The Student Room Group

Being told to dumb down GCSE English essays :(

I have been repeatedly told my answers for exam the English 9-1 exams are too complex and have been marked down repeatedly because of this! Can anyone offer any advice? I can't help but think our school enforcing less is more will backfire.
Waffling costs time and can make your essays harder to read and understand. Use as few words to say as much as possible, is what i've been taught.
It doesn't matter how good you actually are at a subject at GCSE is how well you are at taking a test and following a mark scheme.
Reply 3
Maybe the standard of your work is more like what you would write at A-level but I don't see why it should be a problem. If you manage to finish the paper in time then it should be fine, but perhaps it doesn't closely follow the mark scheme where they want you to write exactly like they expect you to. Are you thinking of doing English at A-level? It sounds as though you would be really good at it! I'm getting 4's and 5's in English and English Lit but am targeted a 6 and a 7, so I really need to improve! Please could I see an example of one of your answers?
Original post by UltraVioletxo
I have been repeatedly told my answers for exam the English 9-1 exams are too complex and have been marked down repeatedly because of this! Can anyone offer any advice? I can't help but think our school enforcing less is more will backfire.

Just because your answers are complex does not mean they are appropriate or of good quality.
Original post by AmeliaLost
Waffling costs time and can make your essays harder to read and understand. Use as few words to say as much as possible, is what i've been taught.

Thanks i'll take that on board.
Thanks i'll take that on board.

Are you scoring consistent A* if so hey cant complain. Whats more likely is you have complexity but still fail to answer the question properly.
Original post by 999tigger
Are you scoring consistent A* if so hey cant complain. Whats more likely is you have complexity but still fail to answer the question properly.

I'm scoring grade 8s which was the previous A* but I'm just being told I'm looking too deeply into things and questions asked
I'm scoring grade 8s which was the previous A* but I'm just being told I'm looking too deeply into things and questions asked

Which means you are doing overkill an could be using your time better elsewhere.
read the mark scheme and talk to your teacher.
Reply 9

Hey, if you don't mind could I see some of your work ^^" I started GCSE's late and i need to work harder and could use the help :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending