will be worse because your instructor is your harshest critic, they pick up on all the small minors to try and eradicate them from your driving.
madeyoulook

I think this is unwarranted. I failed all four mock tests severely but it was still me who had the power to book the test and the car, and I ended up passing (even though it was second time anyway :tongue:). I booked the test before he even signed the declaration of test readiness.
ElegantElephant™
I think this is unwarranted. I failed all four mock tests severely but it was still me who had the power to book the test and the car, and I ended up passing (even though it was second time anyway :tongue:). I booked the test before he even signed the declaration of test readiness.

I also think its unfair but there isnt alot i can do about it. I have my own car but dont want to do it in that as its tempremental and plus i have learnt all of my manouvers in instructors car and feel more confident in it.

I would also find it funny if i hadnt spent so much time and money on this only to be told no pay for more mocks first :o:
hi there, silly question.
but do we have to provide our own vehicle for the car practical driving test?

just passed my theory test today :biggrin:
Reply 6817
madeyoulook

Mine said book it if I want to, then move it forward/backward if we feel we need to. I can understand him not wanting you to fail, but if you need to pass in May and think you are ready to take the test then he should allow you to. Also with another months worth of lessons surely he should be getting the mistakes out of your driving? You are not driving THAT badly!

zKlown
That is a bit harsh, a mock always will be worse because your instructor is your harshest critic, they pick up on all the small minors to try and eradicate them from your driving.

Exactly. Any instructor who is saying pass a mock before booking, given the length of the waiting list, is only out for money IMO

I found my test was actually easier than the mock, because I know one of the junctions I sped out of on my test got me a minor for observation and for use of speed, I know my instructor would have given me a serious for both, because he has already done so for less (after it happen I was thinking **** that's another major then!), so yea they are just being really harsh I think, if they were to give you a mock and say oh well that's a minor but it doesn't matter etc then you won't be prepared for the actual test well enough, and might even take the practical test lightly

EmbracedBySin

If you are with an instructor they provide it, and you pay for your test directly to DSA, you also pay your instructor (generally about £40/50) which covers an hour lesson before and the use of the vehicle and insurance during the test :smile:

Well done on the theory :smile:
diamondlad
It really is great, I wasnt at all confident to begin with because when I was waiting for my pre test lesson the rain was terrible, I thought this is a great start! Then I got parallel park which i cannot stand..on quite a busy road really aswell. Somehow managed it and kept thinking I'd driven quite well...had traffic lights on a hill..stuck in traffic...another thing I'm not fond of :P But I somehow managed to do it! I think trying to stay calm and positive is the key thing, as cliche as it sounds!

Congrats, dude!

Yeah the rain was a worry for me yesterday as well, but it was alright in the end. And I hate parallel parking as well cos I always end up a bit wide from the kerb, and in my pre-test lesson I was hitting the kerb and all sorts - my instructor was well worried!

I was just trying to remember what happened yesterday and I can't remember whether or not I had my seatbelt on. I must have done, but I simply can't remember!
EmbracedBySin

No the test centre doesn't provide you with a car. You can either use your own car or your driving instructors car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending