The Student Room Group

Maths or...

Hi, just wondering, what do you think about applying to these courses?

1. Mathematics - Oxford
2. Mathematics - Imperial
3. Maths & Economics - LSE
4. Maths & Economics/ Maths - UCL
5. Maths - KCL

Do you think applying for maths and econs would jeopardize my chances of being accepted into the courses solely focused on maths? Or is it a good way to kinda spread the risks? Also, would the personal statement differ a lot compared to the pure math one? Thank you for your advice!!!
Hey Im an student at LSE. Personally from thats a fine set of choices (although it must be said only choose if ur confident in grades :smile: ) Straight math courses don't care if u also go for math and econ as at university they are very similar subjects so it will not hurt ur application. In terms of spread risk be aware math and econ at lse / UCL are very competitive courses so would not be 'spreading risk', I have friends who got into UCL for straight math but were rejects by LSE math and Econ so a with or and econ is not an easy choice. Moreover only choose the and econ bit if u really enjoy econ as at a UCL or LSE econ modules are often very hard and you will only do well if you really enjoy them (the step up from a-level is huge).

Then for the PS i would suggest writing it with a math focus but add in a small section or reference to the economic applications of maths. For example i would discuss game theory or econometrics or even dynamic optimisation (a very Macro topic).

Hope this helps :smile:
Hi there, I largely agree with EconNinja

I obviously don't know your grades so can't comment on the universities except for the fact they are all very good courses and institutions. LSE's maths and economics course is very competitive and so be aware of this when thinking about applying however it is a world renown department and so an excellent place to study mathematics. They are used to maths students applying so it shouldn't hurt your other places :smile:
Reply 3
Hey, thanks for your insights! I am from Singapore and I did the Singapore- Cambridge A levels (which is slightly different from the UK a levels one). I got all As for Chemistry, physics, mathematics and economics and there is no A* under this syllabus, so I presume grades shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's now down to the personal statement. But you guys think my course choices are ok? Would applying for math and math and econs actually jeopardise my chances for either course? And btw, LSE does not happen to offer a pure maths course right?

Currently I have an unconditional offer from UCL for econs but I am thinking of a math course instead. If I accept this offer, i cannot reapply via Ucas unless I give up this place right? Or can I accept now and maybe choose to reject it later? Sorry I'm unfamiliar with the process and Thanks for your advice! !!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vic97
Hey, thanks for your insights! I am from Singapore and I did the Singapore- Cambridge A levels (which is slightly different from the UK a levels one). I got all As for Chemistry, physics, mathematics and economics and there is no A* under this syllabus, so I presume grades shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's now down to the personal statement. But you guys think my course choices are ok? Would applying for math and math and econs actually jeopardise my chances for either course? And btw, LSE does not happen to offer a pure maths course right?

Currently I have an unconditional offer from UCL for econs but I am thinking of a math course instead. If I accept this offer, i cannot reapply via Ucas unless I give up this place right? Or can I accept now and maybe choose to reject it later? Sorry I'm unfamiliar with the process and Thanks for your advice! !!

Not it would not hurt ur chances at all :smile: And yes LSE has no 'straight math' course but does have math with econ which is very close. With the UCL think I believe that is correct, but if u reject it later which u can then you can go reapply in the current cycle. Hope this help (reps if it does :wink: )
Original post by EconNinja
Not it would not hurt ur chances at all :smile: And yes LSE has no 'straight math' course but does have math with econ which is very close. With the UCL think I believe that is correct, but if u reject it later which u can then you can go reapply in the current cycle. Hope this help (reps if it does :wink: )

LSE's Maths with Econ course is quite a bit different from a 'normal' Maths course at other top universities, actually. Lot more focus on applied.
Original post by yl95
LSE's Maths with Econ course is quite a bit different from a 'normal' Maths course at other top universities, actually. Lot more focus on applied.

Actually thats not totally true, at LSE you can only really do pure maths while at others you take more stats or applied (mechanics) since at lee there are no mechanics courses, the real difference is you have to sit a few econ modules.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending