The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Biology (7402) Exam Thread - June 12th, June 20th and June 26th

OFFICIAL AQA A-LEVEL BIOLOGY 7402 EXAM THREAD 2017

How is revision going? How are you finding the step up to A2 from AS content?
Use this thread to help each other!

(Note: This is for the A-Level (those in Year 13), not the Year 12 AS exams)

Exam Dates

Paper 1 (AS content) - June 12th 2017 (PM)

Paper 2 (A2 content) - June 20th 2017 (AM)

Paper 3 (AS+A2) - June 26th 2017 (AM)

Link to Specification: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/biology/specifications/AQA-7401-7402-SP-2015.PDF

Revision Resources

If you have any useful resources please let me know and I can add it here!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Posted this at a non-peak time when most are not active here. So, (bump)

Anyone know some good resources for the osmoregulation stuff for the new spec?
Reply 2
I think the step up is actually ok, I find Year 13 content alright so far. I'm just not a fan of having to still revise AS on top of A2. That's not fun at all.

I also can't do the exams at all, when I got the marks back for my AS papers last year I scraped a B and got 0 on so many questions. I hope 60% is an A* or something this year.
I really don't like the new spec but hey, what can you do apart from pray for low grade boundaries? I'm gonna try aiming for an A/A* :smile:

Edit: if you read this I've probably got a U so don't believe me, not with these excuses for biology papers anyways
(edited 6 years ago)
Does anyone know what topics are in the previous spec that are not in this spec all i know is ORS and lactose intolerance arent in ours
Reply 4
Original post by JezDayy
I think the step up is actually ok, I find Year 13 content alright so far. I'm just not a fan of having to still revise AS on top of A2. That's not fun at all.

I also can't do the exams at all, when I got the marks back for my AS papers last year I scraped a B and got 0 on so many questions. I hope 60% is an A* or something this year.
I really don't like the new spec but hey, what can you do apart from pray for low grade boundaries? I'm gonna try aiming for an A/A* :smile:

Same I actually like this years content (some of it). And SAME - man I feel stressed but hey, gotta be done. :/

I scraped an A, not as high of an overall mark as I'd have hoped BUT - we can do this! Just rinse past papers. I really need to finish revising content so I can focus on this. It's so so useful.
Reply 5
Original post by Naveen1412
Does anyone know what topics are in the previous spec that are not in this spec all i know is ORS and lactose intolerance arent in ours

Not off the top of my head. I sometimes get both specs up and just cross reference when I wanna revise a topic or do past papers
Helpful sites:
https://sites.google.com/view/alevelbiology/ (Loads of fill in the gaps sheets and presentations for new spec)
http://tailoredtutors.co.uk/ (has 'cheat sheets' and videos etc. all for new spec)
Snaprevise
YouTube - MrPollock Biology
Technocrat notes
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/biology-revision/a-level-aqa/

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by alldaydreaming
Helpful sites:
https://sites.google.com/view/alevelbiology/ (Loads of fill in the gaps sheets and presentations for new spec)
http://tailoredtutors.co.uk/ (has 'cheat sheets' and videos etc. all for new spec)
Snaprevise
YouTube - MrPollock Biology
Technocrat notes
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/biology-revision/a-level-aqa/

Spoiler

These are great thank you, I'll update my post tomorrow :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Zentox
Same I actually like this years content (some of it). And SAME - man I feel stressed but hey, gotta be done. :/

I scraped an A, not as high of an overall mark as I'd have hoped BUT - we can do this! Just rinse past papers. I really need to finish revising content so I can focus on this. It's so so useful.

Honestly I preferred AS, I don't like A2 biology at all and I don't like biology anymore! Just my opinion though haha.

Nicely done! I literally got 77/150 where 77 was a B!
Yeah, I'm on a good pace with revision have done lots of BIOL1 past papers, and a few BIOL4 papers. Got an A in my mock which I was really happy with!

Good luck! I'd be over the moon with an A or higher haha
Reply 9
Original post by JezDayy
Honestly I preferred AS, I don't like A2 biology at all and I don't like biology anymore! Just my opinion though haha.

Nicely done! I literally got 77/150 where 77 was a B!
Yeah, I'm on a good pace with revision have done lots of BIOL1 past papers, and a few BIOL4 papers. Got an A in my mock which I was really happy with!

Good luck! I'd be over the moon with an A or higher haha

I still have to cover so much content. The sooner the better because I really need to bash out every single paper in existence. Good luck to you too
Hi guys,
Just wondering, how is everyone planning on structuring revision and past papers in terms of AS and A2 content? Are you going to revise the topics simultaneously and do the past papers simultaneously or revise all of AS, do the past papers then revise all of A2 and then do the past papers for them? Really wish last years exams counted :s-smilie:
@Zentox Here's a link to another thread with testable revision notes https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=70439582&highlight=
Original post by #Anonymous
Hi guys,
Just wondering, how is everyone planning on structuring revision and past papers in terms of AS and A2 content? Are you going to revise the topics simultaneously and do the past papers simultaneously or revise all of AS, do the past papers then revise all of A2 and then do the past papers for them? Really wish last years exams counted :s-smilie:

Hi, personally, I'm going through each chapter then doing exam questions on it - picking the topics from the syllabus I find most difficult first. Will then be hitting old spec papers for BIOL1/2/4/5 from Easter once I've covered each topic. :smile:
Hey how is everyone's revising for alevel biology. Literally lost hope for AS I got a B but I've just done mocks and the overal grade was an E, I've really lost confidence and I don't know how to revise anymore and if I have enough time. Literally even doing way better in chemistry (working at an A/B)
Hey!

I am finding the A2 content quite difficult. I loved AS, and had no problems with that at all. However, i feel as though the second year content focuses too heavily on the biochem aspects. I wish the spec included more anatomy/physiology instead.

Also, the essays! I find those difficult, perhaps because i am a slow writer...?

Good luck with the exams everyone!
Reply 15
Original post by JNarburgh
Hey!

I am finding the A2 content quite difficult. I loved AS, and had no problems with that at all. However, i feel as though the second year content focuses too heavily on the biochem aspects. I wish the spec included more anatomy/physiology instead.

Also, the essays! I find those difficult, perhaps because i am a slow writer...?

Good luck with the exams everyone!

Have you tried getting a laptop to type instead? Timing is key in any exam
Reply 16
Original post by Crystalxo
Hey how is everyone's revising for alevel biology. Literally lost hope for AS I got a B but I've just done mocks and the overal grade was an E, I've really lost confidence and I don't know how to revise anymore and if I have enough time. Literally even doing way better in chemistry (working at an A/B)

Just make sure you understand everything and do many exam questions. Use YT whenever you need extra ways of explanation - something might just make sense this way

Bio can be weird with some of its questions :/
So how's everyone finding revision?

Any particular way we're supposed to revise for the practical style questions etc??
Reply 18
Original post by brumtown0121
So how's everyone finding revision?

Any particular way we're supposed to revise for the practical style questions etc??

There are past EMPA and ISA papers on AQA's website. Try finding one that is the same as one of the required practicals (there are some) and try them :smile:
Does anyone have any predictions for the essay ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending