The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey, i'm only gonna be able to start driving in july which is pretty late compared to the majority of people in my year who have earlyer birthdays, just wondering how long does it take people to pass on average? If possible i'd want to pass some time during the first half term of upper sixth, but is that being a bit optimistic even with lots of driving practice in summer?
Reply 7241
SC17
Tabris, how far did you get with lessons? Coz if you've still got quite a bit to do then I think it will be quite difficult to pass by July, unless you take an intensive course? Hopefully you'd be able to afford that.

I was about to take a test before I stopped, just some cock up meant that my test didn't book properly for some reason and I haven't driven since.

Zack
It'll be a push with not being here, when in July does it run out? If it's the end then you have more of a chance.....

Maybe you could see if you could get an instructor and get their ADI number to book a test that would take place before your theory expires, even if it is only say a week before to give you the most time possible to get back up to standard, then you've just gotta try and get enough lessons in during that time.

If you then feel you aren't ready to take the test then cancel it to save the £62 and you would have to then retake the theory and book a test later on, and obviously if you were to fail you would also have to retake the theory to then be able to book another practical :frown:.

Unless you are very lucky, it looks like you might only have enough time for 1 test (especially with the trip to NY!) before you theory expires, so IMO it would be best to have that test as late as possible to give you the best possible chance :smile:. You could chance getting 2 relatively "short notice" ones though as a backup incase you fail, but then it's getting back up to standard before the first

Good luck with driving again! :smile:. If you were up to test standard before, then reading reports from others, it shouldn't take you too long to get back into driving, so even if you were to have say 2 lessons a week it would be possible if you were at a good enough standard before :smile:

I've got till the end of July, so quite some time, fortunately.

I just want to get Uni for this year finished so I can get things moving again, unfortunately, that isn't happening haha :frown: Why couldn't I just do it when I was 17 like everyone else haha
Reply 7242
Impossible princess
Test is a month today :woo: had a lesson this morning. Did an absolutley crap paralell park again :mad: didn't hit the kurb but was miles away from it, then tried again and got totally confused about which way I was stearing, I honestly felt like crying for a moment it's so frustrating!
Otherwise we did a lot of duel carriageway stuff, slip roads, feeder roads and so on that was all ok. It's wierd I used to pretty terrorifed on roads that were 50mph+ but today I was driving at 60-70 and just talking away to my instructor about uni :biggrin: at least that's something positive and I didn't **** up on a roundabout for once. If it wasn't for the stupid manouevre's I'd be fine :p:
Booked a two hour lesson for monday next week, expensive! I forgot to ask what we'd be doing, I assume we'll start learning the test routes. I can see two hours of driving being quite exhausting for some reason! Will give me an idea of what the test day is like though.

That's good you've got a test to look forward too :smile:. I hate it when manoeuvres go wrong too, it's so frustrating! :frown:

Good that your general driving is good :smile:. 2 hours isn't TOO bad, but it's certainly strange the first few times. I had a few before my last test, then went back to 1 hour, got a 2 hour one on Monday and another on Thursday, then essentially another on Friday (test).....not looking forward to it!

On the test day you will have a bit of a break in between though, because of waiting and doing the eyesight checks/show me tell me etc, then the test is only about 40mins anyway so it's not too bad, especially not when you have the goal of potentially passing at the end of the session :smile:

Tabris
I just want to get Uni for this year finished so I can get things moving again, unfortunately, that isn't happening haha :frown: Why couldn't I just do it when I was 17 like everyone else haha

Yea that's the thing, I want to give up/take a break if I fail again and do it at uni, but I know I probably won't so if I'm going to pass it has to be now :frown:
Good luck with your July target though :smile:. That's basically mine too because August will be a really stupid month with results and football and everything so want it done before then anyway, even though if the worst came to the worst I could use August, I really really hope I don't have to!

pork products
Nice! Good day for the tsr peeps today.

Ahhh dont people cancel their tests?! The waiting list is the middle of June and I have to pass before then or I am back home and the roads will all be weird.

They do, but you have to keep checking, lots (I mean lots!). Good luck :smile:
That's good you've got a test to look forward too :smile:. I hate it when manoeuvres go wrong too, it's so frustrating! :frown:

Good that your general driving is good :smile:. 2 hours isn't TOO bad, but it's certainly strange the first few times. I had a few before my last test, then went back to 1 hour, got a 2 hour one on Monday and another on Thursday, then essentially another on Friday (test).....not looking forward to it!

On the test day you will have a bit of a break in between though, because of waiting and doing the eyesight checks/show me tell me etc, then the test is only about 40mins anyway so it's not too bad, especially not when you have the goal of potentially passing at the end of the session :smile:

I am looking forward to it because I've been learning for an embarassingly long time lol I just really need to sort out this paralell park! I think that if we practise it in the 2hr lesson I'm gonna insist that I do it over and over again untill I get it right. I thought that the test was a full hour untill a few days ago, was pretty relieved when I found that it's 40mins haha.
Best of luck for your test, the major you got last time with the van sounded pretty ridiculous, you deserve to pass this time!
Reply 7244
Impossible princess
I am looking forward to it because I've been learning for an embarassingly long time lol I just really need to sort out this paralell park! I think that if we practise it in the 2hr lesson I'm gonna insist that I do it over and over again untill I get it right. I thought that the test was a full hour untill a few days ago, was pretty relieved when I found that it's 40mins haha.
Best of luck for your test, the major you got last time with the van sounded pretty ridiculous, you deserve to pass this time!

Yea doing it over and over could help, hopefully you get to grips with it :smile:. It's annoying too because it's not like bay park if you are having problems you can't vary it, like I have changed my bay park to left only, but for the others it's always the same

Haha yea I'm so glad it's only 40, mine was less though, it depends on the conditions really, where there is usually traffic there wasn't and, coming from that direction, there was no way of extending it without being late back

Thanks :smile:. Hopefully you pass as well :smile:. Your test is in the week that I was going to have mine! I just can't believe it's next week...It’s like wow, one minute I was passing my theory in January and had plenty of time to pass before June, now I have to possibly extend my deadline until August and suddenly realise that I don't have so much time afterall!!
Just wondering how many minors is it until it turns into a serious? Like on one category like hesitance.

Thanks
Reply 7246
pork products
Just wondering how many minors is it until it turns into a serious? Like on one category like hesitance.

Thanks

The 4th Minor would then make it a serious. I got 3 on observation (surprised I didn't get a serious outright for that actually), 1 more would have been another major added to my list :banghead:
Zack
The 4th Minor would then make it a serious. I got 3 on observation (surprised I didn't get a serious outright for that actually), 1 more would have been another major added to my list :banghead:

lol thanks, I know it is such a pain getting minors

I think hesitance is the one that will really **** me up as I am really not used to driving.

When is your test?
Reply 7248
pork products
lol thanks, I know it is such a pain getting minors

I think hesitance is the one that will really **** me up as I am really not used to driving.

When is your test?

Yea, I was worried about "undue hesitation", especially because they are really harsh on it at Brislington, but luckily there was no real need to stop on my test route, he took me loads of give way things, but there was never anyone coming!

Next Friday :frown:. When is yours?
Just had one of the best lessons i've ever had i think, went for a drive about 10 miles out of where i've been learning and saw Wales :biggrin:, nailed not one but two parallel parks and a left reverse AND an emergency stop! Am really happy and am starting to think that i may have a chance at passing this test June 11th :smile: Yey....How's everyone else getting on?
eeeee I can finally break properly!!!!! lol

My instructor drove me out miles away from where I live because all around me is just bloody speed bumps and I couldn't get into 4th with them. So we did loads of steering around where she took me and then I drove home.

She had to do the clutch control and the gears for the roundabouts on the way, but it was my second lesson so wasn't that bothered about that.
Zack
Yea, I was worried about "undue hesitation", especially because they are really harsh on it at Brislington, but luckily there was no real need to stop on my test route, he took me loads of give way things, but there was never anyone coming!

Next Friday :frown:. When is yours?

Yeah I think I will get into driving again and finding the gaps pretty easily I just had a 2 month break :frown:

Ohh Good Luck for that :smile:

I have one booked for early June, but I am looking for cancelations and my instructor is too :smile:
Hope the driving is going well for everyone. On the subject of two hour lessons, I have had a couple but I find that I kind of lose concentration towards the end of them and often come away with a headache.

I have an hour and a half lesson tonight from 8pm-10pm! Think my instructor is a bit of a workaholic doing lessons that late, I may struggle to stay awake but it will be good to do a wee bit of night time driving.
My driving instructor said that was my best driving so far yesterday. :proud:
Reply 7254
pork products
Yeah I think I will get into driving again and finding the gaps pretty easily I just had a 2 month break :frown:

Ohh Good Luck for that :smile:

I have one booked for early June, but I am looking for cancelations and my instructor is too :smile:

Hopefully you'll get a cancellation :smile:. Still 4 weeks so there will be some, it's just if you can do them or not!

Annoying thing about mine is that people will know it's a test, well a 2 hour lesson (might not realise/think anything) but then a 2 hour lesson Thursday followed by a "lesson" Friday seems very odd! I just really hope I pass, because I can't keep up the waiting for a test thing for ever. If I ever pass I won't care about it and will say I've failed (hopefully only 1!) but while I'm learning it's annoying because then I'll get harassed about when my next test is

Kirstin85
Hope the driving is going well for everyone. On the subject of two hour lessons, I have had a couple but I find that I kind of lose concentration towards the end of them and often come away with a headache.

I have an hour and a half lesson tonight from 8pm-10pm! Think my instructor is a bit of a workaholic doing lessons that late, I may struggle to stay awake but it will be good to do a wee bit of night time driving.

Yea I lose concentration, or just get annoyed, so 6 hours in 5 days won't be the best. Well if I pass then by the end of it I'll be delighted, if I fail again I really won't be happy. I can just see myself getting RRC :frown:. The others I could just about manage, but I think I'll fail on observation :frown:

Wow that is really late to be working! Mine had an hour lesson at half 7 or something one time, but until 10 :eek:
Enchanté
My driving instructor said that was my best driving so far yesterday. :proud:

:biggrin: that's great :smile: Must make you happy and looking forward to next week too!
Zack

Hopefully you'll get a cancellation :smile:. Still 4 weeks so there will be some, it's just if you can do them or not!

Annoying thing about mine is that people will know it's a test, well a 2 hour lesson (might not realise/think anything) but then a 2 hour lesson Thursday followed by a "lesson" Friday seems very odd! I just really hope I pass, because I can't keep up the waiting for a test thing for ever. If I ever pass I won't care about it and will say I've failed (hopefully only 1!) but while I'm learning it's annoying because then I'll get harassed about when my next test is

Yea I lose concentration, or just get annoyed, so 6 hours in 5 days won't be the best. Well if I pass then by the end of it I'll be delighted, if I fail again I really won't be happy. I can just see myself getting RRC :frown:. The others I could just about manage, but I think I'll fail on observation :frown:

Wow that is really late to be working! Mine had an hour lesson at half 7 or something one time, but until 10

:biggrin: that's great :smile: Must make you happy and looking forward to next week too!

Indeed. :biggrin: he was really pleased at me coming out of junctions and stuff, I managed the clutch okay too when coming out so I didn't zoom across.:p: and when turning right I didn't cut across corners or anything like that yep. =)
He said next week might have a tiny bit of a drive round in usual spot then he said if I wanted to I could go on like that busy route which I messed up a few weeks back.:p:
Now that I know junctions and other stuffs. =)
Got my third lesson today! :smile:
I've really enjoyed my first two lessons, i've been learning clutch control, stopping and starting and gear changing so far. The thing i really suck at is steering round a roundabout, seriously my hand are all over the place! haha Oh well i suppose practice makes perfect.
x
Reply 7257
felicityx
Got my third lesson today! :smile:
I've really enjoyed my first two lessons, i've been learning clutch control, stopping and starting and gear changing so far. The thing i really suck at is steering round a roundabout, seriously my hand are all over the place! haha Oh well i suppose practice makes perfect.
x

Hope it goes well :smile:

It's the mini roundabouts that REALLY annoy me! You'll get used to it though :smile:
Reply 7258
Kirstin85

Does not compute :wink:
Lethal`
Does not compute :wink:

ooops...I meant 830pm - 10pm.. :o:

Had a really good lesson last night, did the emergency stop which was fine, only did it at 30mph...can imagine it would be scary if you had to do it at 60mph or something! Felt pretty pleased as that was the last thing I had to learn so just have to practice now....feeling much more confident about driving! My instructor keeps saying that I am nearly there, which is good...am hoping to sit my test at the start of July, as my theory test isn't till June 2nd.

Good luck to anyone with tests in the next few days! :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending