The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Basically, it is down to biology and psychology.

A male has a far longer reproductive span, throughout that reproductive period males will seek out women that look like the most suitable mothers - its unconscious. You may not want kids you are programmed that way.
Speed dating tests have repeatedly proved it, has to do with hip/waist ratio and various indicators of good health and youth. Men also tend to be drawn to women with longer hair, larger breasts and a healthy weight because these are indicators of fertility too.

Women have a fixed reproductive span and unconsciously look for different qualities in a mate. They seek out someone who looks like a good provider and protector for the forthcoming infant - In terms of societal contributions today, a man that can provide is often one that has money, and this becomes something that women are attracted to, although this was not always the case in our evolutionary history; not many young men have achieved a position where they are earning a substantial income.
Original post by Michiyo

(On a side note, I find it a bit creepy that a guy who finished university would date a girl who is maybe in her last year of A-levels or barely starting university... Of course, that ends up not mattering as you get older, but at that point in time, it feels more relevant as you would be in different stages of life.)

What would you say about a 17 year old female and a 28 year old male? Is it likely that she is just being groomed?
Original post by CleverSquirrel
I think it's because most girls- not all, want more mature guys? Generally older guys are more mature, understanding, hence girls look for that kind of security ect,
Though it depends from person to person, that's just in general. You can get some women who are into younger guys....it depends on the person imo

I personally will go for guys older than me :yep:

So it's the girls doing it you say? Or younger guys tend to **** around more? (I dont :P)

Original post by hezzlington
will you go for a guy that's mature but happens to be younger

This is a good point, maturity is not always correlated w age

Original post by Michiyo
Due to the stereotype that men's 'bodily urges' will lead to them always trying to seek a younger, fitter female. Also because of the mentality 'Get them young and attractive while you still can because they will not want you anymore when you will be older unless you are rich'.

Of course that is BS with just a little basis in biology, but who cares as long as you love each other? :h:

(On a side note, I find it a bit creepy that a guy who finished university would date a girl who is maybe in her last year of A-levels or barely starting university... Of course, that ends up not mattering as you get older, but at that point in time, it feels more relevant as you would be in different stages of life.)

Yeah thats what my friends were suggesting. I thought it was weird too, uni makes a massive difference

And plenty of women in their late 20's, 30s, whatever whom I find ****ing hot even though I'm younger than them :rofl: just look at celebs

Original post by TorpidPhil
It isn't ******** as the above poster says.

Women age faster and men do care more about how their partner looks than women.

Of course, men also tend to mature a bit slower, especially around the 18-21 mark. I feel most 18 year girls are as mature as most 21 year old guys I know. Once they both hit 22 though it's roughly the same, until they get to the point where they have an actual career rather than just a temporary job and start living alone for a long time managing all their finances away from uni and home, so that's like... 26ish?

Now what I don't know is if women get around to that before men. I doubt they do tbh. So after 25 I don't think it matters other than the fact that generally a guy at 25 will look better than a woman at 25.

Are you actually friends with many women/men post uni? Plenty of female graduates from my uni (Durham) who were on par with the guys. Most people I know got their graduate jobs within a couple of years of graduating never mind gender.

You're talking out of your ass tbh :rofl:

Original post by Hydeman
The fabled maturity gap, I'd say. The idea is that men mature a lot slower than women so a man dating a woman of the same age as him or older would be a constant drag on the woman...

Yea you hear that constantly, that guys grow up faster. We also die sooner tho so.. :ninja:

Original post by Spheniscidae2039
Your friends are weird. Preferring younger women themselves is one thing, but why care who other men date? Do they want more competition?

Also lol that people say women have higher standards when men in their 30s expect to date women a decade younger.

Yea, it's mostly my friends from my workplace a bit older, not the ones I knew at uni who are the same age as me.

TBH many of the guys I know in their 30's who chase 20somethings are creeps, pretty manipulative and trying to push the girls into going out with them or sex. At first Id have said, age is just a number but the guys are down right taking advantage.

Their looks.

You know what I meant my dear pedant :wink:

A few wrinkles aren't as big of a deal on a man. Nor is him gaining a bit of a belly. It's just how it is. A male's aesthetic value doesn't come from being super duper lean or being absolutely spotlessly pretty.

Strong username to post.

Are you one of those fat dudes who thinks women will suddenly be chasing him at 30 lol? Its always the non aesthetic guys who think looks dont matter so much for us. Get lean and in shape like the rest of us, it isnt rocket science :rofl:
Original post by MyTwistedWorld

Are you actually friends with many women/men post uni? Plenty of female graduates from my uni (Durham) who were on par with the guys. Most people I know got their graduate jobs within a couple of years of graduating never mind gender.

You're talking out of your ass tbh :rofl:

I like how you assumed I was saying that males were superior. Actually my suggestion was that females are superior still at that age, OR, perhaps they level out with males. Not that males were superior, definitely not. Especially when I'm talking about collective males vs females, no specifically graduates, but also the beer-guzzling-football masses too.

Anyway, I don't know the answer to the question as I am not at all friends with many 22-25 year olds, no.
Original post by MyTwistedWorld

Strong username to post.

Are you one of those fat dudes who thinks women will suddenly be chasing him at 30 lol? Its always the non aesthetic guys who think looks dont matter so much for us. Get lean and in shape like the rest of us, it isnt rocket science :rofl:

What?

Women never chase. Regardless of age. No, you're missing the point entirely kiddo. I didn't say aesthetics are not important. I said the aesthetics are different. Looking rough and tough is easier when you are 30 as a male than looking pretty at 30 as a female is.

You don't need to be lean though. Most girls around 25+ aren't really into six-packs. I feel like they'd rather a bigger guy who is slightly less lean, you know, rugby player kinda guy, than some totally shredded swimmer like body.

But yeah I definitely wasn't suggesting women like unfit, unkept, fat guys lol. I'm not fat dude...
What?

Women never chase. Regardless of age. No, you're missing the point entirely kiddo. I didn't say aesthetics are not important. I said the aesthetics are different. Looking rough and tough is easier when you are 30 as a male than looking pretty at 30 as a female is.

You don't need to be lean though. Most girls around 25+ aren't really into six-packs. I feel like they'd rather a bigger guy who is slightly less lean, you know, rugby player kinda guy, than some totally shredded swimmer like body.

But yeah I definitely wasn't suggesting women like unfit, unkept, fat guys lol. I'm not fat dude...

Not so sure I agree with you here to be honest.... I've had a couple of girls chase me before and openly ask me out on dates.
I am dating a younger girl (half a year younger- both 20 at this moment in time) and I will openly admit she is more mature, so like others are saying, that may be something to do with it.
Original post by Anonymous
What would you say about a 17 year old female and a 28 year old male? Is it likely that she is just being groomed?

Hell yes. At that age, the 28-year-old should be thinking of marrying their long-term significant other while the 17-year-old has other things to worry about (A-levels, getting their first part-time job, etc). It does not really mix since they are at too different points in life. Any 28-year-old who would date a 17-year-old sounds very desperate and/or manipulative to me.

To exemplify, my then 18 years old sister started dating a 26-year-old in December 2015. Long story short, this guy turned out to be a creepy, manipulative loser with a victim complex who cannot get over a break-up. My sister broke up with him in October last year, him aged 27 and her 18 or barely 19. The reason? A lot of unsettling things happened and he was becoming so obsessed and weird in a terrible way that my father and I both advised my sister to do so since we were afraid this obsession of his will lead to him trying to kill her or something. Of course she did not take our advice at first, but more things happened and she soon realised we had a very good point (not to mention she did not love him anymore), so they broke up. He had been speaking about marrying her since April, but my sister, being an 18-year-old with a brain, knew that she was not ready for marriage and were she to get married so young, the marriage was likely to fail.

Instead of taking a break-up like a normal person, he started showering her with expensive gifts (a phone, the most expensive sweets he could find, etc) in hopes that she will take him back. Keep in mind this guy barely makes any money, which shows how desperate he is. This occurred right after they broke up and in December (two months after the break-up). It did not work. Since the break-up, he STILL acts like he and my sister are together and calls/messages my sister almost everyday in tears with his usual pity talk about 'the moments they spent together', how he 'loves' her, and other BS. He gets mad whenever she does not tell him who she goes out with and does not invite him, even though he has no right to that. It has been three-four months since they broke up (after at least 5 months of having a shaky relationship) and he still cannot get it through his thick skull that they are not together anymore and that they will never be together again. We are now very worried about what he might do, so I pray my sister limits any contact with him so much that she gets out of the danger zone.

Another example would be what occurred to my 16 years old friend. She started dating a guy who was like 22-23 or so. They broke up because he took her to a hotel and tried to rape her when she refused to have sex with him.

Moral of the stories: If you are younger than 19 and someone over 21 'wants to get to know you better', run in the other direction fast. There is a reason why they are single and why they would not mind being with someone under 19, and chances are it is not a good reason. I am not saying it is completely impossible for such a relationship to succeed (I do know of a couple that started dating when the girl was 17 and the man was in his early twenties - 24, I think? - who ended up getting married and having a kid, albeit they divorced shortly afterwards and their kid is now a drug addict), but it is so unlikely it is not worth a shot.

In conclusion, I cannot tell for sure why that 28-year-old would want to be with the 17-year-old, but I know it is not good in most cases. I assume you are the 17-year-old, so my best advice for you is to date someone your own age. I am 18 and not even I would date a 28-year-old.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by libbysmum
Women have a fixed reproductive span and unconsciously look for different qualities in a mate. They seek out someone who looks like a good provider and protector for the forthcoming infant - In terms of societal contributions today, a man that can provide is often one that has money, and this becomes something that women are attracted to, although this was not always the case in our evolutionary history; not many young men have achieved a position where they are earning a substantial income.

Nah https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_attractiveness#Male_physical_attractiveness
Original post by hezzlington
Guys want mature women as well?

This. It goes both ways.

Latest

Trending

Trending