The Student Room Group

Should I even try to pursue Law at Cambridge?

Hi I was wondering if I should even consider pursuing Law at Cambridge with my GCSE grades, I got 5A* 4A 2B which I guess is pretty weak compared to many, would I still have a chance with great A-Levels?
Original post by hughmungus25
Hi I was wondering if I should even consider pursuing Law at Cambridge with my GCSE grades, I got 5A* 4A 2B which I guess is pretty weak compared to many, would I still have a chance with great A-Levels?

cambridge dont have specific gcse requirments even tho some students have a lot of A*, Some people get in with just 1A* it mostly depends on your alevels grades, if you get 3 really good alevel results As and above with a good statement then you have a good chance
Reply 2
Original post by Ganda1f
cambridge dont have specific gcse requirments even tho some students have a lot of A*, Some people get in with just 1A* it mostly depends on your alevels grades, if you get 3 really good alevel results As and above with a good statement then you have a good chance
www.hireessaywriter.org

Hi Ganda1f,

Is it wise to call them? I'm really at a loss... I intend to get A*AA, Cambridge's Law prerequisites, yet exactly how essential are GCSEs in general? I've visited their site, and they claim that they don't count GCSEs, but I'm not sure about it... Have seen a lot of forum topics...
I remember I have made comparable such inquiries previously, however I am searching for a complete answer regarding this matter... Any assistance is significant for me... thank you..

RJ
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by moonkrj
Hi Ganda1f,

Is it wise to call them? I'm really at a loss... I intend to get A*AA, Cambridge's Law prerequisites, yet exactly how essential are GCSEs in general? I've visited their site, and they claim that they don't count GCSEs, but I'm not sure about it... Have seen a lot of forum topics...
I remember I have made comparable such inquiries previously, however I am searching for a complete answer regarding this matter... Any assistance is significant for me... thank you..

RJ

As a general rule of thumb, calling the department or college is usually the best way to solve your question efficiently, even an email to a college admissions officer usually does the trick. I would send an email to the college admissions officer for your preferred college to get and idea and if they aren't that specific try emailing the faculty of law who may give a better insight. Hope that helps!
Reply 4
Cambridge students gave a talk at my school, and one said they had multiple Cs at GCSE. I would believe them when they say they don't look at them. Also, the rule of thumb I've heard is that if you get 5 A*s at GCSE, you're the right callibre of student, in which case you're certainly fine to persure a degree there.

Edit: Just realised the original post is 2 years old. Nevermind lol
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Ganda1f
As a general rule of thumb, calling the department or college is usually the best way to solve your question efficiently, even an email to a college admissions officer usually does the trick. I would send an email to the college admissions officer for your preferred college to get and idea and if they aren't that specific try emailing the faculty of law who may give a better insight. Hope that helps!

Thanks. I was about to call, but then imagined what I'm gonna say and how to say it the best way... Cause I'm becoming a bit frustrated when having to say something serious and can say something stupid instead :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Trillo
Cambridge students gave a talk at my school, and one said they had multiple Cs at GCSE. I would believe them when they say they don't look at them. Also, the rule of thumb I've heard is that if you get 5 A*s at GCSE, you're the right callibre of student, in which case you're certainly fine to persure a degree there.

5 A*s would be perfect for me. But not sure if I manage to do that...
Reply 7
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
What was the outcome of this in the end, are you at Cambridge?

Unfortunately no haha, weirdly I ended up being interviewed at Oxford but was rejected and I'm now at Durham, I also decided I wanted to study History first and convert to law afterwards through the GDL as I feel I'll get better honours in history first. But for example in this case I was still interviewed with 5 A*'s and Oxford notoriously cares more about GCSE's than Cambridge I believe. To any interested to get some perspective from my experience Oxbridge isn't actually as daunting as you think, go for it, it's a great experience, and although the admissions stats look scary in comparison to places like UCL and Durham they seem fairly reasonable. In my case when I went for history at Oxford and Durham there were about 6 applicants for each place at Oxford and at Durham there were 9 applicants for each place. Although I would still have preferred Oxford as it's no doubt a better university it's still interesting to show that stats can throw people off and you actually have a better chance at Oxbridge than potentially other top unis. Hope my insight might help a few haha? :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending