The Student Room Group

Supporting Decision Between Offers....

How should one support one's offspring's decision making between uni offers ? Decision is to be in by 4 May, and he's currently working hard towards final set of school exams....life changing decision to be made at stressful exam prep time (exams here in May)....by an 18 year old !

My son's position is particularly complicated in that we are in Scotland .... he has unconditional for an English uni which is 14th for subject (and on the up ) in UK and the uni itself being ranked 9th in UK (and holding)- the course would include a placement year. He also has unconditionals for two Scottish unis, same course but no placement, first of these is 23rd for subject in UK (and falling) and 34th ranked uni in Uk (and rising), the second is 31st for course in UK (and falling) and 48th ranked uni in UK (and falling).

Obviously fees are an issue. What looks like a better option in England with fees, or possibly adequate ? in Scotland with no fees. The English option also appears to have superior careers dept set-up for finding employment at the end.

He is 18 ! Its his decision ! But how do I support him in this, (and neutralise the effect of his father who is anti-fees at all costs). ? We have been told 'its the uni not the course that matters' (from school) - in which case it definitely points to the English option.

Help please !
Original post by studyforever
How should one support one's offspring's decision making between uni offers ? Decision is to be in by 4 May, and he's currently working hard towards final set of school exams....life changing decision to be made at stressful exam prep time (exams here in May)....by an 18 year old !

My son's position is particularly complicated in that we are in Scotland .... he has unconditional for an English uni which is 14th for subject (and on the up ) in UK and the uni itself being ranked 9th in UK (and holding)- the course would include a placement year. He also has unconditionals for two Scottish unis, same course but no placement, first of these is 23rd for subject in UK (and falling) and 34th ranked uni in Uk (and rising), the second is 31st for course in UK (and falling) and 48th ranked uni in UK (and falling).

Obviously fees are an issue. What looks like a better option in England with fees, or possibly adequate ? in Scotland with no fees. The English option also appears to have superior careers dept set-up for finding employment at the end.

He is 18 ! Its his decision ! But how do I support him in this, (and neutralise the effect of his father who is anti-fees at all costs). ? We have been told 'its the uni not the course that matters' (from school) - in which case it definitely points to the English option.

Help please !

Which course is it he wants to study? Fees are a factor to take into account but living costs in those cities are something he d want to consider too.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Which course is it he wants to study? Fees are a factor to take into account but living costs in those cities are something he d want to consider too.

He is wanting to study economics. Living costs are hard to consider, the English uni is Lancaster (low living costs), the first choice Scottish is in our home city - has a guarantee of halls in first year, but always the option of moving home to cut costs too (though he would prefer to move out and 'be a student') - I think living costs here are almost definitely higher than Lancaster.
He is wanting to study economics. Living costs are hard to consider, the English uni is Lancaster (low living costs), the first choice Scottish is in our home city - has a guarantee of halls in first year, but always the option of moving home to cut costs too (though he would prefer to move out and 'be a student':wink: - I think living costs here are almost definitely higher than Lancaster.

I live in Lancashire and the living costs are quite low, Lancaster is a small town though so it depends if your son is more of a city person or not.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
I live in Lancashire and the living costs are quite low, Lancaster is a small town though so it depends if your son is more of a city person or not.

Thanks claireestelle. Despite having lived in the city all of his life he has definite leanings towards the smaller environment, and is definitely not a 'night life' kind of person. - from that point of view I think Lancaster would suit him well - and he liked the people on the two visits we have made !
Thanks claireestelle. Despite having lived in the city all of his life he has definite leanings towards the smaller environment, and is definitely not a 'night life' kind of person. - from that point of view I think Lancaster would suit him well - and he liked the people on the two visits we have made !

If he isnt a night life kind of person, lancaster could be a good fit then, i've visited there on days out a couple of times and it certainly has a peaceful and cosy feel to the place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending