The Student Room Group

How many grad schemes have you applied for?

This poll is closed

How many grad schemes/ jobs have you applied for?

3 or less 35%
4 5%
5 5%
6 0%
7 5%
8 0%
9 0%
10 5%
11 0%
12 5%
13 0%
14 0%
15 5%
16 0%
17 0%
18+35%
Total votes: 20
How many grad schemes have you applied for? Don't know if i've done enough!
Hello I applied for five, I am currently running a small business but want to do accounting
ZERO
Original post by finalyearstress
How many grad schemes have you applied for? Don't know if i've done enough!

You need to be applying for as many as is physically possible. They are all insanely competitive and will take on only the most polished and accomplished of graduates, so I hope you have plenty of relevant work experience, have completed at least one internship, and have taken part in a plethora of extra-curricular activities - otherwise I'm afraid it's going to be a long struggle.
I've probably applied for 15+, though I'm not sure of the exact number. It's definitely best to apply for as many as you possibly can, as is mentioned above they're incredibly competitive, and the more you apply for, assuming a quality application, the more likely you are to get a positive result back :smile:
Original post by J-SP
Don't apply for "as many as possible" - that's where so many people go wrong, just firing off applications for programmes they are not really interested in with organisations they know little about.

It's better to make targeted and highly tailored applications.

Not all of them are that competitive either. In fact, many graduate programme vacancies remain unfolded each year because they don't get the right quantity/quality of applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many would you recommend?
Original post by J-SP
Don't apply for "as many as possible" - that's where so many people go wrong, just firing off applications for programmes they are not really interested in with organisations they know little about.

It's better to make targeted and highly tailored applications.

Not all of them are that competitive either. In fact, many graduate programme vacancies remain unfolded each year because they don't get the right quantity/quality of applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But they are still "competitive" in the sense that you need you need the work experience, the internships, the extra-curriculars, the social skills etc otherwise they'll just reject you and leave the place unfilled. It's not as if mediocre graduates are getting in by default due to lack of applicants.
Reply 7
I have applied for 70 since finishing my Masters mid-October. I am also currently doing a paid part-time role too. It is an extremely tedious process but I've got to the point now where I've done so many competency phone/video interviews and so many psychometrics that I've seen/prepared for every question and done every format of test. I now find them extremely easily. Similarly, I've done so many AC's in the past 2 months that I am 100% calm before and during the day; a stark contrast to my first when I was literally shaking with nerves before my presentation.

As with anything, practice makes perfect. I've not necessarily got through to so many ACs, and received some offers because I will be the best person for the job, but through sheer volume and repetition of the processes. Although as another poster mentioned, spreading yourself this thin is a risk, particularly if there are ones you really want. This is because application processes vary greatly depending on the company, some (for example the financial sector) require lots of technical knowledge. Whereas others (for example Boeing) didn't ask a single technical question, or have any exercise that made use of any research I had done, it was entirely self-contained.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending