The Student Room Group

How many of you do Geography (GCSE, AS or A2)?

I've just been skimming through the threads and have noticed that quite a lot of the members on UK-Learning study geography at all different levels. I honestly cannot stand the subject, but can all of those who do Geography please explain why they do it and do they like it/find it interesting or not? (This is in no way a thread to disagree with those who do take Geography, just in case some people get misleaded and think that it is!) :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

I do geography A-level and although AS was a little boring because it was hardly any more difficult than GCSE, i still love it and am hopefully going to do it as a degree because IT JUST ROCKS, ok? :biggrin:
Reply 2
SiAnY
I do geography A-level and although AS was a little boring because it was hardly any more difficult than GCSE, i still love it and am hopefully going to do it as a degree because IT JUST ROCKS, ok? :biggrin:
Ok, that's one reason. Why do you love it so much (just wondering out of curiosity)? Anymore reasons by the way people? Oh, and SiAnY, I'm loving the new avatar.
Reply 3
SiAnY
Oh,and what did you get for GCSE's? (Curiousity again!)
Reply 4
Because it's interesting, it's nice to know how the world around us works rather than dealing with successive abstract ideas. I did it for GCSE and AS and am doing at A2 and for my degree :smile:
Reply 5
I did AS, and it was boring as hell. really, who wants to learn about helicoidal flow and how rocks and stuff move down the river :rolleyes:

they kept all the good stuff for A2; migration, climate, and some other things I cant remember
Reply 6
I did Geography GCSE and AS-level (both were quite easy) - it's quite probable that I will go to do A2 next year too. Although I fully realise that it's nothing to be proud of. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Ok, thank you, now I can see the point in people wanting to choose it as a subject.
I regret not doing Geography at GCSE, because I really liked it and stupid me picked History instead. :mad: grrrrr.....

I was very good at it as well (for me), one of my strongest subjects!
icetopaz_h454
Oh,and what did you get for GCSE's? (Curiousity again!)

4 A*, 2 A and 5 B grades. :frown: Stupid Bs. A* in geog.

icetopaz_h454
Ok, that's one reason. Why do you love it so much (just wondering out of curiosity)? Anymore reasons by the way people? Oh, and SiAnY, I'm loving the new avatar.

Ok, i love it because it spans the social and natural sciences, because it covers contemporary issues, because you learn skills like mapwork, because you get to do fieldwork and because so diverse. :smile:
SiAnY
4 A*, 2 A and 5 B grades. :frown: Stupid Bs. A* in geog.

Ok, i love it because it spans the social and natural sciences, because it covers contemporary issues, because you learn skills like mapwork, because you get to do fieldwork and because so diverse. :smile:

What did you get the rest of your grades for, and if you like map reading I am wondering if you did Duke of Edinburgh's Award? A lot of map reading in that. Oh, and B's aren't that Bad :rolleyes: .
Invisible
I regret not doing Geography at GCSE, because I really liked it and stupid me picked History instead. :mad: grrrrr.....

I was very good at it as well (for me), one of my strongest subjects!

My sister nearly took history GCSE instead of geog but i persuaded her to change :tongue: . And she's now changed media AS to geography AS too! Oh my powers of persuasion...
Reply 12
I just find it interesting, finding out why the world around us is like it is.

Isn't it handy to know what the weather is going to be like tomorrow? Or for the government to know how many houses to build so that we all have somewhere to live? Or for us to have clean air to breathe?

So many aspects of it are SO important that I cant help but find it interesting!

:biggrin:
icetopaz_h454
What did you get the rest of your grades for, and if you like map reading I am wondering if you did Duke of Edinburgh's Award? A lot of map reading in that. Oh, and B's aren't that Bad :rolleyes: .

I didn't do DoE but i really wish i had actually!

A* - geography, French, English (lang), ICT
A - maths, German
B - biology, chemistry, physics, English lit, statistics

I know Bs aren't bad but they should all have been As really :biggrin:
Reply 14
SiAnY
My sister nearly took history GCSE instead of geog but i persuaded her to change :tongue: . And she's now changed media AS to geography AS too! Oh my powers of persuasion...

Lol, nice one! everyone WILL study geography! :tongue:
SiAnY

I did well at History GCSE, just that I found it really boring and tedious, I could have done equally well at Geography, but having enjoyed it more over the 2 years!
Reply 16
SiAnY
I didn't do DoE but i really wish i had actually!

A* - geography, French, English (lang), ICT
A - maths, German
B - biology, chemistry, physics, English lit, statistics

I know Bs aren't bad but they should all have been As really :biggrin:

I did D of E, Brinze and Silver was fun, but Gold is a bit of a pain in the arse, too much like hard work!!
Invisible
I did well at History GCSE, just that I found it really boring and tedious, I could have done equally well at Geography, but having enjoyed it more over the 2 years!

I absoloutely loved geography lessons in years 10 & 11. Year 12 ones were ok, nowhere near as fun though!
Human Geography kicks ass too by the way! (Another reason to do Geography). I'm not too keen on physical, because I find a lot of it to be quite tedious, but settlement (and specifically urban morphology) is probably one of my favourite topics ever!
mobbdeeprob
Human Geography kicks ass too by the way! (Another reason to do Geography). I'm not too keen on physical, because I find a lot of it to be quite tedious, but settlement (and specifically urban morphology) is probably one of my favourite topics ever!

:biggrin: I'm more of a human person too :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending