The Student Room Group

The Learner driver progression thread

Scroll to see replies

Chana
ARGH!! Mum started my car up this morning, and was scrapping the ice off the windows, so I could drive to college with her, as we do usually. Except just as she was walking back round to get in she noticed the bumper hanging off. So we had to get out. We park on the road just down from the house, as we have no driveway (live on a walkway), so it was bound to happen one day, except I was hoping it wouldn't be one of ours, more my neighbours Mercedes, horrible car.

Cant you just remove the bumper and use the car to practise in
Reply 1181
brokenangel
Cant you just remove the bumper and use the car to practise in

Guess we could, but dad's decided to sell it to his mate so we don't have to fix it, hehe. Which means I may be getting a new(er) car, without a choke (evil things).
Original post by &#9829
Yeah I do #excited#!!! told no one excactly when tho :erm: cept my ADi obviously! My driving is basically fine now except the odd silly mistak and today I stalled once in a 2 hour lesson , I haven't stalled in my ADI's car for MONTHS! lol anyway yeah basically now all we're doing is polishing up my driving:^_^: I know I've tried my hardest to be as prepared as possible for this :proud: so I should be proud of myself!

Yea same here. I should have gone in for my test months ago really, i probably would have passed. I pull the odd silly mistake in lessons but all in all my driving cant be faulted. I just sometimes get confused with directions or weird junctions, but doesnt everyone sometimes! Cant wait to hear how you do! Mine's in a few weeks, maybe you will or wont pass before me!
My instructor wants me to get counselling, as she thinks I'm still too nervous!

How can I be more confident without resorting to counselling?
i would just say keep practising. How many lessons have you had?
Reply 1185
yeah agree with kirsty practice makes perfect :^_^:.
Reply 1186
Groovy chick
My instructor wants me to get counselling, as she thinks I'm still too nervous!

How can I be more confident without resorting to counselling?

Get some rescue remedy to calm your nerves :smile: Works a treat :biggrin:
Reply 1187
Emergency stop is so fun! lol
Reply 1188
Lil I have think you have done more driving in the past 3 months than I have in the past 8 years :biggrin: But as longs as a a few pints are waiting for me on saturday night life can just b a hlt again (until the following saturday) :p:
Reply 1189
i know it sounds soooo cheesy but if it wasn't for my great instructor I would never be the driver I am today. I was such a nervous erractic and panicky driver when I started with him 6 or so months ago and now I am confident, relaxed, cautious and can deal with anything that could encounter me on today's roads. he never gave up on me or got angry with me he was always so calm and patient with me and made me relaxed and love driving!!!! His laid back attitude and praise has made me realise the test is not some scary monster next to you it's a normal person who is HUMAN, not perfect and will understand you are human as well! Stupid things I got hung up on before are now irrelevant and I know I can do this as long as I keep my mind set as it as now and keep enjoying driving which I don't think will change
/end speech.
Reply 1190
AT82
Lil I have think you have done more driving in the past 3 months than I have in the past 8 years :biggrin: But as longs as a a few pints are waiting for me on saturday night life can just b a hlt again (until the following saturday) :p:

P.S. don't give up! Get a decent ADI crack out that fiesta of yourselves and do your thang! don't let this beat you!
Reply 1191
I am too scared to drive it because its also my dads car (I basicaly bought it him ) if I crash it he has no job.

I am really really upset my old Fiesta died because I would have kept that as my car, actually cursing myself now for not giving up on it so quickly. I am tempted to go out and buy another car, but buying 3 cars in a year when you haven't even past your test is quite simply stupid.

Saw a nice rust free G reg 1.1 Carb based Fiesta the other day for £250, I was so tempted.

But anyway I am going to get myself an ADI and hopefully once get better again I will feel a lot more confident in driving my new car.

It just sems so much hard work for not much incentive.

Anyway the only qway I can get my hands on this is if I pass

Reply 1192
AT82
I am too scared to drive it because its also my dads car (I basicaly bought it him ) if I crash it he has no job.

I am really really upset my old Fiesta died because I would have kept that as my car, actually cursing myself now for not giving up on it so quickly. I am tempted to go out and buy another car, but buying 3 cars in a year when you haven't even past your test is quite simply stupid.

Saw a nice rust free G reg 1.1 Carb based Fiesta the other day for £250, I was so tempted.

But anyway I am going to get myself an ADI and hopefully once get better again I will feel a lot more confident in driving my new car.

It just sems so much hard work for not much incentive.

Anyway the only qway I can get my hands on this is if I pass

excactly treat that as an incentive! Phone around some ADI's or get some people to reccomend you one! If you phone round get a few to give you an hour or so introductory lessont o see if you like the instructor! If not you can move on but if you do you can start with them. One of the most important things is getting an understanding and patient ADI to help you enjoy driving!
Have you ever crashed before? the awnser I'm pretty sure is no, believe in yourself and trust yourself to drive the car that your dad uses! If you really are scared then maybe consider buying another car. I found the grand I spent on getitng myself my swift is some of the best spent money ever!
Reply 1193
Right guys a few questions that I need to just clarify in my head!
Some things like moving into the other lane to get past parked cars, if I don't have to stop then I don't bother indicating whether cars are behind me or not my ADi has never said anything so I'm guessing that's fine. However if I have to stop and there's no one behind me I rarely indicate(as in NEVER.) However if I do stop and there is someone behind me I indicate. however if no one WAS behind me but then they approach I then indicate. I think this is fine tbh, I just wanted to see if anyone saw any general faults there. I think this is a sensible approach as it really does depend on the situation whether a signal is necessary and even when necessary it can be misleading epsecially if there is a right junction nearby.

Next question: On a dual carriageway with two lanes and you are travelling in the left hand lane with another car in the right hand lane who is travelling at let's say 30-40mph for no clear reason what would be the best point of call? you couldn't pass them as this would be undertaking and if they don't return to the left lane for a long time you can't really do anything can you?
however if this happened on a three lane dual carriageway would you safely move into the middle lane behind this person and then move into the right hand lane when safe and then go in front of them when safe and possible, return to the middle lane and then when safe return to the left hand lane? Thanks for ay suggestions or replies.
I also am a bit stuck if someone purposefully sped up when I moved lanes to overtake I mean I wouldn't "race them" but would the best point of call be to move back into the left hand lane(or middle than left hand lane) and then return to the position behind them?

Thanks
:smile:
Reply 1194
You can undertake when traffic in the right lane is moving slowly, though this usually refers to queue situations. If they're doing 30 or so in that lane they're in the wrong lane, so check they're not about to pull in ahead of you and then undertake, I guess.
Yeah, don't get into races. If someone's being difficult then just leave them to it.

You can ask your ADI this btw, it's what they're there for.
Reply 1195
Apagg
You can undertake when traffic in the right lane is moving slowly, though this usually refers to queue situations. If they're doing 30 or so in that lane they're in the wrong lane, so check they're not about to pull in ahead of you and then undertake, I guess.
Yeah, don't get into races. If someone's being difficult then just leave them to it.

You can ask your ADI this btw, it's what they're there for.

I definetely will ask these questions anyway it's just I don't have a lesson till Thursday so I was just curious :smile:! Thanks a lot by the way!
Reply 1196
i can do this!
Reply 1197
Yes you can!
Do what? :p:
Reply 1199
I'm gonna think really logically okay :smile: and not let silly nerves get in my way EVER again! I KNOW I can drive, my instructor is a brilliant one and wouldn't let me take my test if I wasn't ready. I can do all my manouveres, I can deal with situations and I have no fears about "omg if i get that manouvere" rubbish. I practice one/twice a week for 2-3 hours a week with my ADI and about 2-3 hours a week with mum in 2-3 private practice sessions. I am so ready wtih this. It's just keeping a cool head and nto rushing things. DON'T examine myself and start thinking " oh noes i got a fault for that " etc. etc. I need to DRIVE..not assess.
Sorry....bit of a ramble there..but that felt good:biggrin:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending