Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

She's 12 and she's calling me daddy, what do I do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My 12 year old daughter is turning 13 soon and she's still calling me daddy. I just want advice from anyone here who is a parent and has children of this age calling them this. It doesn't bother me too much but I am curious as to what age they stop doing that and say mum or dad for example. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You got me :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Title sounds weird
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The clickbait, wow... :facepalm2:

Sounds like a daddy issue.

ReputationRep:
    My 19 year old friend still calls her father "daddy".

ReputationRep:
    Interesting title!

If it's something that's bothering you, maybe talk to her about it and see how she feels about calling you dad instead - it may just be force of habit. It's a name, it may just stick! And if it isn't hurting you then it's certainly nothing to worry about. I have eighteen year old friends still calling their parents mummy and daddy, it's just a habit and what they've grown up with!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The clickbait is real. :lol:

But then, I'm 20 and I called my daddy my daddy (or his first name ). I'm banned from calling him Dad. :rofl:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    does she call your wife mamacita

ReputationRep:
    Buy her an icecream.

(Original post by Pikachū)
    does she call your wife mamacita
    FFS :rofl: not this

ReputationRep:
    by this age she should really be calling you Pater

ReputationRep:
    Well, tbh I always used to wonder about this too, bc my siblings and I address our parents as Mummy and Daddy (oldest is 17), and nobody else seems to do it... but one time, I heard a PhD student referring to his "daddy", so I figured that it's probably just that with some people, the title sticks. I just can't imagine calling my father "Dad" to his face XP
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    Buy her an icecream.

FFS :rofl: not this
    ay papi 😩😩😩

ReputationRep:
    I'm almost 16 and i still call my dad daddy 😂 im so used to it that I'd it feels so strange to use dad.

I mean if that's what she's been doing all her life then just let her, unless you really don't want her to then just say

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    "Daddy."

ReputationRep:
    On a scale of 0-10 on the clickbait epicness scale, 0 being blindingly obvious and 10/10 being WoodyMKC-esque, I give this a 7!

ReputationRep:
    I've heard far older girls refer to parents as mummy/daddy

ReputationRep:
    Clickbait.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think a girl calling their father "daddy" is seen as a problem, I doubt any kids would bully them. If they were a boy though, you probably should ween them off that name or just do it behind closed doors XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darren A)
    My 12 year old daughter is turning 13 soon and she's still calling me daddy. I just want advice from anyone here who is a parent and has children of this age calling them this. It doesn't bother me too much but I am curious as to what age they stop doing that and say mum or dad for example. Thanks!
    lmao- I'm 18 turning 19 and I still call my parents mommy and daddy ( not when talking to my friends/others about them Lol) . I don't think it's something I'll grow out of tbh. I would like to think it will happen naturally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WannaBMedStudent)
    lmao- I'm 18 turning 19 and I still call my parents mommy and daddy ( not when talking to my friends/others about them Lol) . I don't think it's something I'll grow out of tbh. I would like to think it will happen naturally
    Oh I see, thank you for your perpsective!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.