The Student Room Group

University choices; English Literature

I am currently about to submit my UCAS application but am unsure on the prestige of some universities concerning English literate (other than the obvious Oxford, St Andrews etc...). My predictions are AAA and was wondering what universities I should be applying to- preferably city based rather than campus.
Prestige should not really be a factor in choosing where to apply. You need to look in detail at individual English courses because the module options will differ quite a lot. Oxford, for example, require all students to study Old English, so if you have zero interest in Old English/medieval literature then its best avoided. But UCL, Durham and Edinburgh all have good reputations for English.
Cambridge, UCL, Durham, Warwick, and Edinburgh all have good reputations. However, as Snufkin said please don't be one of those applicants who says: 'I am predicted AAA. This university's typical offer is AAA. It is at position x in the leaderboard. This means it is a good option. I will apply.' There are so many other things to consider! The nature of the course, topics covered, teaching style, university life...
Reply 3
Thank you for the feedback, I do agree that theres more to university application than leaderboard placement. I've already decided a campus lifestyle isn't for me and I've made sure the courses in consideration all interest me and revolve around my strengths so I think I should be alright. I just wasn't sure how universities such as Glasgow (not particularly high on leaderboards or mentioned above) would be judged. I simply needed a rough idea of highly recognised English literature universities :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending