The Student Room Group

Do you know what career you want to do or you still clueless?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loisb45
;0
what would you teach?

languages.
Always wanted to go into grad entry medicine and be the best paediatrician out there- now I'm stressing out about a level bio and can't wait for it to be over, despite having offers for a genetics degree. Knowing I'm trying my absolute hardest to get into the course but I won't get there, I'm seriously excited about doing a German and French degree (hoping clearing goes my way) then a masters/aiming for a career in marketing where I can use my languages. Languages make me happy, and currently I'm v v not happy.

5 months left of school yayayayayayyayayyayaayyayayayy
Reply 102
Original post by ImagineCats
Always wanted to go into grad entry medicine and be the best paediatrician out there- now I'm stressing out about a level bio and can't wait for it to be over, despite having offers for a genetics degree. Knowing I'm trying my absolute hardest to get into the course but I won't get there, I'm seriously excited about doing a German and French degree (hoping clearing goes my way) then a masters/aiming for a career in marketing where I can use my languages. Languages make me happy, and currently I'm v v not happy.

5 months left of school yayayayayayyayayyayaayyayayayy
/
I think education is pressure but if you try your best what more can you do! scienes are hard I mean I never could do them Lol .
Original post by Boreism
Did they have previous work experience? If not then I'm hardly surprised at that if I'm being totally honest. Just goes to show that qualifications aren't everything these days. There is definitely a lot of delusioned graduates out there though.

I'm not actually sure if she did, but it's a shame if the hard work didn't pay off.
Original post by NotNotBatman
I'm not actually sure if she did, but it's a shame if the hard work didn't pay off.

My cousin (and possibly you?) will be in the same position if he doesn't go out there and do some (relevant?) work experience. However like most people he's quite delusional to think that by having great grades you can get anywhere.
But that isn't the case anymore nowadays. Clearly.
Qualifications aren't everything when looking for a job. Its more about what transferable skills you can bring to the job along with a great personality and positive work ethic and attitude.
Remember there will be many graduates who will be in the same position in the job market and you really need to stand out from everyone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Known since I was on my gap year that I wanted a policy role, currently in one now and I'm happy with that decision.
Original post by loisb45
Anywhere in particular you'd like to travel :smile:

Mostly Europe, but I want to cover as much as I can of the world.
I'm 31 and still have no idea what I really want to do.
Original post by Michiyo
I liked all 4 of my A-levels too. That does not mean I had a passion for them; liking something and having a special passion for and interest in something is different.

Good luck with your gap years if you choose to go down that route! :smile:

Also, thank you for the follow :hugs:

Just a tip: if you want to work in national security, never say you want to work in national security. Say nothing or lie.

I take it you are an IR applicant/future applicant/student too? :five:

The internship idea is great! I myself found out how much business bores me when I was sitting in my GCSE Business Studies class, doing nothing, and wondered if that is what I want to do for the rest of my life :laugh:

Haha, won't mention it anywhere off TSR :teehee: IR applicants unite! :five:

Yeah, the best way to find out whether you'd like a certain career is through an internship or a class! That sounds really boring, glad you discovered you weren't interested early on too.
Original post by loisb45
I mean the pressure at 16 to know or when you finsh to know what you want to do sometimes you don't! But I love History and Sociology and Would to love to do something relating to them! Being looking into Journalism as a career but dunno

It is just that even years after A levels, the majority of students don't know what a job they want to do. That shows up how difficult it is to come to a decision at 16.

Perhaps it would be helpful for you, if you get professional advice for your career planing?
Original post by rissanicole14

Yeah, the best way to find out whether you'd like a certain career is through an internship or a class! That sounds really boring, glad you discovered you weren't interested early on too.

TSR is still very insecure and it is easy to trace your real life persona to your TSR account. You know that, right? :colone:

IR applicants unite, indeed! :hugs: :five: I am always happy to see more IR applicants :awesome: What universities did you apply to?

It was boring indeed. Imagine I started year 11 on 15th September after moving to the UK and in November, I was among the first people in my class to finish my entire Business Studies coursework, research and write-up included, even though my classmates had their research done in year 10 and my attendance was about 48%. Some of my classmates were still trying to finish it in January so I never had anything to do. :rolleyes: At some point, I brought a book to class since everything was boring as hell :rofl:

Work experience, reading, and mimicking what someone in that career would do on a daily basis work too. To assure myself I want to study IR, I read Understanding International Relations by Chris Brown and Kirsten AInley; I got that feeling of exhilaration and loved it as expected. I would recommend it any day :wink: (I can send it to you if you want to read it too :lol: )
(edited 7 years ago)
I want to go into event management which isn't really much to do with my degree (creative writing)
Original post by Michiyo
TSR is still very insecure and it is easy to trace your real life persona to your TSR account. You know that, right? :colone:

IR applicants unite, indeed! :hugs: :five: I am always happy to see more IR applicants :awesome: What universities did you apply to?

It was boring indeed. Imagine I started year 11 on 15th September after moving to the UK and in November, I was among the first people in my class to finish my entire Business Studies coursework, research and write-up included, even though my classmates had their research done in year 10 and my attendance was about 48%. Some of my classmates were still trying to finish it in January so I never had anything to do. :rolleyes: At some point, I brought a book to class since everything was boring as hell :rofl:

Work experience, reading, and mimicking what someone in that career would do on a daily basis work too. To assure myself I want to study IR, I read Understanding International Relations by Chris Brown and Kirsten AInley; I got that feeling of exhilaration and loved it as expected. I would recommend it any day :wink: (I can send it to you if you want to read it too :lol: )

I was joking, dw :tongue: and me too! Haven't met enough of them :redface: I've only applied to Cambridge so far but it looks like I might be adding LSE and St. Andrews to my UCAS. I mainly applied to American unis though :biggrin: What about you?

I can't believe you finished your coursework that fast, especially being a new student! Admirable indeed; at least you had a lot of free time :rofl: where did you move to the UK from?

That sounds like a really neat book! Is it online? I would love to read it, since I'm definitely lacking in the reading aspect of international relations (I've read poli sci books but not that specific!). I purchased "Diplomacy" by Henry Kissinger because it was on the reading list of one of the unis I applied to without realizing it was almost 1,000 pages :colonhash: Is there a certain region of the world or a certain career (that you could comfortably disclose on the internet :wink:) that interests you?
Reply 113

Well you used to get career experince in like year 11 but the abolished that where can you get work experience?
I was joking, dw :tongue: and me too! Haven't met enough of them :redface: I've only applied to Cambridge so far but it looks like I might be adding LSE and St. Andrews to my UCAS. I mainly applied to American unis though :biggrin: What about you?

I can't believe you finished your coursework that fast, especially being a new student! Admirable indeed; at least you had a lot of free time :rofl: where did you move to the UK from?

That sounds like a really neat book! Is it online? I would love to read it, since I'm definitely lacking in the reading aspect of international relations (I've read poli sci books but not that specific!). I purchased "Diplomacy" by Henry Kissinger because it was on the reading list of one of the unis I applied to without realizing it was almost 1,000 pages :colonhash: Is there a certain region of the world or a certain career (that you could comfortably disclose on the internet :wink:) that interests you?

Subtle :wink:

I know, right? All of the IR applicants I saw were in the Official Exeter Applicants 2017 thread :lol:

Awesome! :awesome: I take it Cambridge is going to be your firm choice? :smile:

I only applied to Exeter. I did not care enough about any other university to add more choices :ahee: If I do not get in, I will go to a local university :smile:

It was easy, which surprised me since I did not even know what coursework was at that point :rofl: I would have loved the free time if only it was not so boring :moon:

I moved to the UK from Romania in year 11 :smile: I had to move back to Romania after AS, so my application shoud be very interesting :rofl:

I found it online, yes. If you give me an email or something (through PMs), I can send it to you :smile: (I tried to send it in a PM but I cannot attach it... :s-smilie: )

Nice. What books have you read? I have read The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama, The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli, The Art of War by Sun Tzu, Utilitarianism and On Liberty by John Stuart Mill, Understanding International Relations by Chris Brown and Kirsten Ainley (obviously), and some other books that are kind of related (In the Skin of a Jihadist by Anna Erelle, Intelligence in War by John Keegan, etc) :smile:

I read Understanding International Relations since it was recommended to me by Cambridge :laugh: (They were right, it was an amazing book.)

OMG! I am reading 'World Order' by Henry Kissinger right now! :five:

Where did you find the reading lists? :shock: I would love one for Exeter XDDD

I have already said that I want to be a strategy/strategic analyst or something among these lines :smile: As for regions of the world, not really, but I am guessing your main region of interest is the Middle East or Russia :ahee:
Original post by loisb45
Well you used to get career experince in like year 11 but the abolished that where can you get work experience?

I'm from the U.S. so I'm afraid I won't be a very useful source :frown: I found my work experience through a program at my school, but it's always useful to try to find family connections or ask a favorite teacher (I asked my year 10 Chemistry teacher for any work opportunities and he referenced some for me :smile:).

Original post by Michiyo
Subtle :wink:

I know, right? All of the IR applicants I saw were in the Official Exeter Applicants 2017 thread :lol:

Awesome! :awesome: I take it Cambridge is going to be your firm choice? :smile:

I only applied to Exeter. I did not care enough about any other university to add more choices :ahee: If I do not get in, I will go to a local university :smile:

It was easy, which surprised me since I did not even know what coursework was at that point :rofl: I would have loved the free time if only it was not so boring :moon:

I moved to the UK from Romania in year 11 :smile: I had to move back to Romania after AS, so my application shoud be very interesting :rofl:

I found it online, yes. If you give me an email or something (through PMs), I can send it to you :smile: (I tried to send it in a PM but I cannot attach it... :s-smilie: )

Nice. What books have you read? I have read The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama, The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli, The Art of War by Sun Tzu, Utilitarianism and On Liberty by John Stuart Mill, Understanding International Relations by Chris Brown and Kirsten Ainley (obviously), and some other books that are kind of related (In the Skin of a Jihadist by Anna Erelle, Intelligence in War by John Keegan, etc) :smile:

I read Understanding International Relations since it was recommended to me by Cambridge :laugh: (They were right, it was an amazing book.)

OMG! I am reading 'World Order' by Henry Kissinger right now! :five:

Where did you find the reading lists? :shock: I would love one for Exeter XDDD

I have already said that I want to be a strategy/strategic analyst or something among these lines :smile: As for regions of the world, not really, but I am guessing your main region of interest is the Middle East or Russia :ahee:

Really? Does Exeter have a good IR program I'm missing out on? :wink: Yeah, it will be. Expecting imminent rejection but there's still that tiny bit of hope inside :redface: What did you like about Exeter? I haven't done much research, but I see the name often here! I'm still not sure what my insurance choice is going to be...

That's awesome, really :smile: it also does sound really complicated lol. Was the transition from Romania to the UK difficult? And thanks for trying haha, I'll PM you an email!

You've read so much!! I'm even more excited to read Understanding International Relations now :awesome: how did you like In the Skin of a Jihadist? I also read The Prince (I really enjoyed it, I found so many quotes I felt I could apply to real life idk). I've also read Common Sense by Thomas Paine, The End of History by Francis Fukuyama, Clash of Civilizations by Samuel Huntington, the Compact of Medina, and Locke's Second Treatise of Civil Government. I really do want to read more, I've already started a list for the summer and the books you mentioned have definitely made it. And that's too funny :five:

Here's the reading list! I see your book on it now that I'm looking at it again http://www.hsps.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/subjects/pdfs/HSPSSUGGESTEDREADING

Oops, I didn't see it before :redface: it does sound like a super interesting (and important) career! Your guessing skills are on point :rofl: probably more the Middle East, idk why but I've always been interested in that region.
(edited 7 years ago)
Really? Does Exeter have a good IR program I'm missing out on? :wink: Yeah, it will be. Expecting imminent rejection but there's still that tiny bit of hope inside :redface: What did you like about Exeter? I haven't done much research, but I see the name often here! I'm still not sure what my insurance choice is going to be...

That's awesome, really :smile: it also does sound really complicated lol. Was the transition from Romania to the UK difficult? And thanks for trying haha, I'll PM you an email!

You've read so much!! I'm even more excited to read Understanding International Relations now :awesome: how did you like In the Skin of a Jihadist? I also read The Prince (I really enjoyed it, I found so many quotes I felt I could apply to real life idk). I've also read Common Sense by Thomas Paine, The End of History by Francis Fukuyama, Clash of Civilizations by Samuel Huntington, the Compact of Medina, and Locke's Second Treatise of Civil Government. I really do want to read more, I've already started a list for the summer and the books you mentioned have definitely made it. And that's too funny :five:

Here's the reading list! I see your book on it now that I'm looking at it again http://www.hsps.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/subjects/pdfs/HSPSSUGGESTEDREADING

Oops, I didn't see it before :redface: it does sound like a super interesting (and important) career! Your guessing skills are on point :rofl: probably more the Middle East, idk why but I've always been interested in that region.

Taking this to PMs so we do not take over the thread :smile:
Was pretty much certain about my career choice by the time I took IGCSE's. Even had a cute lil' plan to take a dual degree in Law and Journalism at UNSW. Before that, I was interested in computer Science, but I wasn't sure exactly what aspect of it. Before that, acting. Even further before that, archaeology. Pretty sure linguistics was on that list at some point.
Original post by prazzyjazzy
Was pretty much certain about my career choice by the time I took IGCSE's. Even had a cute lil' plan to take a dual degree in Law and Journalism at UNSW. Before that, I was interested in computer Science, but I wasn't sure exactly what aspect of it. Before that, acting. Even further before that, archaeology. Pretty sure linguistics was on that list at some point.

Why not UNSW? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88

Living expenses are pricey in Australia, and I'll be taking care of my grandparents in the UK *cough*they'llpayformylivingexpensesifIstaywiththem*cough*.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending