The Student Room Group

How previous study affects you by SLC

Do you have previous study and wondering how this will affect what student finance you can get? Ask our expert, Alison.

Alison has been working as a customer advisor for Student Finance England since last year and is able to answer all types of queries.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Wednesday 8 February.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Hello,
I finished two years of pharmacy degree in another country and I want to study pharmacy here. The uni can only accept me from the first year. Is that going to affect my application for a loan or how much can I get?
thank you very much 😊
Original post by Student Money Week 2017
Do you have previous study and wondering how this will affect what student finance you can get? Ask our expert, Alison.

Alison has been working as a customer advisor for Student Finance England since last year and is able to answer all types of queries.

Hello I wondered if anyone could help. in 2013/14 I studied one year of a BA Education degree, but due to bullying, for my second year of my BA Education I transferred to another uni entering into the second year. (2014/2015 year)but never attended because of mental health. I applied and was granted CPR for 2014/2015 academic year. I'm now at a college in my second year of a Foundation Degree, and wondered if anybody knew if I could apply and get funding for a BA top-up degree course to turn my foundation degree into a bachelors degree, or if I've used all my funding allowance? Thank you :smile:
I started adult nursing in march 2012 and withdrew in ether 2014 or early jan 2015, I received a reduced loan alongside my nhs bursary how will this affect another adult nursing degree i hope to do in Sept 2017. Will i still get full funding from student finance?
Reply 4
Hi,
I started an undergraduate degree in 1998. I completed the first year took the second year, couldn't sit the exams, repeated the 2nd year and dropped out soon after. The whole of this time I had a mental health problem which is the reason I had to repeat and then drop out. I then enrolled on a different undergraduate degree in 2001 but barely lasted a couple of months because of the same health issues. It has been over 15 years since then and I find myself in a very strong position now and would very much like to study for an undergraduate degree later this year is there any way that I could still be eligible for a tuition fee loan to cover it.
Thank you very much for any advice.
Reply 5

Here's a letter that I wrote to SFE about my enquiry (and not receiving a coherent response). It's long as I have quite a unique set of mitigating circumstances. Please respond accordingly:

I am writing this letter for the fourth time in 3 years. So I am going to give the basics of what happened, why I qualify for mitigating circumstances, and therefore why I should receive additional years of Student Finance. I attended University of Sheffield in 2011. I completed my first year whilst receiving a Tuition Fee of £3000 and a Maintenance Loan & Grant amounting to around £6000. This was the same for the second year, however I did not complete my second semester of my second year as my studies were interrupted due to illness, but still went on to receive full finance. My illness left me in a coma for 40 days, and a further hospitalisation for 7 months. I could not stop my finance for two reasons; I had contractual obligations with a friend for our accommodation and still had to fulfil it, and since I was in hospital (and still suffering from amnesia), I didn’t have the means to inform SFE. So I was paid two years worth of finance there. After taking a hiatus, I decided to study again, but at a institution close to home as my disabilities wouldn’t have let me live on my own. I also had amnesia so I had to restart my academia from the beginning, hence I took the option to study engineering with a foundation year at the University of Manchester. Unfortunately, I didn’t meet the required module grades to progress onto the next year. I received a £9000 tuition fee loan for this year, meaning I have received a total of 3 years worth of loans. The reasons for my unsuccessful result at Manchester were mostly because of my disabilities and struggling to assimilate to a disabled students life. Hence I took another year out to recuperate and weigh-up my options. I am hoping to study this September at another institution but I will have to move away from home, meaning I will require a maintenance loan too. I will however be starting from year one meaning I will be picking up from where I left off in Manchester, so no more additional years are required here. I will now be requiring 3 or 4 years worth of loans again, depending on which institution I get accepted into. So this means a total of 6 or 7 years of finance. This exceeds the rules set forth by Student Finance, but I truly believe I have genuine mitigating circumstances for this. I have attached a letter from my neuro-physiotherapist as evidence of my illness and disabilities. I have sent this before, but I’ll send it again to reinforce the idea that I have genuine mitigating circumstances due to my amnesia and the disabling effects of my illness and require additional years to my finance.
Reply 6
Hi
I studied at MMU for 3 months before having to leave in 2009. I'm going to Salford uni in sept 2017 and wondering how this will affect me applying for student finance this time?
Reply 7

Hi I have already a ba hons degree in textile design but after ten years out and having a family wish to retrain for a different career and and need another ba hons in education studies. I understand I will have to find the tuition fees myself which is fine but would I qualify for any maintenance loan that would help me out with travelling expenses etc kind regards.
Original post by nuha7
Hello,
I finished two years of pharmacy degree in another country and I want to study pharmacy here. The uni can only accept me from the first year. Is that going to affect my application for a loan or how much can I get?
thank you very much 😊

Hi, all previous study (from anywhere in the world) is taken into consideration and can affect your entitlement.

It will depend on whether you studied full-time or part-time and if you received a qualification.

The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study.

The calculation based on your new course being 3 years would be 3 + 1 = 4 2 = 2 years of full funding entitlement.

Remaining years of entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. This means if the remaining entitlement for a 3 year course is 2 years, then you would receive full funding in years 2 and 3 and would still be eligible to receive a means tested Maintenance Loan for year 1.

I would advise you to call Student Finance England on 0300 100 0607 for further clarification on your particular circumstances.
Reply 9
Original post by Alison Webster
Hi, all previous study (from anywhere in the world) is taken into consideration and can affect your entitlement.

It will depend on whether you studied full-time or part-time and if you received a qualification.

The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study.

The calculation based on your new course being 3 years would be 3 + 1 = 4 2 = 2 years of full funding entitlement.

Remaining years of entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. This means if the remaining entitlement for a 3 year course is 2 years, then you would receive full funding in years 2 and 3 and would still be eligible to receive a means tested Maintenance Loan for year 1.

I would advise you to call Student Finance England on 0300 100 0607 for further clarification on your particular circumstances.

is that always the case, regardless the reasons of leaving the course or whether it was free or not, or are there any exceptions?
the course was full-time and free and I didn't get the degree
thank you very much for your reply
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lemonade1235
Hello I wondered if anyone could help. in 2013/14 I studied one year of a BA Education degree, but due to bullying, for my second year of my BA Education I transferred to another uni entering into the second year. (2014/2015 year)but never attended because of mental health. I applied and was granted CPR for 2014/2015 academic year. I'm now at a college in my second year of a Foundation Degree, and wondered if anybody knew if I could apply and get funding for a BA top-up degree course to turn my foundation degree into a bachelors degree, or if I've used all my funding allowance? Thank you :smile:

Hi, based on the information you have provided it implies that you have 1 year of previous study.

If this is correct and you are going on to a 1 year top up course then you will have 1 year of funding available.

The calculation is 1 + 1 = 2 - 1year of previous study = 1 year of full funding remaining.
Original post by nelfran29
I started adult nursing in march 2012 and withdrew in ether 2014 or early jan 2015, I received a reduced loan alongside my nhs bursary how will this affect another adult nursing degree i hope to do in Sept 2017. Will i still get full funding from student finance?

Hi, as from 2017/18 academic year the funding for NHS courses is changing, they will no longer attract an NHS bursary and students will instead receive regular Student Finance England support, a tuition fee loan and a means tested maintenance loan.

As designated NHS courses are classed as exceptions, previous study will not be taken into account.
Reply 12
my course was full-time and free. I had to leave for safety reasons and didn't get the degree. Would the case be the same or are there any exceptions? Thank you
Original post by Sg13
Hi,
I started an undergraduate degree in 1998. I completed the first year took the second year, couldn't sit the exams, repeated the 2nd year and dropped out soon after. The whole of this time I had a mental health problem which is the reason I had to repeat and then drop out. I then enrolled on a different undergraduate degree in 2001 but barely lasted a couple of months because of the same health issues. It has been over 15 years since then and I find myself in a very strong position now and would very much like to study for an undergraduate degree later this year is there any way that I could still be eligible for a tuition fee loan to cover it.
Thank you very much for any advice.

Hi, based on the information you have provided it implies that you have 4 years of previous study.

If this is correct and you are starting in year 1 of a 3 year course then you have 0 years of funding available.

The calculation is 3 + 1 = 4 4 years of previous study = 0 years of full funding remaining.

If you have, as indicated, Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) for repeating a year of study, or suspending/withdrawing from your course/courses, you can apply for CPR.

The student would need to send a letter to Student Finance England detailing their CPR along with any evidence of their mitigating circumstances.

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence -

is signed and dated;

confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and

when this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

Medical evidence from a GP

Letter from HEP

Letter from Social Services

Letter from clergy or professional person

The above list is not exhaustive and any evidence that can support your claim should be sent to us for consideration.
Original post by nic26
Hi
I studied at MMU for 3 months before having to leave in 2009. I'm going to Salford uni in sept 2017 and wondering how this will affect me applying for student finance this time?

Hi, based on the information you have provided it implies that you have 1 year of previous study.

If this is correct and you are starting in year 1 of a 3 year course then you have 3 years of funding available.

The calculation is 3 + 1 = 4 1 years of previous study = 3 years of full funding remaining.
Original post by Sazb1878
Hi I have already a ba hons degree in textile design but after ten years out and having a family wish to retrain for a different career and and need another ba hons in education studies. I understand I will have to find the tuition fees myself which is fine but would I qualify for any maintenance loan that would help me out with travelling expenses etc kind regards.

Hi, as you hold an equivalent level qualification there would be no funding available from Student Finance England, unless it was a QTS or one of the other exceptions subjects.

For further details I would advise you contact Student Finance England for further information 0300 100 0607.
We've run out of time I'm afraid, Alison didn't manage to answer all our questions but I'll post her replies as soon as possible.

We're half way through Student Money Week, but we still have loads of live webchats tomorrow and Friday, and daily surgeries that run for the rest of the week. Have a look at our calendar to see what else is on.
Original post by hali26
Here's a letter that I wrote to SFE about my enquiry (and not receiving a coherent response). It's long as I have quite a unique set of mitigating circumstances. Please respond accordingly:

I am writing this letter for the fourth time in 3 years. So I am going to give the basics of what happened, why I qualify for mitigating circumstances, and therefore why I should receive additional years of Student Finance. I attended University of Sheffield in 2011. I completed my first year whilst receiving a Tuition Fee of £3000 and a Maintenance Loan & Grant amounting to around £6000. This was the same for the second year, however I did not complete my second semester of my second year as my studies were interrupted due to illness, but still went on to receive full finance. My illness left me in a coma for 40 days, and a further hospitalisation for 7 months. I could not stop my finance for two reasons; I had contractual obligations with a friend for our accommodation and still had to fulfil it, and since I was in hospital (and still suffering from amnesia), I didn’t have the means to inform SFE. So I was paid two years worth of finance there. After taking a hiatus, I decided to study again, but at a institution close to home as my disabilities wouldn’t have let me live on my own. I also had amnesia so I had to restart my academia from the beginning, hence I took the option to study engineering with a foundation year at the University of Manchester. Unfortunately, I didn’t meet the required module grades to progress onto the next year. I received a £9000 tuition fee loan for this year, meaning I have received a total of 3 years worth of loans. The reasons for my unsuccessful result at Manchester were mostly because of my disabilities and struggling to assimilate to a disabled students life. Hence I took another year out to recuperate and weigh-up my options. I am hoping to study this September at another institution but I will have to move away from home, meaning I will require a maintenance loan too. I will however be starting from year one meaning I will be picking up from where I left off in Manchester, so no more additional years are required here. I will now be requiring 3 or 4 years worth of loans again, depending on which institution I get accepted into. So this means a total of 6 or 7 years of finance. This exceeds the rules set forth by Student Finance, but I truly believe I have genuine mitigating circumstances for this. I have attached a letter from my neuro-physiotherapist as evidence of my illness and disabilities. I have sent this before, but I’ll send it again to reinforce the idea that I have genuine mitigating circumstances due to my amnesia and the disabling effects of my illness and require additional years to my finance.

Here's your answer from Alison -

Generally speaking, if you have compelling personal reasons, like illness or bereavement, you can provide us evidence of this and you’ll be able to get an additional year of funding.

It seems like you have left your course due to illness twice, so you would have to provide evidence covering both of these times.

You’re situation is complicated and as I can’t access your account to see what you’ve already sent us, it might be a good idea for you to call Student Finance England (0300 100 0607) so we can discuss the details with you.

Latest

Trending

Trending