The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Scottish uni ranking

Ranking of Scottish unis from best to worst ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by www.

Edinburgh and St Andrews are neck and neck, really. Glasgow takes third. Not sure about the others.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by www.

St Andrews
Edinburgh
Strathclyde
Glasgow
Aberdeen
Dundee
Heriot Watt
RGU
Stirling
Napier/Abertay
WoS
Highlands & Islands

(in order)
Reply 3
Original post by ScotBank16
St Andrews
Edinburgh
Strathclyde
Glasgow
Aberdeen
Dundee
Heriot Watt
RGU
Stirling
Napier/Abertay
WoS
Highlands & Islands

(in order)

Rather inaccurate considering that Glasgow, Aberdeen, Stirling, Dundee and Heriot Watt all appear ahead of Strathclyde in almost every ranking system
Strathclyde is by no means above Glasgow - at least in terms of brand. Top 3... St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow... After that, Aberdeen, Robert Gordon, Heriot-Watt and Strathclyde.
Original post by uqm19
Rather inaccurate considering that Glasgow, Aberdeen, Stirling, Dundee and Heriot Watt all appear ahead of Strathclyde in almost every ranking system

True, but strathclyde are best for engineering in Scotland and are number one for accounting in the uk. A lot of the time rankings don't mean anything because there are different rankings for different subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702
True, but strathclyde are best for engineering in Scotland and are number one for accounting in the uk. A lot of the time rankings don't mean anything because there are different rankings for different subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Irrelevant - Glasgow is top for degrees like Psychology and Dentistry... That doesn't mean it's better than Edinburgh.

I take the point that rankings are ambiguous and subjective though.
Original post by pmc:producer
Irrelevant - Glasgow is top for degrees like Psychology and Dentistry... That doesn't mean it's better than Edinburgh.

I take the point that rankings are ambiguous and subjective though.

I never said Strathclyde is better than Glasgow though, I said it's better for engineering for which it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by pmc:producer
Strathclyde is by no means above Glasgow - at least in terms of brand. Top 3... St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow... After that, Aberdeen, Robert Gordon, Heriot-Watt and Strathclyde.

It seems Dundee and Stirling appear highly ranked too
St Andrews
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Aberdeen
Dundee
Strathclyde,
Heriot-Watt
Stirling
RGU
Napier
Abertay
Caledonia
Queen Margaret
West of Scotland
Highlands and Islands
Original post by 3Engineer141592
St Andrews
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Aberdeen
Dundee
Strathclyde,
Heriot-Watt
Stirling
RGU
Napier
Abertay
Caledonia
Queen Margaret
West of Scotland
Highlands and Islands

I'd definitely place Strathclyde above dundee and aberdeen and just below glasgow. Even having a glance at entry standards shows its in the top tier of scottish unis along with st Andrews, Edinburgh and Glasgow. I cant think of any subject or department in aberdeen or dundee thats better or even the same as strathclydes equivalent apart from maybe life science. Engineering, business and science are far better and social science maybe a bit better but fairly similar. Aberdeen is good for petroleum engineering but thats one subject out of a whole department. Having said that theyre all still good universities and people should probably take other factors into account when deciding such as how close the uni is to home etc.

If I were to tier the universities it would be as below. Id rank dundee fairly close to aberdeen so they could possibly be in the same tier but it wouldnt quite be the same as the first 4.

St Andrews
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Strathclyde
Aberdeen

Dundee
Heriot-Watt
Stirling

RGU
Napier
Abertay
Caledonia
Queen Margaret
West of Scotland
Highlands and Islands
Bizarre how this thread has become active after 2 years or so... Rankings are generally as follows:

St Andrews = Edinburgh
Glasgow
Aberdeen
Heriot-Watt = Strathclyde
Dundee
Etc
St Andrews
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Strathclyde
Aberdeen
Heriott watt
Dundee
Stirling

I dont see how people consider dundee better than heriott watt.
Original post by Anonymous
St Andrews
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Strathclyde
Aberdeen
Heriott watt
Dundee
Stirling

I dont see how people consider dundee better than heriott watt.

it is better. Dundee is extremely good for biology and medicine in particular.
You can find the general university ratings but it depends on the course. Like abertay is one of the best for computing, Dundee is one of top for life sciences, uws has a good psychology department etc etc
St Andrews = Edinburgh

Glasgow
Aberdeen
Dundee
Heriot-Watt
RGU
Strathclyde
Napier
Abertay
Caledonia
Original post by Anonymous
St Andrews = Edinburgh

Glasgow
Aberdeen
Dundee
Heriot-Watt
RGU
Strathclyde
Napier
Abertay
Caledonia

I went to both St Andrews and Edinburgh (undergrad and Masters) and I can feel you that St Andrews is way better than Edinburgh - reputation, student satisfaction and teaching quality wise.
Edinburgh==St Andrews
Glasgow
Aberdeen
Strathclyde
Dundee
Heriot-Watt
RGU
Stirling
Abertay
Napier
Queen Margaret
West of Scotland
Caledonia
Tier 1: St. Andrews, Edinburgh

Tier 1.5: Glasgow

Tier 2: Aberdeen, Strathclyde

Tier 2.5: Dundee, Heriot-Watt

Tier 3: RGU, Stirling

Tier 4-5: Abertay, Napier, Queen Margaret, West Scotland, Caledonia, etc.

Based on: National and Global rankings in the last 10 years.
St Andrews/Edinburgh
Glasgow
Aberdeen
Strathclyde
Dundee
Herriott-Watt
Stirling
RGU

Quick Reply

Latest