The Student Room Group

Scared to grow up

I'm 18. Recently I've been deeping my life a lot and it makes me feel like ****.

I have a good set of friends who I spend a lot of time with. I usually chill with them everyday. I have a job. I have a loving family. So really I don't have any reason to be depressed all the time but I am.

I just can't stop thinking about my future. The fact that I will only have a few more years left with my friends and I will probably lose contact with them. The thought of growing older and being bored with life. Hell, if I'm stuck at home even for one day I get bored to death. All I want to do is go out with my mates every night.

I just keep thinking my life is going to get ****. All my mates will be living their lives in their 20s and I'll still be stuck here with my parents (who are on benefits as it is) with a *****y job and no friends.

I'm probably just overthinking everything but I've been so close to bursting out into tears a couple of times which is strange because I NEVER cry.

One thing I will say is that I do smoke a lot of weed. I've been smoking it on and off for about 2 years now but recently I've been smoking it every day, and these thoughts have only recently come into my head when I've started smoking more.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by uplight99123
I'm 18. Recently I've been deeping my life a lot and it makes me feel like ****.

I have a good set of friends who I spend a lot of time with. I usually chill with them everyday. I have a job. I have a loving family. So really I don't have any reason to be depressed all the time but I am.

I just can't stop thinking about my future. The fact that I will only have a few more years left with my friends and I will probably lose contact with them. The thought of growing older and being bored with life. Hell, if I'm stuck at home even for one day I get bored to death. All I want to do is go out with my mates every night.

I just keep thinking my life is going to get ****. All my mates will be living their lives in their 20s and I'll still be stuck here with my parents (who are on benefits as it is) with a *****y job and no friends.

I'm probably just overthinking everything but I've been so close to bursting out into tears a couple of times which is strange because I NEVER cry.

One thing I will say is that I do smoke a lot of weed. I've been smoking it on and off for about 2 years now but recently I've been smoking it every day, and these thoughts have only recently come into my head when I've started smoking more.

Any advice would be appreciated.

You just have to get used to it I guess. Everyone will have to grow up whether we like it or not C'est la vie mon ami. I have undergone lot of problems in my life, but I am still here and grateful to add another year into my life. Life does not have to be exciting all the time you know. Have you started working op, I think when you start working, you will get used to it. Also, you won't have friends all the time, you were born alone, so you need to enjoy your own company. Also, you need to stop smokin weed op, it's not good for your health.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't think that it's going to be the end of the trip.

You can always meet new people, make more friends and therefore have great nights out. You just need to try be proactive and join a Club or take the initiative to try meet people.

I assume you wont be going to University?
Reply 3
It's a dangerous mindset, I was stuck in it for years dwelling on things I missed out on thinking how do build myself when I missed out on such crucial stages in life… then I realised time was passing by, the world doesn't wait for you, it goes on and you miss out all you can do is catch up with it. You have plenty to do, save up and get a car/licence, work towards getting that dream job, pursue some hobbies, enjoy time with your friends because the more time you spend feeling down, the more time you waste. You're gonna be alone sometimes, I have friends and I'm around them a lot but I've become religious with my time alone, without it I can't function. I'm not gonna be totally anti weed here but things like that if done, should be done occasionally if not never… you'll enjoy life more, you'll feel happier and you'll definitely feel more motivated which I'm guessing is the prime suspect here, lack of motivation to make a change and get on with life… we all go through it as some point and the weed probably isn't helping with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending