The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
nnkuk
Lilian, stop taking the pills and come down of the roof, we all love you and want you to come down safely.Just hand me the pills....

*random*

:mute:
Reply 761
lol @ this thread :p:

PS. I agree, theory test is easy, if not a tad BORING (especially hazard perception where the driver of the car is clearly someone who doesn't know how to go over 15mph!)
Had my 2nd 1.5 hour lesson yesterday =D

I've started on clutch control and feel quite confident at generally just moving the car around. The only thing is, there's this one road that I always stall at the end of, especially when there's traffic behind me. Any tips?
Reply 763
PringlePops

I've started on clutch control and feel quite confident at generally just moving the car around. The only thing is, there's this one road that I always stall at the end of, especially when there's traffic behind me. Any tips?

Just put the clutch down a little earlier, and control with the brake. Easing off , and pushing down to get to the line..
Reply 764
PringlePops

Don't drive down that road anymore? :wink: hehe :p:
Reply 765
i've been told get the clutch down when the revs are dropping below 10, just get it down earlier than you have been doing.
Reply 766
I must be the only learner in the world driving a car without a rev meter.
Reply 767
nnkuk
I must be the only learner in the world driving a car without a rev meter.

In fairness, I never ever use my rev meter - I just go by the sound of the engine. I didn't even use it when I first started learning, I guess if I'd been taught to look at it then I would use it now, but I never have and in fact I've never really had a good look at it so couldn't tell you what it really looks like (except being a circle with a little indicater stick lol!)
Reply 768
well it was just to help me adjust to a different car, the instructor pointed it out, solved the majority of my stalling problems, i don't use it that much really now though, i go more by speed of car, and can judge when i need to put it down by that a lot more now.
dobbs
Don't drive down that road anymore? :wink: hehe :p:

xD Now that's an excellent answer. Cheers for the other tips guys :wink:
Reply 770
PringlePops
xD Now that's an excellent answer. Cheers for the other tips guys :wink:

Hehe :biggrin:

To be fair, as stupid as an answer that is, psychologically it's kinda feasible. There is this one tiny little crossroad that my instructor always takes me to, and you have to stop at it as it's a closed junction and there are loads of parked cars. I never turn either way, just go straight across - but for the first few times I managed to stall, every time, right there!!

The first time was because I was in 2nd gear by accident. The second time, I thought to myself "I stalled here last time because I was in 2nd...don't do that again!" and then stopped, and left it in 2nd...and stalled! :rolleyes: lol
dobbs

The first time was because I was in 2nd gear by accident. The second time, I thought to myself "I stalled here last time because I was in 2nd...don't do that again!" and then stopped, and left it in 2nd...and stalled! :rolleyes: lol

I think I'm in the same sort of situation, the first time I stalled it was just because I was in the wrong gear, but when I approached it again I was thinking about the time before...and of course that time I had the mother of all idiot BMW's right up my arse, which didn't exactly help.
Reply 772
PringlePops
I think I'm in the same sort of situation, the first time I stalled it was just because I was in the wrong gear, but when I approached it again I was thinking about the time before...and of course that time I had the mother of all idiot BMW's right up my arse, which didn't exactly help.

lol I've learned now to ignore idiots behind me, though my instructor is hilarious and if anyone gets up really close and being annoying he'll turn around and stick his two fingers up at them and shout "**** OFF" haha :laugh:
Reply 773
I Rock.
Reply 774
Original post by &#9829
I Rock.

Liar :p:
Reply 775
dobbs
Liar :p:

:hmmm: admit it ;spank;
Reply 776
Original post by &#9829