When driving, how do you hold the steering wheel?

ReputationRep:
    To put it simply, I'm just curious as to how many stick to 9 and 3 or 10 and 2, either whilst learning to drive or once having passed their test. Sometimes these taught positions just aren't comfortable, and wondered what everyone progressed too over time

Personally, I switch between a 10 and 2 and a 11 and nothing if I'm on the motorway for ages

ReputationRep:
    either both hands at 6 or right hand at 1 and the other at 7.

ReputationRep:
    Generally about 3 and 9, but it epends whether I need to read my messages/check the map /reprogramme the satnav/answer calls etc. If so it's nearer to 4 nothing.

ReputationRep:
    7 and 5 :lol:

ReputationRep:
    right hand at 1

ReputationRep:
    0 and 6 is clearly superior for handling...lol

8 and 4 respectively.

ReputationRep:
    if i am texting then usually i steer with my knees

Spoiler:
    Show
    JOKE.... do not ever use your phone while driving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orange s0da)
    right hand at 1
    Same, with left hand free to do whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    if i am texting then usually i steer with my knees

Spoiler:
    Show
    JOKE.... do not ever use your phone while driving
    Clearly texting is a very stupid thing to do whilst driving, but we all do silly things when we're drunk.

ReputationRep:
    Ten and two. I even do the policeman's shuffle sometimes (picking up habits from other people, it's not a conscious effort).

ReputationRep:
    Im still learning so 10 and 2, but when driving my dads car its 11 and 3

ReputationRep:
    3 and 9, or 3 and nothing.

How many people still do the push and pull technique?

9 and 3 because it feels most natural to me!
    I have more control of the car that way and can make quick and easy steering inputs!
    Plus it's where racing drivers hold their hands too hehe!

But yeah I learnt at 10 & 2 and found it hard to keep hold of the wheel during corners where I didn't need to shuffle the wheel!

9 & 3 is a lot easier and technically safer as you don't have to take your hands off the wheel to turn! (Just be wary of the airbag!)

ReputationRep:
    I hold it like I'm holding a girl's head down

ReputationRep:
    Either 8 and 4
    OR
    Right hand on 11 and left hand on gear/under leg if it needs to be warmed lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    all these people admitting they are not in full control of the car ...

Then again that;s the difference between a steering wheel operative and a driver ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    all these people admitting they are not in full control of the car ...

Then again that;s the difference between a steering wheel operative and a driver ...
    Not having your hands at 10/2 all the time does not mean you aren't in control of the car. If you're familiar with a certain way of driving odds are you'll be safer doing it that way (providing it isn't something stupid). There are far more factors than what hand position you use.

I personally use 10/2 most of the time, sometimes switch to 11/1 or 9/3 as the situation changes. I try not to use 9/3 because my thumbs instinctively try to lock into the wheel which is bad practice.

I'm also aware that I have a slight tendency to pull to the right (right hand dominant) and have tried driving with 12-3 and nothing to get used to it. Having one hand on the wheel is a necessity sometimes (you don't want to change gear and start veering off to the right for example.

ReputationRep:
    I hold it at 10 and 2, like I did in my driving lessons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Not having your hands at 10/2 all the time does not mean you aren't in control of the car. If you're familiar with a certain way of driving odds are you'll be safer doing it that way (providing it isn't something stupid). There are far more factors than what hand position you use.

I personally use 10/2 most of the time, sometimes switch to 11/1 or 9/3 as the situation changes. I try not to use 9/3 because my thumbs instinctively try to lock into the wheel which is bad practice.

I'm also aware that I have a slight tendency to pull to the right (right hand dominant) and have tried driving with 12-3 and nothing to get used to it. Having one hand on the wheel is a necessity sometimes (you don't want to change gear and start veering off to the right for example.
    next no doubt you'll be claiming that push- pull is 'that shuffling *******s' ... thus demonstrating that you have no actual insight into the psychomotor skills or the need to remain in control of a vehicle ..

ReputationRep:
    Oddly I tend to do 8-2

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.