The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Biology (7402) Exam Thread - June 12th, June 20th and June 26th

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rager6amer
Agreed! I honestly can't understand how stupid the mark scheme can be sometimes in terms of how precise or rigid the answer must be and you're like "no one is EVER going to think to say this unless you've asked the exact same question before?!"
Like you say its just given that you're going to lost some marks just due to how stupidly pedantic they are, but i just tend to chuck a bunch of answers at them and hope that one of them is what they're looking for :P

This is neither helpful nor true. If the mark scheme wasn't rigorous, you'd be the first one to point the finger and start shouting the odds about how 'subjective' the marking is....

Mark schemes are rigorous for a reason - they enable fair and consistent marking against an agreed set of acceptable answers.
Original post by Reality Check
This is neither helpful nor true. If the mark scheme wasn't rigorous, you'd be the first one to point the finger and start shouting the odds about how 'subjective' the marking is....

Mark schemes are rigorous for a reason - they enable fair and consistent marking against an agreed set of acceptable answers.

I wasn't complaining. Just pointing out there is no advantage to dwelling on the stress generated by missing marks even though you knew the answer and understand the science, which happens all the time in biology.
Original post by Lookatmyeggs
I wasn't complaining. Just pointing out there is no advantage to dwelling on the stress generated by missing marks even though you knew the answer, which happens all the time in biology.

:smile: Fair enough - I agree with you on this.
Reply 1603
Don't forget the ATP that's made via substrate-level phosphorylation during glycolysis - you've only mentioned the NADH + H+ and 2 x pyruvate here.

*basically purpose is to still supply ATP but only 2ATP molecules which is very low compared to anaerobic respiration * I did say that here just not explicitly, 2ATP produced from glycolysis (net gain). Pyruvate and red NAD doesn't make ATP
Original post by eza11
*basically purpose is to still supply ATP but only 2ATP molecules which is very low compared to anaerobic respiration * I did say that here just not explicitly, 2ATP produced from glycolysis (net gain). Pyruvate and red NAD doesn't make ATP

I don't really understand what you've written here, but are you suggesting that pyruvate and NADH doesn't go on to produce ATP period, or just via glycolysis?
Reply 1605
I don't really understand what you've written here, but are you suggesting that pyruvate and NADH doesn't go on to produce ATP period, or just via glycolysis?

in anaerobic respiration, the only ATP produced is from glycolysis- obviously the whole point in making lactate or ethanol and CO2... is to oxidise the NAD the the NAD is available again for glycolysis- so ATP can be generated over and over- if the red NAD wasn't oxidised, there would be a limited supply of NAD so a limited amount of glycolysis and so ATP
Original post by eza11
in anaerobic respiration, the only ATP produced is from glycolysis- obviously the whole point in making lactate or ethanol and CO2... is to oxidise the NAD the the NAD is available again for glycolysis- so ATP can be generated over and over- if the red NAD wasn't oxidised, there would be a limited supply of NAD so a limited amount of glycolysis and so ATP

Yes, this is mainly true, but lactate is a substrate for ATP production itself via the Cori cycle which generates glucose which can then be fermented into lactate again via anaerobic respiration. What you've written here is mainly correct, though and you've correctly identified the need to regenerate NAD+.
What practicals can we get asked about in paper 2?
do we need to know about cyclic photophosphorylation ?
Original post by eza11
this is all just from my head, so don't quote me, but basically-

anaerobic = not enough o2
so glycolysis can happen but ONLY glycolysis
glycolysis produces 2x pyruvate molecules and 2x reduced NAD

IN ANIMALS; lactate is produced
so; pyruvate + red NAD ---> lactate + oxi NAD

IN PLANTS/YEAST;
pyruvate + red NAD --> CO2 + ethanol

basically purpose is to still supply ATP but only 2ATP molecules which is very low compared to anaerobic respiration
it is never one or the other, if there is low O2 then anaerobic resp will happen with a bit of aerobic respiration

it is good because it supplies some ATP but lactate builds up in muscles and causes muscle fatigue= bad

redNAD needs to be converted back to oxi NAD so it can be reused in glycolysis in the cytoplasm of cells

hope this makes sense- this is the basics and probably the only stuff you could get asked on it :wink:

yess makes perfect sense, thanks so much
during ultrafiltration what different layers does the glomerular filtrate pass through to reach the proximal convoluted tubule ? my class notes say different things to my text book , so confused
Original post by jblogs_8265
during ultrafiltration what different layers does the glomerular filtrate pass through to reach the proximal convoluted tubule ? my class notes say different things to my text book , so confused

endothelial cell, basement membrane, and the podocytes
Reply 1612
Original post by jblogs_8265

okay so i learnt,

1)
Capillary wall (think this is endothelium) this has gaps in for small molecules (ions, urea, amino acids and water) to get through

2)
Basement membrane, which again has small gaps in, large proteins and red blood cells cant get out

3) Podocytes wrap around capillaries (glomerulus) and these are finger like projections with gaps in them, these gaps do the same as the others

:smile:
Reply 1613
Original post by Zozaaaa
endothelial cell, basement membrane, and the podocytes

yasss- all on the principle of gaps? letting smaller molecules OUT but not the large proteins and red blood cells?
How likely do you think the cycles are gonna come up? They are not on the spec paper but I only really know the carbon cycle. (I know they are supposedly easy and learnt at GCSE but I've never been able to remember them :frown: )
Original post by TjayStudent

Yes, it is on our spec :smile:
Original post by eza11
yasss- all on the principle of gaps? letting smaller molecules OUT but not the large proteins and red blood cells?

Anything smaller than 69,000 RMM is forced out by ultrafiltration, including things like glucose. Large molecules like proteins are left behind as they are too large to pass through the membranes. Glucose should be reabsorbed in the PCT, if it isnt then thats a sign of diabetes :smile:
Original post by TjayStudent

Just non-cyclic, though you could be given a question telling you about cyclic then ask for comparisons :smile:
Reply 1618
Original post by Zozaaaa
Anything smaller than 69,000 RMM is forced out by ultrafiltration, including things like glucose. Large molecules like proteins are left behind as they are too large to pass through the membranes. Glucose should be reabsorbed in the PCT, if it isnt then thats a sign of diabetes :smile:

okay perfect so in PCT is where selective reabsorption mainly happens, and for glucose iys by mainly facilitated diffusion and some active transport sometimes, obvioulsy water is osmosis. so if glucose is in urine, it hasnt all been reabsorped because there is already so much in the medulla/nephron, that the filtrate simply cannot lose any more glucose as wp is as low as it can get?
Reply 1619
Original post by molz33
Yes, it is on our spec :smile:

whats the difference between cyclic and non cyclic/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending