The Student Room Group

Got offered a job without a proper interview. I'm suspicious

I seem to have come across quite a few dodgy companies this year :tongue:

Anyway, what do you people know about SITEL? I got a call today from one of their recruiters, saying that he saw my CV online and loved it. He asked me a few competency based questions, said I did great then offered me the job. The call lasted 12 minutes, 38 seconds. It was a customer service adviser role, which I'm not after at the moment but could do for a short time to get what I really want.

The problem is that I don't trust these people. He seemed way too eager and didn't even give me a proper interview. They're asking me to come in on Monday the 7th for training, with ID, proof of address, references and so on and so forth. I have 2 job interviews next week with reputable companies that I am currently preparing for. I had to do online tests or a phone interview before they invited me in for a face to face one, that's why I'm puzzled that SITEL offered me a job on the spot. I'm pretty sure that it is a real company but there has got to be a catch. I asked explicitly whether or not the job involved sales or cold calling, the recruiter told me it did not.
I've got job offers based on a phone interview before, but for temporary roles, so I think it depends what type of job it is. If the role is competitive, they can be much more selective, so perhaps they're a bit desperate for staff at the moment? You can always ask to meet them in person beforehand if you're unsure, interviews work both ways by giving you a chance to find out more about them, but it might make them question your commitment to the company. You can e-mail and ask for a formal statement of employment that you can read through beforehand? Or if you google it you might be able to find someone else working there?
Original post by roflcakes1
I've got job offers based on a phone interview before, but for temporary roles, so I think it depends what type of job it is. If the role is competitive, they can be much more selective, so perhaps they're a bit desperate for staff at the moment? You can always ask to meet them in person beforehand if you're unsure, interviews work both ways by giving you a chance to find out more about them, but it might make them question your commitment to the company. You can e-mail and ask for a formal statement of employment that you can read through beforehand? Or if you google it you might be able to find someone else working there?

Yes, it is supposed to be a temporary contract job. I'm just surprised that I only had to answer a few competency-based questions, instead of a proper, scheduled phone interview. I shall ask them a few more questions, however, reading the company reviews on glassdoor has made me wary already.
https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Overview/Working-at-Sitel-UK-EI_IE35865.11,19.htm
Reply 3
Original post by WBZ144
Yes, it is supposed to be a temporary contract job. I'm just surprised that I only had to answer a few competency-based questions, instead of a proper, scheduled phone interview. I shall ask them a few more questions, however, reading the company reviews on glassdoor has made me wary already.
https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Overview/Working-at-Sitel-UK-EI_IE35865.11,19.htm

It's most likely an agency, they'll give you a 0 hour contract and call you when they need you to work. You will have to be fully flexible.
Reply 4
Customer service jobs have a high turnover of staff. This could possible explain why they were eager to offer you a job despite not going for a face to face interview. I remember one summer holiday, I was offered a customer service job, despite not being invited to a face to face interview. It was a temp contract for 12 weeks so they weren't very strict. It wasn't a zero hour contract too. I was expected to be there between 9-5 so it was full time.
The reviews on Glassdoor are horrendous!
Reply 7
The reviews do seem awful but I'd go for the training as well as your two interviews next week. If the interviews don't pan out then at least it's something to fall back on and pad out your CV as you look for something better.
Original post by Skkc16
The reviews do seem awful but I'd go for the training as well as your two interviews next week. If the interviews don't pan out then at least it's something to fall back on and pad out your CV as you look for something better.

My biggest concern is that the bad reviews say that they fire people for stupid reasons and that you can get the boot for being off sick. I don't think that they would let me go to my interviews if I started with them on Monday.
Reply 9
Original post by WBZ144
My biggest concern is that the bad reviews say that they fire people for stupid reasons and that you can get the boot for being off sick. I don't think that they would let me go to my interviews if I started with them on Monday.

I see. This is clearly just a short term thing so I wouldn't reject the interviews. Maybe tell them you had prior engagements (e.g. a doctor's appointment) that you can't get out of so you can go to your interviews. If they say no then just as well.

There'll be loads of these temp jobs anyway as it's coming up to Christmas so you should be able to find another one if your preferred choices don't work out.
Can't say it's unusual given the situation in my head...

I'm thinking it's a position with a high turnover, that paired with it being close to Christmas... Companies don't tend to be all that choosy with Christmas temps from what I've heard, and if it really is a high turnover position, there's more incentive for them to just pick someone out of the blue and just straight up give them the job.
Reply 11
Original post by WBZ144
I seem to have come across quite a few dodgy companies this year :tongue:

Anyway, what do you people know about SITEL? I got a call today from one of their recruiters, saying that he saw my CV online and loved it. He asked me a few competency based questions, said I did great then offered me the job. The call lasted 12 minutes, 38 seconds. It was a customer service adviser role, which I'm not after at the moment but could do for a short time to get what I really want.

The problem is that I don't trust these people. He seemed way too eager and didn't even give me a proper interview. They're asking me to come in on Monday the 7th for training, with ID, proof of address, references and so on and so forth. I have 2 job interviews next week with reputable companies that I am currently preparing for. I had to do online tests or a phone interview before they invited me in for a face to face one, that's why I'm puzzled that SITEL offered me a job on the spot. I'm pretty sure that it is a real company but there has got to be a catch. I asked explicitly whether or not the job involved sales or cold calling, the recruiter told me it did not.

It's standard for call-centre jobs.
Original post by TheMcSame
Can't say it's unusual given the situation in my head...

I'm thinking it's a position with a high turnover, that paired with it being close to Christmas... Companies don't tend to be all that choosy with Christmas temps from what I've heard, and if it really is a high turnover position, there's more incentive for them to just pick someone out of the blue and just straight up give them the job.

Original post by Josb
It's standard for call-centre jobs.

I see. From what I gathered, some people have left them when they had enough then came back when they needed money. I will simply make an excuse not to go next week and call them back if none of my interviews work out. They are the sort of company that hires any Tom Dick or Harry anyway.
Original post by Skkc16
I see. This is clearly just a short term thing so I wouldn't reject the interviews. Maybe tell them you had prior engagements (e.g. a doctor's appointment) that you can't get out of so you can go to your interviews. If they say no then just as well.

There'll be loads of these temp jobs anyway as it's coming up to Christmas so you should be able to find another one if your preferred choices don't work out.

I'll see how that goes. I always get a job description when someone wants to hire me but they have told me very little about the role, the company and nothing about the pay. Methinks it will be minimum wage or commission-based.

As of now I am not desperate; I'm still technically a student (just waiting for my final LLM grades) and I am comfortable at my parent's home for the time being, although I hope to move out again next year. So I will be a bit picky until I either get something or do become desperate :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending