The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nimbus
Heyhos,

I think it should be possible to become fairly good at it if you are willing to put into the work. =D
Some people here managed to learn a new language to about GCSE standard (or even better) within a few weeks!

If it helps, try and look through a GCSE german revision guide or something, get yourself motivated and read a bit from grammar and vocab books from time to time.
...and you MUST listen to some German songs and watch some German movies.xD <----those were the highlights of my GCSE years.. :p:
...and also posting here (in German!) natuerlich!

I think the key is to enjoy your learning instead of trying to cram everything in a.s.a.p. :yep: At least this method works for me. XD

Good lukc with it and Viel Spass! ^__^

Nimbus! Lange nicht gesehen, wie geht's dir?
Reply 6761
necessarily benevolent
Hello :hello: One of my goals for this summer is to start learning German from scratch. I ask, how good could one get in 4 months? I'm not planning on becoming exceedingly brilliant during that time...but over a few years I'd hope to improve.

Hmm, basic stuff, I reckon. Simple sentence constructions, a couple of basic grammar rules and a vocabulary of a few hundred words. Unless you're extremely good at picking up foreign languages, you'll probably need more than 4 months to get to a decent standard.
Obviously it all depends on how dedicated you are and how much time you want to invest, though.:dontknow:
necessarily benevolent
Hello :hello: One of my goals for this summer is to start learning German from scratch. I ask, how good could one get in 4 months? I'm not planning on becoming exceedingly brilliant during that time...but over a few years I'd hope to improve.

Dunno, are you planning on spending 6 hours a day on it and going to Germany for stretches of several weeks, in which case I'd expect you to come out very good, or are you planning on doing an hour a week?
generalebriety
Dunno, are you planning on spending 6 hours a day on it and going to Germany for stretches of several weeks, in which case I'd expect you to come out very good, or are you planning on doing an hour a week?

I'm not sure yet. I'd like to commit enough so as to have a basic grounding by the end of the summer. I'd probably start listening to German radio over the internet once I've got used to it, and hopefully start reaching a more advanced standard after a few years. And then I'd probably spend a year in Germany to try and hit a near-native level. :p:
SpiritedAway
In the oral exam, for the stimulus material, how would I get good marks with the second question, where is always asks something dead straight-forward, like "which is the biggest percentage" or whatever, and you can only give them a straight-forward answer like, "So-and-so has the biggest amount of X with X%" :s-smilie:. Should I just throw in a personal opinion?

Can you get bonus marks for just stating a fact like that? Maybe it's content based.

Ich bin im Moment so aufgedreht- Rammstein kundigte neue Konzerte in Deutschland an und ich will gehen.
Just had my oral exam...I think it went OK :s-smilie:
I mean I was really conscientious about word order, and I think I made some good points. I mean I didn't once have to ask for her to slow down or repeat the question, which I had to loads last year, so I imagine that had to be a good thing :dontknow:. Though I did trip over the word "Sorgen" as I didn't know what that meant (I'm so mad at myself with that as well, because I have looked that word up before and have even used that word before!). Now the real challenge comes with my A2 oral this Thursday :P.
SpiritedAway
(I'm so mad at myself with that as well, because I have looked that word up before and have even used that word before!)

It's quite a common thing. Particularly if you learn a word as part of a set phrase and then encounter it outside that phrase. I do it all the time.

Good to hear your exam was ok. :smile:
Reply 6767
Can someone quickly tell me how to say

"Please do not bend" in german (like on an envelope)? Thanks!
Reply 6768
wtid
Can someone quickly tell me how to say

"Please do not bend" in german (like on an envelope)? Thanks!

"Bitte nicht knicken".
Mündliche Prüfung am Dienstag! Woot!
Reply 6770
generalebriety
Nimbus! Lange nicht gesehen, wie geht's dir?

Hallo generalebriety! Ah, mir geht's gut danke. =D
Es tut mir leid, dass ich dieser Gesellschaft lange nicht besucht habe! @__@
Jetzt bin ich ein bisschen stressig, weil ich meine Pruefungen bald machen muss...eeeek. Ich habe viel Angst davon, besonders von der deutschen Muendlichepruefungen. >__<.

Und dir? Hoffentlich geht's ihnen gut auch. ^__^
wannabe mexican
Mündliche Prüfung am Dienstag! Woot!

Viel Glück :smile:

Ich hatte eine mündliche Prüfung heute..
Reply 6772
Has anyone done the AS listening exam yet? I have it next friday, not looking too forward to it as it's usually the hardest
Yes, twice. I am also doing it on Friday as well :afraid:. 3rd time lucky!
Reply 6774
SpiritedAway
Yes, twice. I am also doing it on Friday as well :afraid:. 3rd time lucky!

Oh, how come you've failed it twice? I only have one shot at it because i'm doing AS+A2 at the same time, so doing all my exams right now.
Si_G
Oh, how come you've failed it twice? I only have one shot at it because i'm doing AS+A2 at the same time, so doing all my exams right now.

:dontknow: probably because I can't spell, so I lose epic marks for my written German, plus, my listening is so bad. I am fine when there is someone there talking in front of me, I have no idea why I struggle so much with the listening :dontknow:. This is my last chance, plus, I have my A2 listening/reading in a couple of weeks too :afraid:.
I got an E both times -- same mark both times as well :P.
Reply 6776
SpiritedAway
:dontknow: probably because I can't spell, so I lose epic marks for my written German, plus, my listening is so bad. I am fine when there is someone there talking in front of me, I have no idea why I struggle so much with the listening :dontknow:. This is my last chance, plus, I have my A2 listening/reading in a couple of weeks too :afraid:.
I got an E both times -- same mark both times as well :P.

Lol this does not give me confidence :P I'm not too worried about the A2 listening because the listening part is not as big as the AS one, as there's an actual seperate paper for it.
I'm sure you'll do fine :yep:
I mean I hope I get a D for the papers -- aiming high and all that. Because my speaking and coursework is good enough to boost my grade.
Reply 6778
SpiritedAway
I'm sure you'll do fine :yep:
I mean I hope I get a D for the papers -- aiming high and all that. Because my speaking and coursework is good enough to boost my grade.

I definetley did really well in my speaking, i'm not sure about my coursework...i didn't quote the sources properly in the end, but i don't think it'll cost me TOO many marks.
Reply 6779
I definetley did well in the oral, not sure about my coursework because i didn't quote the sources correctly in the end...but i don't think it'll cost me TOO many marks. Not sure though.

Latest

Trending

Trending