The Student Room Group

Grade growing thingy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NotNotBatman
Below are the things I want to do over the Christmas holiday. Upon completion of each task, I'll colour it in green.

Maths/FM
FP2
June 14 IAL
June 14 R
June 15
June 15 IAL
June 16
June 16 IAL
Edexcel Mock Paper
Specimen Paper
Specimen IAL
Review Exercise 2 (All questions)
Madasmaths Complex transformations (All questions)

FP3 (Not exhaustive)
Examsolutions Hyperbolics
Examsolutions Conics
Examsolutions Differentiation
Exercise 1A-1F (All questions)
Exercise 2A-2G (All questions)
Exercise 3A-3D(All questions)
Some Exercise 4

C3/C4
Gold Paper 4

M1 (Non exhaustive)
Exercise 4A - 4D (All questions)
Exercise 6A - 6G (All questions)
Exercise 3A - 3I (Skip boring questions)

D2
All questions on (excluding setting up linear programming) :
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

S2
Watch all Examsolutions videos
1 Past paper

Economics
Unit 1
Jan 2009
June 2009
Jan 2010
June 2010
Jan 2011
June 2011

Unit 4
TBC

Physics
Memorise things from the textbook.

Ruddy hell good luck :afraid:
Reply 41
Below are the things I want to do over the Christmas holiday. Upon completion of each task, I'll colour it in green.

Maths/FM
FP2
June 14 IAL
June 14 R
June 15
June 15 IAL
June 16
June 16 IAL
Edexcel Mock Paper
Specimen Paper
Specimen IAL
Review Exercise 2 (All questions)
Madasmaths Complex transformations (All questions)

FP3 (Not exhaustive)
Examsolutions Hyperbolics
Examsolutions Conics
Examsolutions Differentiation
Exercise 1A-1F (All questions)
Exercise 2A-2G (All questions)
Exercise 3A-3D(All questions)
Some Exercise 4

C3/C4
Gold Paper 4

M1 (Non exhaustive)
Exercise 4A - 4D (All questions)
Exercise 6A - 6G (All questions)
Exercise 3A - 3I (Skip boring questions)

D2
All questions on (excluding setting up linear programming) :
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

S2
Watch all Examsolutions videos
1 Past paper

Economics
Unit 1
Jan 2009
June 2009
Jan 2010
June 2010
Jan 2011
June 2011

Unit 4
TBC

Physics
Memorise things from the textbook.

Do you have the 2016 papers for the math modules that your doing?
Recent assessment scores in college:

C3 - 74/75 (98.67% - 2.d.p.) - All went well apart from a silly error, forgetting to mention 'change in sign and continuous, therefore root'. This is quite disappointing, as most of my marks are lost to silly errors and usually more is made in the exam, like last years exams, but I should be good as I have made a mental checklist to check for my common mistakes, this includes :
- Changing - to + and vice versa
- Copying the question down incorrectly
- Drawing curves in incorrect quadrants (more of an fp2 mistake)
- mixing up x coordinates of points of intersection and x axis intercept.
Hopefully this will eradicate errors made; I lost 6 marks to careless errors on last years C3 paper that Cannot happen this year.

Physics - 55% I need to learn the wave equations and recap polarisation in addition to the optical fibres stuff. The penny dropped a few days ago and I think I finally understand smelly (Snell's) law :tongue:.

I am still waiting for two fp2 tests back as well as D2 and a refraction test.

I have created the FP2 and FP3 exam threads, as the C3 I created last year helped a lot, as it makes me feel obliged to do sufficient revision, like this thread does :biggrin:

My average in FP2 is now 89.6% up from 88.3% last week. The reason I calculate this is because my scores last year were either bang on my averages or very close, with a few exceptions.

Also started economics unit 1 multiple choice questions, usually getting 7/8 correct, but my aim is 100% on the multiple choice section. I'm doing economics at home by using past papers, the mark scheme,examiners reports, econplusdal and economicshelp.org. This kind of worked for unit 3 last year, so I'm hoping this is enough to boost unit 1 and unit 4 UMS.

I'm sure there is more I want to say, but I can't think of anything else right now.
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Ruddy hell good luck :afraid:

Merci, I'm recompensing for all the procrastination over the past 3 months:tongue:.

Original post by S2M
Do you have the 2016 papers for the math modules that your doing?

I have physical copies, yeah. I might have saved some digital copies somewhere, I can't remember.
Merci, I'm recompensing for all the procrastination over the past 3 months:tongue:.

I have physical copies, yeah. I might have saved some digital copies somewhere, I can't remember.

haha I hope it works out for you! :hugs:
Very impressive report ^^ btw! :rave: Keep at it! I know who to come to with my C3 problems now :rofl: That's so impressive :colondollar: :colondollar:
Reply 45

Ok that's good. If you forget I have a website that should be of some help. :smile: Thats a lot of work to in 2 weeks. Good luck! :h:
haha I hope it works out for you! :hugs:
Very impressive report ^^ btw! :rave: Keep at it! I know who to come to with my C3 problems now :rofl: That's so impressive :colondollar: :colondollar:

I'd be happy to help :smile:

Original post by S2M
Ok that's good. If you forget I have a website that should be of some help. :smile: Thats a lot of work to in 2 weeks. Good luck! :h:

3 weeks* :u:
Thanks.

Thanks.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 48

Thanks.

Oh a week more. :smile:
Anytime.
Quick update to post 43, I have now got the two FP2 tests back one was a full paper (altered) and the other was a test on first and second order differential equations the scores were:

Full paper: 75/75
DE test: 100%

Obviously, I am pleased with these results and as the Christmas Holiday has now begun, I am trying to get all other modules up to that standard.
Hey, any tips for C3 trig? I'm consistently getting A's in past papers but only mid 80s UMS, as I always seem to drop marks on trig..
Original post by DarkEnergy
Hey, any tips for C3 trig? I'm consistently getting A's in past papers but only mid 80s UMS, as I always seem to drop marks on trig..

In trig equations you can check if your answer is correct by just substituting it into the original equation, so you'll never leave incorrect answers.

Remember cosx = sin(90-x) and sinx = cos(90-x), it always seems to be forgotten.

When expressing a trig equation in the harmonic form, take the time to expand out and do the necessary steps to equate coefficients, rather than using R=a2+b2 R=\sqrt{a^2+b^2} and α=arctan(ba)\displaystyle \alpha = arctan(\frac{b}{a}) as the functions can be swapped.

Use unrounded values in your calculation, if you have a casio calculator, store these values, by pressing shift->STO->(letter)

Another thing is the max and min values; you need to consider what value of the variable factor makes the entire function a maximum or minimum, it's not always max cosx leads to max f(x) or min cosx leads to min f(x). See c3 June 13 question 8.

What else is there? ...
Identities; you'll just have to practise them and don't use the formula sheet.

These are the things, I had to watch out for when learning c3, but it depends what you're good at. Any specific trig questions you're struggling on? Also would you know how to find the value of sin(arcosx) and tan(arcsinx) and solve inverse trig equations?
-

Thanks for the reply mate

Ah cheers, didn't know how to use the store feature.

What exam board are you on about for the c3 june 13 s8?

I think it's mainly identities and knowing when to use them really, like I came across this question when I was doing a C3 paper yesterday

I got every question right except this one, where I managed to get 2 marks, which was just for expanding the equation in part 3. I think I get it now, but it's just I can't really spot what to use when questions like this come up.
Original post by DarkEnergy
Thanks for the reply mate

Ah cheers, didn't know how to use the store feature.

What exam board are you on about for the c3 june 13 s8?

I think it's mainly identities and knowing when to use them really, like I came across this question when I was doing a C3 paper yesterday

I got every question right except this one, where I managed to get 2 marks, which was just for expanding the equation in part 3. I think I get it now, but it's just I can't really spot what to use when questions like this come up.

Ohh, I sometimes forget that some people are on different exam boards :tongue: , I meant edexcel.

straight away when i see that question I'm thinking of addition formulae and that the value of tan45 and tan 15 are exact values.
Ohh, I sometimes forget that some people are on different exam boards :tongue: , I meant edexcel.

straight away when i see that question I'm thinking of addition formulae and that the value of tan45 and tan 15 are exact values.

Damn that question looks horrible, seems like a mix of mechanics too

Ah right, thanks for the tips btw. cant rep u
It has been almost two months since the last post and in that time, I have done a decent amount of work and a significant amount of procrastination :biggrin: there have been some updates in the OP, including mock exam results. In post no. 40 I made a checklist of things I wanted to complete during the Christmas holiday, which was three weeks for me; I managed to complete 16/37 of the tasks on time ~ 43% (not too bad eh :redface:)

Mock exam results:
Maths - A* :dance:
Further Maths - A :s-smilie:
Physics - U :redface:

I'm a bit disappointed with the FM, as marks were only lost to silly mistakes, which carried through rather than lack of understanding, so there is not much I can do other than practise more questions and carefully check work.

I have finished self teaching M1 and have gotten low As on past papers, so not too bad, I don't think the UMS in M1 will matter as much, but I haven't calculated anything yet. Since I'm paying to for this exam along with two economics exams, the cost should provide an incentive to do well.

So, what I'm going to post for the rest of the week will be small updates of what I've worked on each day for the rest of the half term; these may come late because I finish revising at ungodly hours ( 4am "yesterday":wink:. For today the plan is;

Economics - Make notes on : The J curve effect, Monetary Unions and International Competitiveness.
S2 - Recap Hypothesis testing
M1 - 1 past paper
FP3 - Practise integration questions until my fingers are bleeding, (with focus on reduction formulae and arc length).
It has been almost two months since the last post and in that time, I have done a decent amount of work and a significant amount of procrastination :biggrin: there have been some updates in the OP, including mock exam results. In post no. 40 I made a checklist of things I wanted to complete during the Christmas holiday, which was three weeks for me; I managed to complete 16/37 of the tasks on time ~ 43% (not too bad eh :redface:)

Mock exam results:
Maths - A* :dance:
Further Maths - A :s-smilie:
Physics - U :redface:

I'm a bit disappointed with the FM, as marks were only lost to silly mistakes, which carried through rather than lack of understanding, so there is not much I can do other than practise more questions and carefully check work.

I have finished self teaching M1 and have gotten low As on past papers, so not too bad, I don't think the UMS in M1 will matter as much, but I haven't calculated anything yet. Since I'm paying to for this exam along with two economics exams, the cost should provide an incentive to do well.

So, what I'm going to post for the rest of the week will be small updates of what I've worked on each day for the rest of the half term; these may come late because I finish revising at ungodly hours ( 4am "yesterday":wink:. For today the plan is;

Economics - Make notes on : The J curve effect, Monetary Unions and International Competitiveness.
S2 - Recap Hypothesis testing
M1 - 1 past paper
FP3 - Practise integration questions until my fingers are bleeding, (with focus on reduction formulae and arc length).

:hugs: Keep up the great stuff with maths! Looks like it is a question of practice with FM :jumphug: You will get there! Keep up the great stuff and gradually increase your productivity + motivation + WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :woo: :excited: :yay: :party: :smile:
I can always help with the physics if you ever need it but hold your head up high, looks like you had a bad day :hugs: Here for you if you ever need a chat or anything :penguinhug:
But great stuff, keep going! You should soon start to see a light at the end of this seemingly never-ending tunnel :yep:
:hugs: Keep up the great stuff with maths! Looks like it is a question of practice with FM :jumphug: You will get there! Keep up the great stuff and gradually increase your productivity + motivation + WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :woo: :excited: :yay: :party: :smile:
I can always help with the physics if you ever need it but hold your head up high, looks like you had a bad day :hugs: Here for you if you ever need a chat or anything :penguinhug:
But great stuff, keep going! You should soon start to see a light at the end of this seemingly never-ending tunnel :yep:

Apologies for the delayed response, I was in the middle of S2 revision .
Thanks, and responses like these increase my motivation :smile:
ehh, with physics it's more because the university requirements are independent of physics and I revised everything minutes before the mock, but I want to get a decent grade to keep my teacher satisfied/ in case of any changes. And as I'm doing AS physics, it's easier to wing the exam than maths, FM or Economics, but I won't do this ofc.
Apologies for the delayed response, I was in the middle of S2 revision .
Thanks, and responses like these increase my motivation :smile:
ehh, with physics it's more because the university requirements are independent of physics and I revised everything minutes before the mock, but I want to get a decent grade to keep my teacher satisfied/ in case of any changes. And as I'm doing AS physics, it's easier to wing the exam than maths, FM or Economics, but I won't do this ofc.

Apologies for this delayed response - chemistry revision :five: :tongue:
aw, it is not a problem :hugs:
:colonhash: Looks like someone needs to improve their attitude to physics :rolleyes: :tongue: :wink:
Please revise :rofl:
Here :hugs: if you need :smile:
15/02(Wed.)

- Notes Made on Economics unit 4, J curve effect, pros and cons of monetary Unions and international competitiveness; some points seem easy to remember, but some will need further recap.

- All of examsolutions S2 videos watched - There should be no problems with this module (for now).

- M1 jan 2009 paper completed; a past paper has never made me feel so defeated before and to put it into perspective it was 63/75 for 100 UMS and 49/75 for an A. I got a measly 46/75, but feel silly as I misquoted a value from my calculator losing 8 marks. So I have watched an examsolutions video for one of the incorrect questions; but I will do the when I wake up, as I think there's a lot of important concepts in that paper.

I was going to do a few hours of FP3 integration, but mechanics has almost defeated me, so that'll have to be done tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending