The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Biology (7402) Exam Thread - June 12th, June 20th and June 26th

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sufiyan1999
Got a feeling proteins will come up as the essay. There's enough in the spec on them and I don't think I've seen a proteins essay question.

Good call... that would be a good one too as lots of different topics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
can someone help me please:
1. i know npp = gpp - r and npp is the energy avaliable for growth, reproduction and the next trophic level, but where about would atp energy come in? is it part or npp, as it isnt lost as heat during respiration but is formed..

2. for plant growth, do plants grow by forming atp from respiration and using this for growth, or by making polysacharrides from things like photosynthesis?
Original post by rosemondtan
ultrafiltration is used in the context of kidneys, not tissue fluid.

Actually it's used in BOTH. But it shouldn't matter either way! :smile:
Original post by daniiiiiii
can someone help me please:
1. i know npp = gpp - r and npp is the energy avaliable for growth, reproduction and the next trophic level, but where about would atp energy come in? is it part or npp, as it isnt lost as heat during respiration but is formed..

2. for plant growth, do plants grow by forming atp from respiration and using this for growth, or by making polysacharrides from things like photosynthesis?

1. GPP = "total quantity of chemical energy STORE in biomass". ATP isn't really stored, its an immediate energy source-it breaks down very quickly (ok its stored for like a few seconds but that doesn't really count). When it breaks down part of the energy is coupled to other cell processes (e.g Active transport) and the rest IS released as heat, so i'd argue the remainder of ATP's energy IS lost as heat.

2. Plants photosynthesise to form organic products (which can be used for growth). They also use organic products formed from photosynthesis in respiration to produce ATP which is used for cell division etc. so growth, I would say, involves both processes. :smile:
Hey all,

A good resource for those of you wanting 'predictions' of what might come up on the next two papers is this document;

http://www.aqa.org.uk/resources/science/as-and-a-level/biology-7401-7402/plan/summary-of-changes.

It outlines the changes made to the spec, and it's probably a safe bet to say that AQA are likely to ask questions on brand new content, just so they can justify putting it into the spec. Of course, that's not to say we should only revise what's in that document, but maybe make sure you know everything there in enough detail. Hopefully we don't get any more nasty surprises 😭

Good luck all! :smile:
Original post by WC7867
Hey all,

A good resource for those of you wanting 'predictions' of what might come up on the next two papers is this document;

http://www.aqa.org.uk/resources/science/as-and-a-level/biology-7401-7402/plan/summary-of-changes.

It outlines the changes made to the spec, and it's probably a safe bet to say that AQA are likely to ask questions on brand new content, just so they can justify putting it into the spec. Of course, that's not to say we should only revise what's in that document, but maybe make sure you know everything there in enough detail. Hopefully we don't get any more nasty surprises 😭

Good luck all! :smile:

Cheers, that's a good idea :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by got_twd
Cheers, that's a good idea :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries!
also npp is the chemical energy stored after respiration, and is avaliable for reproduction and growth. does this mean chemical energy in glucose is used for reproduction? (im guessing that glucose can be used for growth because of new organic molecules..but i might be wrong so someone pleaase help)
Original post by Rager6amer
1. GPP = "total quantity of chemical energy STORE in biomass". ATP isn't really stored, its an immediate energy source-it breaks down very quickly (ok its stored for like a few seconds but that doesn't really count). When it breaks down part of the energy is coupled to other cell processes (e.g Active transport) and the rest IS released as heat, so i'd argue the remainder of ATP's energy IS lost as heat.

2. Plants photosynthesise to form organic products (which can be used for growth). They also use organic products formed from photosynthesis in respiration to produce ATP which is used for cell division etc. so growth, I would say, involves both processes. :smile:

thanks, when it says npp is for growth, does that mean chemical energy in glucose for growth ie making new organic molecules? because the only other growth is from atp from respiration which as you say isnt stored!
also, how is npp used for reproduction? is that again glucose being used for reproduction as its a chemical energy store?
Original post by got_twd
Good call... that would be a good one too as lots of different topics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plus very little of proteins on paper 1 I can't even remember if proteins were involved in paper one at all??
Original post by sufiyan1999
Plus very little of proteins on paper 1 I can't even remember if proteins were involved in paper one at all??

No I think you're right! Not proteins specifically anyway. I can see it now: 'Write an essay on the importance of proteins in living organisms'

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are the topic paragraphs (e.g. genetics and ecology) we are supposed to include in each essay to make sure we cover all content?
does anyone know if we need to know about photosystems??
Original post by pandasandpens

yh so ps2 absorbs light frequency of 700nm and ps1 is 680nm and ps2 and ps1 involved in cyclic light dependent but only ps1 in non cyclic and in non cyclic an electron acceptor is also used
Original post by Enderbat1999
yh so ps2 absorbs light frequency of 700nm and ps1 is 680nm and ps2 and ps1 involved in cyclic light dependent but only ps1 in non cyclic and in non cyclic an electron acceptor is also used

Other way around :smile:
Original post by pandasandpens

No. This is not in the specification and you will not be tested on it.
Reply 1576
do we need to know about replica plating in detail?
Original post by ali99
do we need to know about replica plating in detail?

Good question. As far as I can tell all you need to know is, You want to check gene A has been inserted into the middle of gene B, so you test to see if bacteria don't have a working gene B resistance to an antibiotic. Since you want to do this without killing them, you "do replica plating" which "uses the loss of the resistance gene B". If they've lost gene B it means they've taken up gene A. I don't think you need to know the specifics, though it couldn't hurt to look over them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Guys I'm freaking out. Have any of you looked at the specimen paper 2 on their website? The markscheme doesn't even make sense for some of them. Like, the second question, a) a more logical answer would be that 20C replicates the environment the seed would normally be in and b) 20C is nto the optimal temperature for growth. Like, what's even the point o ftrying to think when the answers don't even make logical sense?
Original post by EdwardG
Guys I'm freaking out. Have any of you looked at the specimen paper 2 on their website? The markscheme doesn't even make sense for some of them. Like, the second question, a) a more logical answer would be that 20C replicates the environment the seed would normally be in and b) 20C is nto the optimal temperature for growth. Like, what's even the point o ftrying to think when the answers don't even make logical sense?

Every AQA exam I've ever taken, before I've even opened the question paper, I've mentally written off 15-20% of the marks as unattainable due to mark scheme ******** and dependence on blind luck. Like an AQA tax off the top of what you actually know. You just have to concentrate on getting as much as possible out of the other 80%. Everyone is sitting the same paper, so if you've revised enough the ******** should be balanced out for everyone. hopefully...
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending