The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to Universities want higher grades than I have?

I done my A Levels this year and got BCD (psychology, sociology, human biology). Including my AS Level I have 108 points, just A2 I have 96.

The universities I'm looking at have entry requirements of: 112 points, BBB, ABB, BBC. Obviously, I have not quite got this.

Before the new UCAS Tarrif points system I had UCAS 280 points and most universities were also asking of 280 points.

More info: I'm taking a gap year. Currently working full time in a residential care home supporting adults with autism, mental health issues and learning difficulties. I also volunteer with children with cerebral palsy. I will hopefully be travelling to Africa to do some healthcare volunteering next year too. There fore I believe along with this and many other things that my personal statement will be very impressive.

So what I'm asking is: is it a waste of time to apply for universities that I simply don't have the grades for? Do they value personal statements or grades more? Do you think because of my experience they will give me a chance despite not quite having the grades?

Any help, advice and opinions will be appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by em1123
I done my A Levels this year and got BCD (psychology, sociology, human biology). Including my AS Level I have 108 points, just A2 I have 96.

The universities I'm looking at have entry requirements of: 112 points, BBB, ABB, BBC. Obviously, I have not quite got this.

Before the new UCAS Tarrif points system I had UCAS 280 points and most universities were also asking of 280 points.

More info: I'm taking a gap year. Currently working full time in a residential care home supporting adults with autism, mental health issues and learning difficulties. I also volunteer with children with cerebral palsy. I will hopefully be travelling to Africa to do some healthcare volunteering next year too. There fore I believe along with this and many other things that my personal statement will be very impressive.

So what I'm asking is: is it a waste of time to apply for universities that I simply don't have the grades for? Do they value personal statements or grades more? Do you think because of my experience they will give me a chance despite not quite having the grades?

A brilliant personal statement isn't realistically going to make up for being more than two grades off of the entry requirements so yes maybe have one risky choice but otherwise you d be wasting your time applying to places you don't have the grades for.
It's always worth applying to something that's a bit above what you're going for (maybe a grade or two above) but honestly I think you need to improve your grades... I hate to say it (I'm trying to stay positive) but it's unlikely you'd get offers from those standard of unis with those grades. Make sure you try really hard this year if you're determined to go, or take a gap year to take resits. Best of luck!
If you have ACHIEVED grades, then you are not likely to get offers if you present with grades way lower than the required grades. There is no doubt about what you will get (as with predicted grades) so Unis dont make 'lenient' offers. One 'risky' choice on achieved grades is okay - any more than that and you could easily end up with no offers at all.

All this stuff is covered by "How to Avoid 5 Rejections" here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Original post by em1123

Definitely not recommended if you are applying to a Russell group uni unless you have a very good PS and work experience.
Original post by em1123

I would suggest u apply to unis with lower or the same entry requirements
I would say yes definitely apply to where you want to go, but obviously have some realistic choices, as well as at least one insurance choice (CCC as insurance maybe?). I got BC as my AS grades last year and have a C at A2, I got an offer from one of my aspirational unis (AA) but I know they always go into clearing so they may accept me on AB. You can also go through clearing, many good unis go into clearing.
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Definitely not recommended if you are applying to a Russell group uni unless you have a very good PS and work experience.

RG Unis won't accept an achieved C and D grade - it doesnt matter how good the rest of your application is.
Original post by returnmigrant
RG Unis won't accept an achieved C and D grade - it doesnt matter how good the rest of your application is.

Ohh, maybe

I got an offer from a RG uni with an achieved C grade, although it wasn't actually related to the subject I applied for.
Edit: I also failed one of my AS subjects and got an E and a D in others all related to the course I applied for, I retook the year and did okay.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lottsndotts
I got an offer from a RG uni with an achieved C grade, although it wasn't actually related to the subject I applied for.

Which is different to applying with two weak grades.
Which is different to applying with two weak grades.

ahh okay I get you! Misunderstood a little, sorry!
If you have ACHIEVED grades, then you are not likely to get offers if you present with grades way lower than the required grades. There is no doubt about what you will get (as with predicted grades) so Unis dont make 'lenient' offers. One 'risky' choice on achieved grades is okay - any more than that and you could easily end up with no offers at all.

All this stuff is covered by "How to Avoid 5 Rejections" here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

What does way lower mean? I got ABC at AS, and I'm predicted ABB by my teachers but it's guaranteed I will bump up the C and B up a grade (I calculated using a spreadsheet), so is applying AAB unis a giant stretch or no?
Original post by robbiesage
What does way lower mean? I got ABC at AS, and I'm predicted ABB by my teachers but it's guaranteed I will bump up the C and B up a grade (I calculated using a spreadsheet), so is applying AAB unis a giant stretch or no?

No, this is fine as one risky choice as you are only one grade below the requirement and these are predicted grades (ie. you could still actually work to achieve AAB).

For some subjects many RG Unis make 'aspirational offers' (ie. above the applicants predictions) but that depends on how popular the subject is, and the academic demands of the subject.

Just make your other choices more realistic - - the usual advice is "1 high/risky, 2 or 3 at your predicted grades, 1 or 2 just below that" - this will mean you should get some offers, and have an obvious Insurance choice (remember, grades can go down as well as up ....).
Original post by em1123

Your grades are a combined three grade boundaries below the lowest offer (BBC). But that is not even what worries me the most. It is the fact you achieved a D in human biology and want to do a healthcare course. That alone is likely to get you rejected irrespective of your other grades.

Get yourself back to college and do another human biology course (e.g. part-time HEFC module which you could study one night a week). Excellent work experience will not outweigh the bad grades in this case.
Reply 15
In short, no. You need to resit or make up the shortfall somehow. I supported a student through his psychology AS level as a private candidate for nursing and his UCAS application. Behind my back he applied to a university that asked for BBB. If I'd known, I would have told him not to. He then rang me really depressed because he had a rejection from his first choice. I was really annoyed with him because he'd applied based on its location and if he'd applied to the other university in the same city he probably would have got an offer.

If you don't meet the academic requirements then you will probably struggle to cope on the course itself. Volunteering and work do not make up for this. You have to provide the full package and you can't ameliorate one area of weakness with another area of strength.

Your alternative is to apply for places that will accept you on the basis of your results as they stand.
don't listen to people who say its a waste of time. My predicted grades are ACC and i have offers from newcastle and Liverpool so far for AAA and ABB. My personal statement and law reference were amazing but it proves you can apply for unis with higher grades than predicted
Original post by Asimplestudent
don't listen to people who say its a waste of time. My predicted grades are ACC and i have offers from newcastle and Liverpool so far for AAA and ABB. My personal statement and law reference were amazing but it proves you can apply for unis with higher grades than predicted

Get into a healthcare course at Liverpool or Newcastle with lower grades then come back and be relevant to the thread.
Are you thick? The
Point of my post was to let him know its not a waste of time to apply for courses with higher than predicted grades. I applied for Law which is a competetive course. Get the **** outta here
Original post by Asimplestudent
Are you thick? The
Point of my post was to let him know its not a waste of time to apply for courses with higher than predicted grades. I applied for Law which is a competetive course. Get the **** outta here

The person has already finished their exams so without redoing them they don't have the potential to improve on the grades like you would with predicted grades. Without contacting the universities directly first to ask if they can offer concessions in particular circumstances, I would agree that it would be a waste of a choice to apply when you know you don't meet the entry criteria. This person will need to either apply to unis with lower entry requirements or spend some time gaining extra qualifications so they meet the requirements for their chosen unis.

Quick Reply

Latest