The Student Room Group

Should I move on?

Hi, I could do with some advice about a relationship. I met a girl at uni and we were together for about 5 months, we argued a bit and, despite us agreeing to meet after one of my exams, she got an early train home. I'd had a disaster in the exam and basically ended it over text. I regretted it about an hour later and the next day traveled to meet her where she lived, where we agreed to give it another go.

This didn't work out brilliantly and she ended it a few days later, but we had sex the next day when I went to collect some things and I got sad about the breakup. The next time day, she went for a night out with her uni friends, and they stayed with her ex. She ended up extending the stay and spending time with other friends in the town he goes to uni in, but staying with him. We talked when she came back and she said nothing happened with him. A couple of times since, we've been talking and on the advice of my friends I said I still had feelings and asked if there was a future, she said no but never seemed convinced.

Eventually she went to stay with him again for a uni conference and they spent the day together and she told me they kissed before they went to bed. He came to where we go to uni as well for a day and stayed overnight. She says they're "talking" now. The last night she was at uni, she invited me over and we talked and eventually ended up watching a film and spooning. We had another discussion about feelings the next day before she went home. I was still at uni for another week, and on some nights out we ended up texting and (with a fair bit of alcohol) getting emotional about the breakup. A few nights, we'd talk and it would be completely perfect and we'd talk about how perfect things were together when we were together and send photos of us together etc

This week I'm at home, and she's at a festival. We've been talking quite a bit and although she's tired it's been really nice. She's been trying to persuade me to come to a festival over the summer with her. We spent hours on the phone, but the signal there is rubbish so she had to use wifi (which is pretty rare on site in itself). We arranged that I'd catch the train to go see her and we'd spend a day in the town we go to uni together, stay over and then head separate ways home. She was talking earlier about talking about me to her family etc This afternoon, she said she wasn't happy with the idea of staying over anymore, and that we'd spend the day and she'd go home.

Now she's saying it's not fair on the boy she's talking to to meet up with me at all, and has stopped replying to my text, even though she's online on Facebook. I know I'm being mental, but she's pulled me up for not replying but being online. I'm getting sick of making an effort but getting very little in the way of responses back half the time. My studies are suffering with the stress of this, so I could do with some advice as to how to handle it? Should I confront her with the facts or just move on? I'm feeling a little bit led on which I know is stupid, but it's hard to justify without copying texts out.

Cheers
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I could do with some advice about a relationship. I met a girl at uni and we were together for about 5 months, we argued a bit and, despite us agreeing to meet after one of my exams, she got an early train home. I'd had a disaster in the exam and basically ended it over text. I regretted it about an hour later and the next day traveled to meet her where she lived, where we agreed to give it another go.

This didn't work out brilliantly and she ended it a few days later, but we had sex the next day when I went to collect some things and I got sad about the breakup. The next time day, she went for a night out with her uni friends, and they stayed with her ex. She ended up extending the stay and spending time with other friends in the town he goes to uni in, but staying with him. We talked when she came back and she said nothing happened with him. A couple of times since, we've been talking and on the advice of my friends I said I still had feelings and asked if there was a future, she said no but never seemed convinced.

Eventually she went to stay with him again for a uni conference and they spent the day together and she told me they kissed before they went to bed. He came to where we go to uni as well for a day and stayed overnight. She says they're "talking" now. The last night she was at uni, she invited me over and we talked and eventually ended up watching a film and spooning. We had another discussion about feelings the next day before she went home. I was still at uni for another week, and on some nights out we ended up texting and (with a fair bit of alcohol) getting emotional about the breakup. A few nights, we'd talk and it would be completely perfect and we'd talk about how perfect things were together when we were together and send photos of us together etc

This week I'm at home, and she's at a festival. We've been talking quite a bit and although she's tired it's been really nice. She's been trying to persuade me to come to a festival over the summer with her. We spent hours on the phone, but the signal there is rubbish so she had to use wifi (which is pretty rare on site in itself). We arranged that I'd catch the train to go see her and we'd spend a day in the town we go to uni together, stay over and then head separate ways home. She was talking earlier about talking about me to her family etc This afternoon, she said she wasn't happy with the idea of staying over anymore, and that we'd spend the day and she'd go home.

Now she's saying it's not fair on the boy she's talking to to meet up with me at all, and has stopped replying to my text, even though she's online on Facebook. I know I'm being mental, but she's pulled me up for not replying but being online. I'm getting sick of making an effort but getting very little in the way of responses back half the time. My studies are suffering with the stress of this, so I could do with some advice as to how to handle it? Should I confront her with the facts or just move on? I'm feeling a little bit led on which I know is stupid, but it's hard to justify without copying texts out.

Cheers

Needs a tl;dr.

I think she's playing you a bit, my friend. Sounds like she can't quite decide, and wants to keep her options as open as she can. She doesn't sound particularly into you any longer, but is perhaps keeping you on the back burner in case it doesn't work out with the new one.

You get treated in life how you allow yourself to be treated. I'd man up and give her an ultimatum - either him or you. She won't respect you if you allow yourself to be used like this.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Needs a tl;dr.

I think she's playing you a bit, my friend. Sounds like she can't quite decide, and wants to keep her options as open as she can. She doesn't sound particularly into you any longer, but is perhaps keeping you on the back burner in case it doesn't work out with the new one.

You get treated in life how you allow yourself to be treated. I'd man up and give her an ultimatum - either him or you. She won't respect you if you allow yourself to be used like this.

I hadn't thought of it like that. I'll ask her if that's the case next time we speak on the phone, cheers
Hate to say it but she's clearly leading you on. As a general rule of thumb, once things start getting complicated, involving break-ups, exes, make-up sex - if it stops being fun you move on as fast as possible. Don't wanna rub salt in the wound, but what you've just described is a train-wreck of a potential relationship. Cut off contact and take some time out for yourself.
nip it on the bud right now man, seriously. It might hurt now, but it will be temporary and you'll be better off in the long term. She is holding you as an option by the sounds of it and just playing you. If she was serious about it then she wouldn't be meeting with her ex, staying over with him etc. She's stopped replying instantly to messages also, so seriously just dump her right now this second. No need to send any messages to end it, just end all contact. Speaking from experience, if you stick around and let her treat you they way she has been, you'll get hurt a lot more than you will be if you end it now, at least it will be your choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
NOW THAT'S WHAT YOU CALL PLAYED!

This girl loves this attention and playing games with you and other guys I'm guessing. Fair enough you like her and want to keep trying (respect) to keep it going because us guys tend to be stupid with these types of things, but really, move on, whats the point of all the drama? Has talking to her REALLY made you happier when you're basically just on and off from what you've said on the post? Ask yourself if there is even a point in talking to her likeee just cut her off and see if she tries to talk to you or whatever, then you'll know what she's thinking imo.
Not necessarily. Sometimes it's hard to let go.
You really need a proper conversation, not on the phone, to work out what happens next. Tell her what you want, ask what she wants.
To be fair, you did end it first although I see that's just a knee jerk reaction to being upset.
If you want to be with her and think it's worth it then give it a go. If you truthfully see it going nowhere then try and put her out of your mind and let her go and move on. Good luck
Reply 7
She is using you. you are being played my friend. she's been in contact with other guys while spending time with you and she ran back to her ex when you two were over. She's no good for you. Keep your chin up. You will honestly be better off cuttingher out of your life and moving on :smile:
Reply 8
Hi all,

Thanks for the previous replies - I decided to cut her out and stop talking to her as much.
She's all but got back with her ex, and when I cancelled the plans with her she made them with him.

I started talking to someone else, but I'm not really feeling the spark and kinda struggling and I feel like I'm winding my mates up by being so mopey.
She text me today and I said I was done with her for good.

Has anyone got any advice?
Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending