Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

When driving, how do you hold the steering wheel? Watch

• PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    To put it simply, I'm just curious as to how many stick to 9 and 3 or 10 and 2, either whilst learning to drive or once having passed their test. Sometimes these taught positions just aren't comfortable, and wondered what everyone progressed too over time

Personally, I switch between a 10 and 2 and a 11 and nothing if I'm on the motorway for ages

ReputationRep:
    either both hands at 6 or right hand at 1 and the other at 7.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Generally about 3 and 9, but it epends whether I need to read my messages/check the map /reprogramme the satnav/answer calls etc. If so it's nearer to 4 nothing.

ReputationRep:
    7 and 5 :lol:

ReputationRep:
    right hand at 1

ReputationRep:
    0 and 6 is clearly superior for handling...lol

8 and 4 respectively.

ReputationRep:
    if i am texting then usually i steer with my knees

Spoiler:
    Show
    JOKE.... do not ever use your phone while driving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orange s0da)
    right hand at 1
    Same, with left hand free to do whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    if i am texting then usually i steer with my knees

Spoiler:
    Show
    JOKE.... do not ever use your phone while driving
    Clearly texting is a very stupid thing to do whilst driving, but we all do silly things when we're drunk.

ReputationRep:
    Ten and two. I even do the policeman's shuffle sometimes (picking up habits from other people, it's not a conscious effort).

ReputationRep:
    Im still learning so 10 and 2, but when driving my dads car its 11 and 3

ReputationRep:
    3 and 9, or 3 and nothing.

How many people still do the push and pull technique?

ReputationRep:
    9 and 3 because it feels most natural to me!
    I have more control of the car that way and can make quick and easy steering inputs!
    Plus it's where racing drivers hold their hands too hehe!

But yeah I learnt at 10 & 2 and found it hard to keep hold of the wheel during corners where I didn't need to shuffle the wheel!

9 & 3 is a lot easier and technically safer as you don't have to take your hands off the wheel to turn! (Just be wary of the airbag!)

ReputationRep:
    I hold it like I'm holding a girl's head down

ReputationRep:
    Either 8 and 4
    OR
    Right hand on 11 and left hand on gear/under leg if it needs to be warmed lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    all these people admitting they are not in full control of the car ...

Then again that;s the difference between a steering wheel operative and a driver ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    all these people admitting they are not in full control of the car ...

Then again that;s the difference between a steering wheel operative and a driver ...
    Not having your hands at 10/2 all the time does not mean you aren't in control of the car. If you're familiar with a certain way of driving odds are you'll be safer doing it that way (providing it isn't something stupid). There are far more factors than what hand position you use.

I personally use 10/2 most of the time, sometimes switch to 11/1 or 9/3 as the situation changes. I try not to use 9/3 because my thumbs instinctively try to lock into the wheel which is bad practice.

I'm also aware that I have a slight tendency to pull to the right (right hand dominant) and have tried driving with 12-3 and nothing to get used to it. Having one hand on the wheel is a necessity sometimes (you don't want to change gear and start veering off to the right for example.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I hold it at 10 and 2, like I did in my driving lessons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Not having your hands at 10/2 all the time does not mean you aren't in control of the car. If you're familiar with a certain way of driving odds are you'll be safer doing it that way (providing it isn't something stupid). There are far more factors than what hand position you use.

I personally use 10/2 most of the time, sometimes switch to 11/1 or 9/3 as the situation changes. I try not to use 9/3 because my thumbs instinctively try to lock into the wheel which is bad practice.

I'm also aware that I have a slight tendency to pull to the right (right hand dominant) and have tried driving with 12-3 and nothing to get used to it. Having one hand on the wheel is a necessity sometimes (you don't want to change gear and start veering off to the right for example.
    next no doubt you'll be claiming that push- pull is 'that shuffling *******s' ... thus demonstrating that you have no actual insight into the psychomotor skills or the need to remain in control of a vehicle ..

ReputationRep:
    Oddly I tend to do 8-2

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.