The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
CJN
Yeah I had it on and bought a ticket and then wanted to leave but some fancy man in a merc was literally a couple of inches away from the back of my car despite the L plates and the steepest hill I had ever been on.

I managed to bring the clutch up to the bite and gave it lots of revs before letting the hadnbrake off so I didnt stall and I made it I just wanted to know if I was doing it properly thanks for the help.

Stupid when people do that, some idiot thought it was funny to overtake me on the motorway sliproad today (WTF!). But you don't go up behind a LEARNER like that :eek: (No offence to learners! I just wouldn't want to pressure anyone knowing they've got a car behind them, but especially learners)

And yea that's how I've always done it, although you get frowned at for using too much revs, nevermind :p:
Reply 7981
Zack
Stupid when people do that, some idiot thought it was funny to overtake me on the motorway sliproad today (WTF!). But you don't go up behind a LEARNER like that :eek: (No offence to learners! I just wouldn't want to pressure anyone knowing they've got a car behind them, but especially learners)

And yea that's how I've always done it, although you get frowned at for using too much revs, nevermind :p:

Yeah I wouldnt have used as much revs but didnt want to roll back even a little and stalling would have been the worst case scenario.

Some people are funny about learners but some are also very good about it etc.
Reply 7982
just did my 4th lesson :teeth:

navigated about 6 roundabouts :teeth:
Have my second test on Monday and am stupidly nervous...more than last time! Not sure what i will do if i fail this one...hopefully i won't do anything silly again like indicate wrong on a roundabout once...YES once. silly examiner.
Well i failed my first test today, on two simple things aswell!

I got onto a dual carriageway in the right hand lane, as i had to overtake a lorry. Then i completely forgot about moving back into the left hand lane!

Oh, and blindspot checks. I forgot them!
Hi people, I was a regular poster here this time last year when I was learning. After a failed test, I stopped and had a 2 hour lesson today after a year with a new instructor. He was really cool, relaxed and never lost his rag despite some scares and odd stalls here and there.

I always get abit edgy when Im driving up hills and there's a traffic light stop coming up because Im sure Ill end up stalling like I did today. I hope the light stays green so I can go through and not have to stop, any tips on driving up hills and not stalling and on hill starts in general?

Cheers

:smile:
Reply 7986
tom//
just did my 4th lesson :teeth:

navigated about 6 roundabouts :teeth:

I hate roundabouts with a passion, 6 would REALLY wind me up!

k823127
Have my second test on Monday and am stupidly nervous...more than last time! Not sure what i will do if i fail this one...hopefully i won't do anything silly again like indicate wrong on a roundabout once...YES once. silly examiner.

Awww! Good luck :smile:.
Reply 7987
Scott_Maslen_Fan
Well i failed my first test today, on two simple things aswell!

I got onto a dual carriageway in the right hand lane, as i had to overtake a lorry. Then i completely forgot about moving back into the left hand lane!

Oh, and blindspot checks. I forgot them!

:frown: Oh dear! :frown:. Awwww that sucks! :frown: At least you haven't got much to improve on for next time, it's just about remembering to do what you normally do :smile:.

Aky786UK
Hi people, I was a regular poster here this time last year when I was learning. After a failed test, I stopped and had a 2 hour lesson today after a year with a new instructor. He was really cool, relaxed and never lost his rag despite some scares and odd stalls here and there.

I always get abit edgy when Im driving up hills and there's a traffic light stop coming up because Im sure Ill end up stalling like I did today. I hope the light stays green so I can go through and not have to stop, any tips on driving up hills and not stalling and on hill starts in general?

Cheers

:smile:

I hate that too! For driving up hills go down a gear, dependant on speed, and just stop like normal. For starting find the bite and just rev it, lift the clutch slowly :smile:.
Reply 7988
Zack
I hate roundabouts with a passion, 6 would REALLY wind me up!

hahaha it didnt bother me, just gotta keep cool and youll be fine :pierre:
Reply 7989
tom//
hahaha it didnt bother me, just gotta keep cool and youll be fine :pierre:

Haha! I love the traffic light controlled ones on motorways because they're so big, but things like Hicksgate by my test centre, without lights, really annoyed me. Now that's got traffic lights too haha! Trust it to be after I pass, so unless I get a car I'll never get to experience it with traffic lights :frown:
Reply 7990
Zack
Haha! I love the traffic light controlled ones on motorways because they're so big, but things like Hicksgate by my test centre, without lights, really annoyed me. Now that's got traffic lights too haha! Trust it to be after I pass, so unless I get a car I'll never get to experience it with traffic lights :frown:

yeah i imagine theyd be good :teeth: i hate mini roundabouts though, theyre so annoying
Reply 7991
tom//
yeah i imagine theyd be good :teeth: i hate mini roundabouts though, theyre so annoying

Haha! Yep I hate them too. Got them in Bath and they annoying the hell out of me. The most stupid thing are crossroads :mad:. Had one today, tried to go straight across from minor road to minor road really, but the major road has traffic going along at 60. Took forever! :frown: And because I haven’t driven for 2 months I was like damn could have gone then….and then… :p: Had a real problem judging speed today, resulting in quite a lot of late harsh breaking, but hey, I was always good at that anyway :p:
Reply 7992
Zack
Haha! Yep I hate them too. Got them in Bath and they annoying the hell out of me. The most stupid thing are crossroads :mad:. Had one today, tried to go straight across from minor road to minor road really, but the major road has traffic going along at 60. Took forever! :frown: And because I haven’t driven for 2 months I was like damn could have gone then….and then… :p: Had a real problem judging speed today, resulting in quite a lot of late harsh breaking, but hey, I was always good at that anyway :p:

i dont think ive been on a crossroad yet :holmes: ill let you know how i get on :biggrin: :biggrin:
Zack, word of advice, never drive in Hemel Hempstead, they have the magic roundabout... 8 mini roundabouts AROUND 1 big roundabout... Most disorientating thing ever because you go around the mini roundabouts in the opposite direction to the big roundabout and it looks/feels like you're going the wrong way :p:
Reply 7994
kiss_me_now9
Zack, word of advice, never drive in Hemel Hempstead, they have the magic roundabout... 8 mini roundabouts AROUND 1 big roundabout... Most disorientating thing ever because you go around the mini roundabouts in the opposite direction to the big roundabout and it looks/feels like you're going the wrong way :p:

Haha! We have 1 in Bath like that, 2 in a row. In Swindon there are 4 or 5 and they are confusing as hell. I hope yours are not on the test route! :eek3:

And one day I may have to drive to Hemel for football. That alone is enough to make me take the train I think :p:
I don't drive around Hemel, it's too far away thank god! I can take my theory there though, lol.

Which reminds me, my instructor is on holiday for a fortnight and I haven't driven in a while :s-smilie:
My gosh! Anyone got any tips for reversing round a corner in the pouring rain. It was literally bucketing it down when I was out and both the back side window and the mirror were covered with drops so I could hardly see! Eeps.

Gaah am sure I'm gonna fail now. Even managed to hit the kerb when stoppping :s-smilie: Wtf!
Had my first lesson today! It was ok although I got a bit stressed out as it was more fast-paced than I'd imagined - ended up driving home along a dual carriageway at 60mph :-O

Slightly concerning that I seem to swerve slightly into the other lane whenever I change gear :P
How does everyone else make it seem so easy?! haha. Many lessons to come I think...
Reply 7998
musical_moose
Had my first lesson today! It was ok although I got a bit stressed out as it was more fast-paced than I'd imagined - ended up driving home along a dual carriageway at 60mph :-O

Slightly concerning that I seem to swerve slightly into the other lane whenever I change gear :P
How does everyone else make it seem so easy?! haha. Many lessons to come I think...

lol, well done, the instructor must be pretty confident in you, so take it as a good thing :smile: Everyone swerves at first, it goes with practice, just like everything else. When you pass you'll look back and wonder why it seemed so difficult - it really is just like riding a bike.
Had another lesson today, and got my test booked this evening :biggrin:. I think things are generally fine, though positioning at junctions and RRC are my weakest areas I think. Eh well. Test booked for 21st August, I'll let you know how I get on at the time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending