The Student Room Group

Giving people you meet on internet sites your number.

Okay, I just want to know; do you think it's a no-no giving a person you meet on internet sites like myspace and facebook your number? I've been chatting to this guy on myspace.. he seems pretty cool and hasn't displayed any 'sleeze' signals. But all his '2039' friends on his contact list are girls.. which makes me think twice.. Also.. a lot of guys on myspace always ask me for my number.. which makes me think is it one of those 'get-as-many-numbers-as-i-can' sort of thing!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you're sure that you trust him, yes, but make sure you never give away your home number until you know exactly what you're dealing with.
Reply 2
Is there a reason you want to give this person your number specifically?

If it's just for a chat, it might be better not to bother. Safer that way.
Reply 3
How long have you 'known' him?
Reply 4
Dont see the problem. Whats the worst that could happen?
Contrarary to popular belief, not everyone on the internet is a child molester.
Reply 5
I've given my number to a few people from the internet...

all of them girls, around my own age from a forum I've been on for years. but yeah, I have had no problems.

you're the best person to judge whether you trust him tbh. if it goes wrong, you can just change numbers I guess. I wouldn't advise giving home numbers though, I wouldn't even though I've been talking to those people for 5+ years online.
if he has 2000 friends and hey are all girls, i'd be wary. if you can't resist, try and give him a number you don't mind 'losing' e.g. one you can afford never to use again. it would be a pain for him to be a wierdo and have your 'real' number if you see my thinking here..
Reply 7
Surely if he turns out to be Eddie the Ripper you can just bar it?
JC.
Dont see the problem. Whats the worst that could happen?
Contrarary to popular belief, not everyone on the internet is a child molester.

Yer but there are internet stalkers...and cud u really b bothered to change ur no. if he got annoying/scary/clingy/stalkerish (lol)
Id pheraps suggest msn or meeting up in a crowded place wid some friends
(its not really logical that i see that as better than giving him ur no.... but hey)
Reply 9
it depends on your instinct and how long you have known them etc... but all can seem fine and you can still make a mistake. but as an above poster says, not all internet dwellers are perverted killers. most are just normal people! if you are keen to text/phone eachother, but are still not sure, what about getting a spare sim card? You can pick up a pay as you go one pretty cheap. Actually there are a lot of online offers where you can get them for free, i requested one from virgin mobile and one from t mobile and ended up with 6, lol. but that way, you can use an old phone and a different phone number until you decide that they are definitely genuine and not a stalker or obsessive. if they turn out to be weird, you can just get rid of that number and don't have to bother with barring him or worry about him calling you from payphones, posting your number on the internet etc. if they are ok, you can give them your real number eventually, im sure they wouldnt be offended, it's just you being sensible and careful.
Just remember that cute guy you're talking to could quite easily be a 60 year old pervert called Bob...
Yea but I think the chances are ever so slightly higher that someone's going to be lying about themselves on the internet, and that they're going to be lying about something big... what is the actual probability that you would have the bad luck to be chatted up by a serial killer :rolleyes:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
prettygreeneyes99
Yea but I think the chances are ever so slightly higher that someone's going to be lying about themselves on the internet, and that they're going to be lying about something big... what is the actual probability that you would have the bad luck to be chatted up by a serial killer :rolleyes:

I think it's a bit overblown really, the idea that stranger danger is worse on the internet. If they have a webcam it can put your mind at rest for a lot of things. But still, it might prove he is not a 60 year old pervert called Bob, but he might be a 22 year old pervert called Bob, which is no better. So you're right, you have to be careful and not get carried away. But there is not much to lose from givinng someone a secondary phone number, especially if you have no intention of taking things further. and if you do want to meet up or whatever, it's good to text or call eachother first. If you do this and decide you don't click or you still have a funny feeling about him you can just erase him, no harm done. There is no reason why you should feel safer going home with a stranger from a bar than giving your number to someone you met online. It is possible to be chatted up by a killer, a rapist or a geneeral bad egg in the real world, it happens. It's essentially the same world, you know very little about the person in both cases and you have to trust your instincts and judgement about whether they are safe or not.
im_a_star
Okay, I just want to know; do you think it's a no-no giving a person you meet on internet sites like myspace and facebook your number? I've been chatting to this guy on myspace.. he seems pretty cool and hasn't displayed any 'sleeze' signals. But all his '2039' friends on his contact list are girls.. which makes me think twice.. Also.. a lot of guys on myspace always ask me for my number.. which makes me think is it one of those 'get-as-many-numbers-as-i-can' sort of thing!!!

OP-I would never give my number out even after 2 months! Its a no-no for me. Esp when he has 2039 girls as a friends on his myspace / facebook.
Hes proabably a ladies man :p: But seriously I wouldnt unless I got to know him properly for a good 1 and half years-3 years depending on the guy himself.
But maybe thats because I am very paranoid about guys on the net.
I have had some pretty horrible experiences lets put it that way.
So I wouldnt if I were u .
Care to post his space? :wink:
tlyh
I think it's a bit overblown really, the idea that stranger danger is worse on the internet. If they have a webcam it can put your mind at rest for a lot of things. But still, it might prove he is not a 60 year old pervert called Bob, but he might be a 22 year old pervert called Bob, which is no better. So you're right, you have to be careful and not get carried away. But there is not much to lose from givinng someone a secondary phone number, especially if you have no intention of taking things further. and if you do want to meet up or whatever, it's good to text or call eachother first. If you do this and decide you don't click or you still have a funny feeling about him you can just erase him, no harm done. There is no reason why you should feel safer going home with a stranger from a bar than giving your number to someone you met online. It is possible to be chatted up by a killer, a rapist or a geneeral bad egg in the real world, it happens. It's essentially the same world, you know very little about the person in both cases and you have to trust your instincts and judgement about whether they are safe or not.

Hmm, but why would anyone in their right mind go home with a stranger they had just met? I know I wouldnt! Generally I guess there's no problem with giving a mobile number out, but it just seems to me its easier for someone to project an image of themselves that may not be true at all, than if it was someone you were speaking to in the 'real world'. So personally I wouldnt give my number out to someone I had only spoken to over the internet, unless of course one of my friends knew them personally and so knew that they werent likely to be a nut job disguising themselves as a nice normal person!

EDIT* to add to my last post - Id rather be safe than sorry :p:
Reply 15
prettygreeneyes99
Hmm, but why would anyone in their right mind go home with a stranger they had just met? I know I wouldnt!

Yea, i'm the same but many a time when I was in a shared house I woke up to find random men in the living room! So some people do it. I see what you are saying though, it is easier for people to spin a web of lies online, I suppose.

So, OP, i would use a fake number, not your everyday one. That way you stay safe and can still potentially have fun!
Why does everyone meet people online these days? I really don't get it, especially as the majority of people on here are students, surely your social lives are good enough to meet people in real life?
Skype.
Reply 18
tetrahydrocannabinol.
Why does everyone meet people online these days? I really don't get it, especially as the majority of people on here are students, surely your social lives are good enough to meet people in real life?

Not all students are socialble :redface: It's easier to talk online with fewer inhibitions and barriers like shyness. And ugliness :biggrin: anyway talking to someone on msn, myspace and facebook, even sites like this, isn't "meeting people", it's just a pastime i suppose. Perhaps not the "coolest" one but we can't all be cool. We are not all made for wacky student houseparties and bar crawls and rowing societies. No one is claiming it's a substitute for the real deal, but really the internet is just another social tool. A club without the loud music and posers. Maybe a lot of people stretch the truth about themselves in their online personalities, but I am sure there are far more people who are genuine and just find it easier to chat using a keyboard. God i sound really tragic hah
tlyh
Not all students are socialble :redface: It's easier to talk online with fewer inhibitions and barriers like shyness. And ugliness :biggrin: anyway talking to someone on msn, myspace and facebook, even sites like this, isn't "meeting people", it's just a pastime i suppose. Perhaps not the "coolest" one but we can't all be cool. We are not all made for wacky student houseparties and bar crawls and rowing societies. No one is claiming it's a substitute for the real deal, but really the internet is just another social tool. A club without the loud music and posers. Maybe a lot of people stretch the truth about themselves in their online personalities, but I am sure there are far more people who are genuine and just find it easier to chat using a keyboard. God i sound really tragic hah

Lol, I can honestly say I've never even come close to joining a rowing society! Yeah I kinda understand where you're coming from, but surely once you meet the person you'll have to have a face to face chat with them anyway, and isn't it better to know who they are from the start? I get guys adding me on myspace quite frequently, often with messages asking me if I want to chat, and I can't help but pity them for their desperation. My bf is very shy, bless him, but he still managed to get a loudmouth like me to notice (and fall in love with) him. And no, you don't sound tragic. I just started a thread about which type of pen I should purchase for my return to uni :ninja:

Latest

Trending

Trending