The Student Room Group

Finding it hard to get a job

Hi all,

Firstly I'd like to apologise as I know posts like these crop up every other week but I was hoping someone could give me some advice! And before I start, I'd appreciated it if no one wrote a rude reply saying I'm not trying hard enough to apply or get experience as it's completely unhelpful... Let me explain the situation:

I've been trying to apply for a range of jobs but am just getting nowhere, even when I make an effort to contact the employer and ask what kind of experience they're looking for to make sure I'm not over-shooting in what I apply for.

I work full time as an intern, but unfortunately it's not paid so I also work most weekends to pay for my travel. So I feel like I'm at a disadvantage already because I really have no time for job applications - I've resorted to doing them on the train home from work because often it's the only time I get. I'm also getting very fatigued with applying then getting rejections, and it's meant that each new application I do tends to be rushed and doesn't show enthusiasm. I'm trying to tackle this, but sometimes you literally can't make the day longer or make yourself un-tired and un-stressed. Before this internship, I completed another (both at very respectable organisations), did one 2 week 'internship' at university, and have worked every summer when at university. So please don't tell me that I haven't made an effort to get any work experience. I think one of the problems might be is that the experience I have is quite varied - meaning it's hard to compete with someone applying for the same job but they've already done 3 internships in exactly the same thing as the job post (which happened for the last job I applied to). Even my mum, who wants to change jobs at the moment, is finding it hard getting entry level admin jobs... and if I'm up against people like my mum who have 30+ years experience in admin jobs and still can't get it I don't know what else I can do?

I can't afford to do another unpaid internship, and I worry that doing 3 internships in a row might make employers question why I can't get a real job?

So... how can I make the most of the experience I have? And can anyone recommend recruitment agencies I can contact? The problem I've had in the past with agencies is that they tend to suggest jobs that are at a too high a level for me.
Original post by roflcakes1
Hi all,

Firstly I'd like to apologise as I know posts like these crop up every other week but I was hoping someone could give me some advice! And before I start, I'd appreciated it if no one wrote a rude reply saying I'm not trying hard enough to apply or get experience as it's completely unhelpful... Let me explain the situation:

I've been trying to apply for a range of jobs but am just getting nowhere, even when I make an effort to contact the employer and ask what kind of experience they're looking for to make sure I'm not over-shooting in what I apply for.

I work full time as an intern, but unfortunately it's not paid so I also work most weekends to pay for my travel. So I feel like I'm at a disadvantage already because I really have no time for job applications - I've resorted to doing them on the train home from work because often it's the only time I get. I'm also getting very fatigued with applying then getting rejections, and it's meant that each new application I do tends to be rushed and doesn't show enthusiasm. I'm trying to tackle this, but sometimes you literally can't make the day longer or make yourself un-tired and un-stressed. Before this internship, I completed another (both at very respectable organisations), did one 2 week 'internship' at university, and have worked every summer when at university. So please don't tell me that I haven't made an effort to get any work experience. I think one of the problems might be is that the experience I have is quite varied - meaning it's hard to compete with someone applying for the same job but they've already done 3 internships in exactly the same thing as the job post (which happened for the last job I applied to). Even my mum, who wants to change jobs at the moment, is finding it hard getting entry level admin jobs... and if I'm up against people like my mum who have 30+ years experience in admin jobs and still can't get it I don't know what else I can do?

I can't afford to do another unpaid internship, and I worry that doing 3 internships in a row might make employers question why I can't get a real job?

So... how can I make the most of the experience I have? And can anyone recommend recruitment agencies I can contact? The problem I've had in the past with agencies is that they tend to suggest jobs that are at a too high a level for me.

Hey, I was desperate to find a paid internship aswell for last Summer. I found one on this site - magnet.me, and I literally had the best Summer of my life. It was only £400 a month, but I got to work in Amsterdam (which was a personal goal of mine)

Now that I've finished my internship, I'm still working as a student ambassador, The good thing about it is you put all your details/experience etc and if companys are looking for your skill and see your profile they contact you too! its like a platform for companies and students to look for each other instead of you always having to apply - plus you can see exactly which company has looked at your profile.

- if you want use the link to sign up for free - and if you're interested I can even refer you to become a student ambassador and earn a bit of extra cash :wink:

https://join.magnet.me/u/angelarose.bagni.70730

Stop using recruitment agencies to start with, unless they are sector specific. They are bulk users, and all you do by using them is put yourself up against more competition. You should focus on leveraging opportunities from the people you currently work with. If you are an intern, then everyone knows it stands to reason that you are job hunting for a role in that sector. So no need to hide that, talk to everyone about where the next opportunity might arise, who to network with, where jobs are advertised, where the growth areas are in the sector, which organisations are likely to be growing, where you sills might best fit, where the future lies in the sector etc etc. Make sure everyone you come into professional contact with knows about you ambitions and that you are looking for a paid role.
Hi all,

As threeportdrift says take advantage of the fact you are in a professional environment at the moment- get talking to people. Can you get to any sector specific or similar events as part of your internship? I'm an intern (paid though thankfully) and just the other day I was at an event- I got talking to someone who works for another organisation and its lead to an invite to go and visit that organisation and meet the staff. Can the people you work with look at job applications? I've seen some organisations offering unpaid internships advertise that service as a kind of sweetner for not paying interns.

Certainly in the sector I'm in its quite normal to do 2-3 internships before someone lands a permanent job so I wouldn't worry about that.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
Stop using recruitment agencies to start with, unless they are sector specific. They are bulk users, and all you do by using them is put yourself up against more competition. You should focus on leveraging opportunities from the people you currently work with. If you are an intern, then everyone knows it stands to reason that you are job hunting for a role in that sector. So no need to hide that, talk to everyone about where the next opportunity might arise, who to network with, where jobs are advertised, where the growth areas are in the sector, which organisations are likely to be growing, where you sills might best fit, where the future lies in the sector etc etc. Make sure everyone you come into professional contact with knows about you ambitions and that you are looking for a paid role.

Thanks, this is actually very useful - I definitely haven't been networking enough in my current organisation as an intern, and unfortunately I don't have long left as an intern there but will take this advice with me for the last few weeks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending