The Student Room Group

Studying Abroad Maintenance Loan and Travel Grant

Hi,
I have just been offered a place at Melbourne University to study abroad for a year. As a student from a low-income background I am relying on government assistance to fund this (although I do have some personal savings if needed). I was just wondering if you do get an increased maintenance loan for a study abroad year and what might the amount be for 2024/25 as I have seen some websites say this but not the actual SFE website. Also, I know that the travel grant will reimburse costs such as travel, visas and health cover, but it’s quite vague as to how much/ if all expenses would be covered (I do know you have to cover the first £303 of travel costs).

Although I recognised it is quite early to know for certain, I ideally would like to if it is realistic that I am afforded enough grant/loan to cover my year abroad- given I have to accept/ reject the offer in less than a month.

Many thanks.
Original post by phoenuix
Hi,
I have just been offered a place at Melbourne University to study abroad for a year. As a student from a low-income background I am relying on government assistance to fund this (although I do have some personal savings if needed). I was just wondering if you do get an increased maintenance loan for a study abroad year and what might the amount be for 2024/25 as I have seen some websites say this but not the actual SFE website. Also, I know that the travel grant will reimburse costs such as travel, visas and health cover, but it’s quite vague as to how much/ if all expenses would be covered (I do know you have to cover the first £303 of travel costs).

Although I recognised it is quite early to know for certain, I ideally would like to if it is realistic that I am afforded enough grant/loan to cover my year abroad- given I have to accept/ reject the offer in less than a month.

Many thanks.

Hi there, I'm very sorry but the funding options for 24/25 Academic Year are not available just now. Do you have any information regarding the placement yet? Thanks, Ross
Reply 2
I’ve not received any specific information yet but through my own research its my responsibility to cover the costs of flights, student visa etc (as in my university does not know if it will receive Turing funding yet). Were travel grants available to students last year? Surely its not a stretch to assume it would be the same this year?
Hi phoenuix,

If it is a study abroad year with full attendance at the university, then you would be eligible for full income assessed support. The Travel Grant, you can claim u to 3 return journeys and it is expected that this would be economy class and any travel should be for the sole purpose of traveling to and from the destination of where you will be studying. The entitlement and eligibility of this will be based on the household income with a threshold of £39,796.00 for the maximum amount available (this will be subject to calculations carried out by our assessors. You are best checking this nearer the time, as our applications for 24/25 will launch in the Spring/Summer of 2024.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending