The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
i havre a mini cooper :biggrin: they r easy as anything to drive! good luck for monday u wouldnt have forgotten anything the second u get behind the wheel! x
Reply 81
sophie_05
i havre a mini cooper :biggrin: they r easy as anything to drive! good luck for monday u wouldnt have forgotten anything the second u get behind the wheel! x

You're now my best friend :flutter:
Now let's go write your will for no related reason :ninja:
:love: ya really :biggrin:
Reply 82
ha well anytime ur in Newcastle u can go wild with it! lol :P
Reply 83
:hubba: :deal:
;no;
i've just had my fourth lesson - they're 2 hours lessons, so 8 hours on the road - I've done
right/left turns
hill starts
up to fourth gear
roundabouts
dual carriageways
emergency stop

have done no reversing as of yet - perhaps next week. Only drove around a small residential estate in my first two lessons - started going on high roads and driving myself to and from lessons from 3rd lesson onwards (also changed instructor after first 2 lessons).

moving away is coming along, though i still hope everytime i get to a roundabout or near some lights, there's no traffic coming or the light's are on green, so i don't have to stop!!! my problem is i let my foot off the clutch too quickly, because i'm scared about holding up traffic at lights, or missing the gap at roundabouts and end up stalling - i'm slowly getting better at controlling it though now - so more confident about that!!!! :smile:
Reply 86
The Anthropologist
;no;

what?
Reply 87
Lilian
what?

hes sadned by ur cold and callous ways of u trying to get ya mitts on a car... tut tut..
Reply 88
Had my first driving lesson on Friday - It was soo amazing. Within in an hour I had grasped the concept of changing gear and steering, and was feeling comfortable in cruising down the main road into my town at 50mph. I dont know if thats good for a first lesson, but it felt pretty damned good to me :biggrin:

I have my next lesson on Tuesday when Im going to further increase my steering. Apparently I wasnt doing the ""Pull down with right, push up with right"" - :s-smilie:
Reply 89
sophie_05
hes sadned by ur cold and callous ways of u trying to get ya mitts on a car... tut tut..

:puppyeyes: :hubba: sowwi!
Reply 90
zillysteph

moving away is coming along, though i still hope everytime i get to a roundabout or near some lights, there's no traffic coming or the light's are on green, so i don't have to stop!!! my problem is i let my foot off the clutch too quickly, because i'm scared about holding up traffic at lights, or missing the gap at roundabouts and end up stalling - i'm slowly getting better at controlling it though now - so more confident about that!!!! :smile:

Lol i used to hate waiting at traffic lights and roundabouts or anywhere were i had to put the hand break up and down.
Reply 91
I'm currently learning to drive and have my test booked (just over a month away) but i keep making stupid mistakes and i'm wondering if i should cancel my test :frown: Roundabouts seem to be a downfall for me, and sometimes i can't get the gears in correctly then i panic! Arghhhh i just wanna pass my test.
Just had my 3rd lesson today and went round the block quite a number of times practicing turning and steering. Do you just let the car roll around the corner with the biting point and handbrake down and then give the car gas once it's straight because i'm really confused bout this. Oooo And my instructor said im brilliant at stopping the car exactly where i want it and driving on a straight road. However moving off quick and clutch control on minor onto major roads is a killer !!
Reply 93
had my 4th lesson - reversed around the corner, as well as starting to drive around busy main roads (rather than the quiet residential streets). Also conquered a roundabout a few times.

My instructor keeps telling me to let the car roll round with the clutch at biting point on junctions - helps with the speed - but i forget and bring the clutch up! :biggrin:
Reply 94
had my lesson earlier in the mini and with a women instructor(usually have males) was great she taught be different but easy to understand:biggrin:was hard at first with the gears but ok after i played with them
~Kirsty~
had my 4th lesson - reversed around the corner, as well as starting to drive around busy main roads (rather than the quiet residential streets). Also conquered a roundabout a few times.

My instructor keeps telling me to let the car roll round with the clutch at biting point on junctions - helps with the speed - but i forget and bring the clutch up! :biggrin:

Same 'ere lol
Reply 96
bubu
had my lesson earlier in the mini and with a women instructor(usually have males) was great she taught be different but easy to understand:biggrin:was hard at first with the gears but ok after i played with them

Hows learning in a mini? I have a choice in october when i go back to uni between an instructor with a mini, or one with a skoda.... i was tempted by the skoda only because the instructor is meant to be really good (grade 6.)
Reply 97
Magikal
Same 'ere lol

Glad i'm not alone! :biggrin:
Reply 98
~Kirsty~
Hows learning in a mini? I have a choice in october when i go back to uni between an instructor with a mini, or one with a skoda.... i was tempted by the skoda only because the instructor is meant to be really good (grade 6.)

its great i always wanted to drive one and told my dad he can buy me 1 for my 21st but im not passed for today:mad: so i might aswel learn to drive in one the speedo is like a massive clock where stereo would be
Reply 99
rozzy
Wow 4 instructors!! That must be quite hard to get used to...

Well I'm off to uni hopefully in Sept so if I still haven't passed then I'll have to get another instructor! :frown:

Ditto.

I've had about 13 or so hours on the road and 11 lessons. So far I've done just about everything apart from:

Reverse round the corner (right)
Parallel Parking
Emergency Stops

I'm not too confident when it comes to certain situations and tend to panic a bit when someone is right up my arse. Spacial awareness in the car isn't brilliant either, but it's getting better. I'm prone to making a few mistakes, but I guess that's all part of the learning process.

I just want to get passed now :frown: Though sometimes I can't imagine ever getting it right for a test and that I'll never be prepared. Then I think of some people who have passed and think, how the hell did they get good enough to pass a driving test?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending