The Student Room Group

How old do you think you ll be when you ll be able to afford a mortgage?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by claireestelle
So you want a nice fancy bachelor pad :tongue:

Ideally I'd get a modern detached house but I would have no or hardly any disposable income left over to enjoy.

In any case my future spouse should still be happy because I come from an underclass background and am not looking to socially mobilise in terms of culture, only in terms of lifestyle (i.e she'll be living a more long term prosperous lifestyle with me than any other option that is likely to be available (even though at the same time it will technically only be a two bedroom flat)).
Reply 41
I live in Liverpool, houses are cheap so I probs could get one for twice the average annual wage.
And you don't fancy settling down somewhere cheaper?

Sheffield's like the cheapest ever.
Original post by clonedmemories
Pretty much! If I'm only going to be living up here for another 3 years, there's very little point in purchasing a property for that amount of time, and I might as well get myself a job and get settled in an area before I consider that.

Especially when it could take months to sell something on,it's not worth the risk really.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Sheffield's like the cheapest ever.

Lancashire is cheaper but yeah it shouldn't be impossible for someone to buy up north
Original post by PlanLife
Ideally I'd get a modern detached house but I would have no or hardly any disposable income left over to enjoy.

In any case my future spouse should still be happy because I come from an underclass background and am not looking to socially mobilise in terms of culture, only in terms of lifestyle (i.e she'll be living a more long term prosperous lifestyle with me than any other option that is likely to be available (even though at the same time it will technically only be a two bedroom flat)).

A spouse shouldn't be choosing you purely on your lifestyle though I d hope:tongue:
Original post by tomlam
I live in Liverpool, houses are cheap so I probs could get one for twice the average annual wage.

The nicer parts of Liverpool though?
Reply 47
A spouse shouldn't be choosing you purely on your lifestyle though I d hope:tongue:

No not choosing me for my lifestyle but seeing as 50% of marriages end and a high percentage of these ending are due to financial reasons then by providing a more prosperous lifetstyle than either of us grew up in will improve my chances of not falling into these statistics
I don't think it's unrealistic at all, if I had a partner i'd probably have been able to do it next year but unfortunately it's going to take a lot longer on my own.

I've just moved in with relatives where i'll be living rent free, so when I find a job i'll put away a good chunk of my earnings each month and should be in an excellent position this time next year. It's not that expensive to buy in the north west.
Reply 49
The nicer parts of Liverpool though?

A mortgage is a mortgage, beggars can't be choosers.

Even in nice areas, 3/4 bed semis go for less than £200k. People down south complain about the housing crisis but if they take the mild pay cut and move up north they could have a much better quality of life. You can rent a penthouse in the docks for £2k/mo.

Like my mate is 19 and is in a higher apprenticeship, he can afford the mortgage for a 2 bed flat in a nice bit of the Wirral, think he earns £15k. When I graduate from Uni I'll probably be able to afford to buy a decent house even from £21k as a teacher.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PlanLife
No not choosing me for my lifestyle but seeing as 50% of marriages end and a high percentage of these ending are due to financial reasons then by providing a more prosperous lifetstyle than either of us grew up in will improve my chances of not falling into these statistics

People aren't statistics, you could have millions and still argue over what it should be spent on:tongue: we re far from rich but after almost 3 years of living together we certainly won't be divorcing especially not over anything like money.
Original post by tomlam
A mortgage is a mortgage, beggars can't be choosers.

Even in nice areas, 3/4 bed semis go for less than £200k. People down south complain about the housing crisis but if they take the mild pay cut and move up north they could have a much better quality of life. You can rent a penthouse in the docks for £2k/mo.

Like my mate is 19 and is in a higher apprenticeship, he can afford the mortgage for a 2 bed flat in a nice bit of the Wirral, think he earns £15k. When I graduate from Uni I'll probably be able to afford to buy a decent house even from £21k as a teacher.

My fiancés from the Wirral so we won't be buying there:tongue: But you re right plenty of cheap semis going up north and a much better quality of life for your money.
Original post by sr90
I don't think it's unrealistic at all, if I had a partner i'd probably have been able to do it next year but unfortunately it's going to take a lot longer on my own.

I've just moved in with relatives where i'll be living rent free, so when I find a job i'll put away a good chunk of my earnings each month and should be in an excellent position this time next year. It's not that expensive to buy in the north west.

I guess whether you meet someone to buy with has a major impact on when people are able to buy a home. Everybody should move up north :tongue:
Original post by Sternumator
I could afford it now. I'm 24. I earn enough and have a enough saved for a deposit but because of my circumstances, I am planing to get my first mortgage in 3-4 years. Which would make me 26.

24+3 = 27 =/= 26
Lancashire is cheaper but yeah it shouldn't be impossible for someone to buy up north

I hope so. :tongue:
Reply 55
While I'm still this side of 60 if I'm lucky

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
24+3 = 27 =/= 26

I've just turned 24 so in 2 years 11 months I will be 26.
Reply 57
People act like it's so easy to just shift from one end of the island to the other as if the north/south cultural divide is just a myth. The fact is that if you live above or beneath Birmingham and you try to switch to the other side you will be socially isolated and ostracised.

I have witnessed this happen from both sides to the extent that I would say the one defining factor that is most likely to determine whether you can settle into a new area (above race, class, money, social norms and etiquette, adaptability and assimilation skills) is how distinct your accent is from the area you are trying to settle down in to
It really depends. If I stay in London or in the UK then I think I won't ever be able to buy one until I'm in my early 30s. If I go abroad it might be sooner. My cousin's moved to China for a few years and she managed to buy an apartment in Shanghai and she's only 28.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's never too late to make some sort of career plans :smile:

Mmmhm the thing is I'm not that good at much practical stuff, it's awfully limiting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending