The Student Room Group

My insurance got cancelled (car)

Hi any answers or help is really appreciated!!
On Monday my insurance got cancelled it was originally due to there being a gap in my cover from my last insurance policy and I didn't give a written explanation in time but they then overwrote that with me speeding so it got cancelled due to speeding, now my quotes are near 1,800instead of 700 pound!
How long does this stay on record for? And can insurance companies easily or will they look to see if you have been cancelled before?
You'll have to declare the cancellation for the next couple of years (All insurers ask if you have ever been cancelled), and yes they can look to see if you have been cancelled before... Remember as well that insureres will do anything NOT to pay out..so if you crash and they look into it and see that you have been cancelled even if you said you didn't, they'd use that as a reason not to pay.
Reply 2
Original post by Jackieox
You'll have to declare the cancellation for the next couple of years (All insurers ask if you have ever been cancelled), and yes they can look to see if you have been cancelled before... Remember as well that insureres will do anything NOT to pay out..so if you crash and they look into it and see that you have been cancelled even if you said you didn't, they'd use that as a reason not to pay.

I see what ypu mean i was hopng i could get away with it going on there will be no accidents but i guess you never know.
Thing is im really struggling to get qutoes !
This is why i was considering saying that i have never been cancelled.
Original post by Stephen77
I see what ypu mean i was hopng i could get away with it going on there will be no accidents but i guess you never know.

I think they do database checks first to see if you have or not.. I know with mine they did a full check on me first

I'm pretty sure that those checks about cancellation happen when you take out the policy automatically against the database, so they'd spot it, and if you lied, contact you about it...
Reply 5
Original post by mobbsy91
I'm pretty sure that those checks about cancellation happen when you take out the policy automatically against the database, so they'd spot it, and if you lied, contact you about it...

Yeah that does sound pretty accurate, i guess im going to need to take the hit with the price , long does a cancelled policy stay on your record for?
Thanks for your reply
If you like about a material fact then that would be an attempted fraud and any cover would most likely be invalid. You really dont want to go down that path.
Yeah that does sound pretty accurate, i guess im going to need to take the hit with the price , long does a cancelled policy stay on your record for?
Thanks for your reply

I'm not really sure tbh... Some insurers ask for whether it's within the last 5 years, but I think I've seen some ask "Have you ever..." which would give me the impression that it stays on the database for ever, and just depends how far back a certain insurer is going to look.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
If you like about a material fact then that would be an attempted fraud and any cover would most likely be invalid. You really dont want to go down that path.

That has been crossing my mind alot the past few days and i have taken some risks before but i think i will play this one safe
Reply 9
Original post by mobbsy91
I'm not really sure tbh... Some insurers ask for whether it's within the last 5 years, but I think I've seen some ask "Have you ever..." which would give me the impression that it stays on the database for ever, and just depends how far back a certain insurer is going to look.

Its a joke , thats five years ill be screwed for over a petty excuse from cancelling my policy
Best bet is to ring your old insurance provider and try and sort a solution? They can actually be quite reasonable if you're using a decent company, like Direct Line or Carole Nash or similar.

Alternatively ring around and explain your situation to an actual person who may well be able to give you a better rate. Certainly worth a try, the worst that can happen is they say no...

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a really bad idea to omit telling an insurance company that you've had a policy cancelled. Everything is computerised now and cross-checked on databases, so it's pretty much impossible for them not to find out. Omitting to tell them will simply mean your next policy is cancelled due to a material omission in the proposal, and it will just make it increasingly difficult and expensive for you to get motor insurance.
Reply 12
Original post by shaymarriott
Best bet is to ring your old insurance provider and try and sort a solution? They can actually be quite reasonable if you're using a decent company, like Direct Line or Carole Nash or similar.

Alternatively ring around and explain your situation to an actual person who may well be able to give you a better rate. Certainly worth a try, the worst that can happen is they say no...

Posted from TSR Mobile

My old insurance group just say there is nothing they can do now since the policy has been cancelled ill check carole nash tho , thanks
Reply 13
Original post by Reality Check
It's a really bad idea to omit telling an insurance company that you've had a policy cancelled. Everything is computerised now and cross-checked on databases, so it's pretty much impossible for them not to find out. Omitting to tell them will simply mean your next policy is cancelled due to a material omission in the proposal, and it will just make it increasingly difficult and expensive for you to get motor insurance.

Yep was thinkng that, ive learnedmy lesson now anyway, just wondering how long it will affect me for, maybe part of the reason why its hard is because i am still only 23
Reply 14
Original post by Jackieox
I think they do database checks first to see if you have or not.. I know with mine they did a full check on me first

Did you have insurance cancelled before? If so..
What did you do?
Did you have insurance cancelled before? If so..
What did you do?

No i never had insurance cancelled before as this is my first year of driving, but I know that they did a full check because I did it online and then the insurer rang because some things flagged up (It was something on a previous driver who hadn't cancelled the policy) but it was fine,

it was because they rang that I knew that done at least a very basic check but they told on the phone they do a full check on everyone, it's easier now with computers anyway to check people
Reply 16
Fill in details to get a decent quote, (never had it cancelled, looking for next month etc, the little bits that affect the quote) then when they ring to confirm just say, you've had an issue with a previous insurer, but not sure if it counts as cancellation. You'll get some cheaper quotes that way, and some will give you the policy at the listed price.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending