The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

I Want to study with open university and travel, is it possible?

Hi, I want to study with the Open university in Feb and also wanted to travel to thailand to do a volunteering placement next year for about a year. does anyone know if I would still be entitled to student finance during this period?

Any advice would be great as I'm a bit confused as to if this is possible. Thanks
Original post by Raffparente
Hi, I want to study with the Open university in Feb and also wanted to travel to thailand to do a volunteering placement next year for about a year. does anyone know if I would still be entitled to student finance during this period?

Any advice would be great as I'm a bit confused as to if this is possible. Thanks

I'm self-funding my OU degree so i'm not 100% sure on student finance.

But from what I understand, the OU is always considered as 'part time' with Student Finance, even if you study full-time.

The long and short of this is that I think that you can cover your course with a tuition fee loan even if you're studying full time, that's fine, but you may only receive a maintenance loan for part-time study.

Regardless of my little ramble, you should get student finance funding, best to ring up and ask.

In terms of travelling, that's fine. I know plenty of people who travel, work abroad and so on while studying with the OU. As long as you make sure you can access the internet, and take your books with you abroad, you should be totally fine.

Word of advise, just make sure you give Student Finance and the OU your England address, as it'll mean you'll get your books and funding easier, and as books are delivered before the term begins you'll have them ready for when you go abroad. Don't confuse matters with an address in Thailand.

To conclude, the OU are a wonderful university to study with, and I wish you all the best!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest