The Student Room Group

My step-brother cares more about AS Critical Thinking than me!

Usually, we've been very close since we were young. We always talk and play games together since we were young, even though we have different social groups at school, cos we go to different schools, and I'm 1 year older than him - we always have a nice stable relationship where we can just hang out at home ya know. But ever since the Christmas December mock for AS Critical Thinking, he's a changed person.

At first, he just talked less and spent time in his room doing the critical thinking section from BMAT books. But steadily he's been not talking to me at all!! Whenever I speak to him he's so angry and resentful, and I don't know why! He says he's aiming for a C (and maybe even a B!), but his mock exam says he's working around an E grade.

He aspires to do "Alcohol and Substance Misuse Work" at Accrington & Rossendale College, and he needs around 96 UCAS Tariff points! He's really stressing out I think, even though he doesn't say it and says he's alright, I know he's stressed underneath. Critical thinking is his only AS, and he's doing a BTEC in Pattern Cutting Level 1 (that's a hobby of his) and Public Services Diploma Level 2. He has two GCSEs, Business Studies with D and History with a C. I don't know how to help him, especially with me going off to uni next year it's concerning - I want to be able to help him out.

I really feel neglected and helpless at the same time, I wish he would at least speak to me, I feel like a prisoner in my own home. I'm confused and I don't know what to do, someone please HELP! Thanks guys.
Let him do his studying, it's important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ms.Car-Tar
Usually, we've been very close since we were young. We always talk and play games together since we were young, even though we have different social groups at school, cos we go to different schools, and I'm 1 year older than him - we always have a nice stable relationship where we can just hang out at home ya know. But ever since the Christmas December mock for AS Critical Thinking, he's a changed person.

At first, he just talked less and spent time in his room doing the critical thinking section from BMAT books. But steadily he's been not talking to me at all!! Whenever I speak to him he's so angry and resentful, and I don't know why! He says he's aiming for a C (and maybe even a B!), but his mock exam says he's working around an E grade.

He aspires to do "Alcohol and Substance Misuse Work" at Accrington & Rossendale College, and he needs around 96 UCAS Tariff points! He's really stressing out I think, even though he doesn't say it and says he's alright, I know he's stressed underneath. Critical thinking is his only AS, and he's doing a BTEC in Pattern Cutting Level 1 (that's a hobby of his) and Public Services Diploma Level 2. He has two GCSEs, Business Studies with D and History with a C. I don't know how to help him, especially with me going off to uni next year it's concerning - I want to be able to help him out.

I really feel neglected and helpless at the same time, I wish he would at least speak to me, I feel like a prisoner in my own home. I'm confused and I don't know what to do, someone please HELP! Thanks guys.

It seems as though you are more clingy and dependent on him, than the other way around. Your life shouldn't revolve around your brother. Spend more time with your other friends, focus on yourself. Let him revise, he's obviously wanting to focus on that because it's important to him. Maybe he's angry and resentful because you're being too overbearing on him. If he wanted help from you, then he'd come to you. I know that's hard, and you obviously want what's best for him. But you need to become your own person, and let him grow as a person. The issue here isn't him, it's you.

I know that's hard to face, but that's the truth. You shouldn't feel neglected or like a prisoner in your own home because of your brother. He doesn't have to focus on you 24/7, or even most of the time. He's his own person, and so are you. Focus on yourself and doing your own thing. Try branching out and hanging out with your actual friends more. Try looking into preparing for university more.

How are you going to cope when you go to university and you simply won't have the time to be able to see him or communicate with him a lot? Are you going to neglect your studies to hang around with him?

Likely, once his exams are over he'll be more chatty and less stressed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending