The Student Room Group

Why would anyone go clubbing, especially those in relationships?

When referring to clubbing, I mean the local trashy club where 99% of people are drunk. The kind of club where girls get hit on by random guys, where sweaty random people rub up against you and so on.

The only reason I see for going is to have a good time with your friends, but there are several more enjoyable activities to do with your friends surely? What is so fun about 'dancing' half drunk to awful music cramped in by random, sweaty strangers.

It seems, to me, that the main reason guys go is to hit on girls. So why would a guy in a relationship want to go when you remove the main reason for going?

Also, I often hear girls complaining about guys hitting on them when they just want to dance with their friends. Surely if this was the case you would join a dance club instead? Furthermore, if you are a girl in a relationship, why would you go clubbing knowing you are going to get hit on by random guys near constantly?

Maybe I am simply missing something. But every time I go clubbing it seems overrated and has an awful culture attached to it.
Original post by Anonymous
It seems, to me, that the main reason guys go is to hit on girls. So why would a guy in a relationship want to go when you remove the main reason for going?

Also, I often hear girls complaining about guys hitting on them when they just want to dance with their friends. Surely if this was the case you would join a dance club instead? Furthermore, if you are a girl in a relationship, why would you go clubbing knowing you are going to get hit on by random guys near constantly?

Ok I don't enjoy clubbing but two things:

1) Guys do actually go clubbing for the sake of clubbing, funnily enough. Y'know, to dance, drink, be stupid. I don't enjoy clubbing now but on some occasions it is just fun. Also, some guys do have self-restraint....

2) Ah yes, good old victim blaming. Just like when girls 'complain' that they can't walk at night because guys will try to rape them. The girls are there to have fun and if they want to dance in a nightclub they can damn well dance in a nightclub. It isn't their fault that sex pests also hang around the clubs and if somebody had brought these sex pests up better, the problem wouldn't be there. As for relationships, much like guys, some girls have self-control. If a guy chooses to hit on them the girl can say no/tell the to :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: off.
You're kinda missing why people go clubbing. I'm in a relationship and for me I go clubbing because I can have a fun night out with friends, dancing to songs I like and letting my hair down. And granted, there's a clubbing culture in university- if I didn't go my social life would be pretty pathetic. I would say most guys go for the same reasons. There's the odd guy who will be gropey yes, but I just push them away if they try anything. I'm not about to stop going out and having a fun time with my friends because there's a chance someone's going to grab my bum, and I'm still allowed to be pissed off about it when they do.

So yeah, I think you are missing something- you don't have to like going clubbing, but don't assume everyone who does is looking to pull. You don't have to understand why people enjoy it, but being judgy about it won't get you anywhere.
To dance usually. Thats why I go.

Original post by picklescamp
You're kinda missing why people go clubbing. I'm in a relationship and for me I go clubbing because I can have a fun night out with friends, dancing to songs I like and letting my hair down. And granted, there's a clubbing culture in university- if I didn't go my social life would be pretty pathetic. I would say most guys go for the same reasons. There's the odd guy who will be gropey yes, but I just push them away if they try anything. I'm not about to stop going out and having a fun time with my friends because there's a chance someone's going to grab my bum, and I'm still allowed to be pissed off about it when they do.

So yeah, I think you are missing something- you don't have to like going clubbing, but don't assume everyone who does is looking to pull. You don't have to understand why people enjoy it, but being judgy about it won't get you anywhere.

Every time I go out half the guys in my group are just trying to pull and it's like their main priority lol. Last time I went one of them was trying to use me to attract girls cus I'm good at dancing lmao. Gets pretty lame tbh.

Going out with people that are good at / like dancing is super fun though. Making a dance circle and taking turns in the middle doing stupid stuff :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
When referring to clubbing, I mean the local trashy club where 99% of people are drunk. The kind of club where girls get hit on by random guys, where sweaty random people rub up against you and so on.

The only reason I see for going is to have a good time with your friends, but there are several more enjoyable activities to do with your friends surely? What is so fun about 'dancing' half drunk to awful music cramped in by random, sweaty strangers.

Maybe I am simply missing something. But every time I go clubbing it seems overrated and has an awful culture attached to it.

I'm in a relationship, and have been for the past 3.5 years. We both like to go out now and then, and it's fun. We go out with our friends, or we go out together.

I don't know about you, but with someone who can make myself quite mentally ill because of the amount of stress I put myself under at Uni, I like to have a night every few months where I go out, let my hair down, have a few shots to relax myself, and dance the night away.And don't you worry, I do PLENTY of other activities with my friends and my boyfriend, just every now and then we all like to go out and have a nice time. I mean, being in a relationship doesn't mean I shouldn't have fun right? Idk, maybe your relationship is like that, but in mine, we have a lot of trust we're both crazy about eachother, so neither of us really cares if the other one goes out to town with their friends. If you're worried about your other half cheating on a night out, then you're probably not with the right person. AND if you're telling your other half to stay at home and not go out with their friends - well that's a bit controlling isn't it?

Yes, a lot of guys and girls go to clubs to pull, but you also have to bear in mind that a lot of them DON'T. If you look around a club, there's quite often groups of friends who are happily sat around or dancing and having a nice time. There's no point trying to generalise guys, because they're not all the same, so they won't all have the same intentions.

"Also, I often hear girls complaining about guys hitting on them when they just want to dance with their friends. Surely if this was the case you would join a dance club instead? Furthermore, if you are a girl in a relationship, why would you go clubbing knowing you are going to get hit on by random guys near constantly?" ah, got to love VICTIM BLAMING :smile::smile::smile: unfortunately, there is a culture, where a lot of guys are extremely misogynistic and think they have the right to try grope a girl without her consent, even when they're clearly told to f off. However why should people who are in the wrong stop me from doing what I like? And with the whole dance club comment - well if you don't want to get mugged, why don't you just never go outside again? if you don't want to get stabbed, why not always wear a full protective suit? if you don't want to be robbed of your belongings, why don't you just not have any belongings?? brilliant ideas eh?! And ESPECIALLY in a relationship, this makes me laugh. I'm in a relationship, my boufriend trusts me, I've never done anything wrong to him, and vice versa. I also think you're REALLy missing the point here - i don't go to a club to get hit on, i go to dance. Understood? or is that a bit tough to process, that for some weird reason my reason for going out is actually something to do with having fun with my friends!!!

Honestly, if you hate clubs so much, don't go to them - it's a simple solution. But don't try to tell others what to do, or judge others because they're in a relationship but still have fun with their friends in a club. It's such a messed up way of thinking. I really hope that if/when you have a partner, you're not like this to them, cause honestly it's a bit of a disgusting way of thinking.
Your missing out, bet your fun at parties, then again you probably don't go
people can still go clubbing to have drinks with their friends despite being in a relationship. As long as theyre not flirting back to random people then i dont see the problem
Reply 7
Original post by danuuutka
I'm in a relationship, and have been for the past 3.5 years. We both like to go out now and then, and it's fun. We go out with our friends, or we go out together.

I don't know about you, but with someone who can make myself quite mentally ill because of the amount of stress I put myself under at Uni, I like to have a night every few months where I go out, let my hair down, have a few shots to relax myself, and dance the night away.And don't you worry, I do PLENTY of other activities with my friends and my boyfriend, just every now and then we all like to go out and have a nice time. I mean, being in a relationship doesn't mean I shouldn't have fun right? Idk, maybe your relationship is like that, but in mine, we have a lot of trust we're both crazy about eachother, so neither of us really cares if the other one goes out to town with their friends. If you're worried about your other half cheating on a night out, then you're probably not with the right person. AND if you're telling your other half to stay at home and not go out with their friends - well that's a bit controlling isn't it?

Yes, a lot of guys and girls go to clubs to pull, but you also have to bear in mind that a lot of them DON'T. If you look around a club, there's quite often groups of friends who are happily sat around or dancing and having a nice time. There's no point trying to generalise guys, because they're not all the same, so they won't all have the same intentions.

"Also, I often hear girls complaining about guys hitting on them when they just want to dance with their friends. Surely if this was the case you would join a dance club instead? Furthermore, if you are a girl in a relationship, why would you go clubbing knowing you are going to get hit on by random guys near constantly?" ah, got to love VICTIM BLAMING :smile::smile::smile: unfortunately, there is a culture, where a lot of guys are extremely misogynistic and think they have the right to try grope a girl without her consent, even when they're clearly told to f off. However why should people who are in the wrong stop me from doing what I like? And with the whole dance club comment - well if you don't want to get mugged, why don't you just never go outside again? if you don't want to get stabbed, why not always wear a full protective suit? if you don't want to be robbed of your belongings, why don't you just not have any belongings?? brilliant ideas eh?! And ESPECIALLY in a relationship, this makes me laugh. I'm in a relationship, my boufriend trusts me, I've never done anything wrong to him, and vice versa. I also think you're REALLy missing the point here - i don't go to a club to get hit on, i go to dance. Understood? or is that a bit tough to process, that for some weird reason my reason for going out is actually something to do with having fun with my friends!!!

Honestly, if you hate clubs so much, don't go to them - it's a simple solution. But don't try to tell others what to do, or judge others because they're in a relationship but still have fun with their friends in a club. It's such a messed up way of thinking. I really hope that if/when you have a partner, you're not like this to them, cause honestly it's a bit of a disgusting way of thinking.

I think you misunderstood my question slightly, or rushed into answering something defensively.

Firstly, I never said I had anyone, but postured over why would someone want to go clubbing if they have a boyfriend or girlfriend. If they did want to go clubbing that is their choice. It would not be something I would worry about or be controlling over.

Secondly, I did not say everyone goes clubbing to pull. But a significant number of guys do go for that very reason. Even if they don't I do not understand what is so fun about having drunk strangers pressing into you?

Thirdly, when I have gone in a group it is a frequent occurrence for the girls to be hit on. This cannot be compared to stabbing because the probability of being stabbed is far lower than a girl being hit on in a club. If the probabilities were the same I would definitely wear a stab proof vest. This is far from victim blaming. I was just confused how people still enjoy going?

I don't judge people who go clubbing, nor do I tell others what to do. You jump to conclusions too much.
I'm getting very bored of it as of recently but every so often I enjoy it just to dance and sing with my friends :tongue: I understand why single people usually prefer it.
I think you misunderstood my question slightly, or rushed into answering something defensively.

Firstly, I never said I had anyone, but postured over why would someone want to go clubbing if they have a boyfriend or girlfriend. If they did want to go clubbing that is their choice. It would not be something I would worry about or be controlling over.

Secondly, I did not say everyone goes clubbing to pull. But a significant number of guys do go for that very reason. Even if they don't I do not understand what is so fun about having drunk strangers pressing into you?

Thirdly, when I have gone in a group it is a frequent occurrence for the girls to be hit on. This cannot be compared to stabbing because the probability of being stabbed is far lower than a girl being hit on in a club. If the probabilities were the same I would definitely wear a stab proof vest. This is far from victim blaming. I was just confused how people still enjoy going?

I don't judge people who go clubbing, nor do I tell others what to do. You jump to conclusions too much.

Of course girls get frequently hit on, and it's an annoying occurrence that in my opinion shouldn't happen. Personally I don't enjoy it, other girls might, I don't know, but I as well as I'm sure many other girls, try not to fixate on that, because if all girls focussed so much on getting hit on etc we wouldn't leave the house much. Girls can still have an enjoyable night, because even though you do get a lot of getting hit on, most people understand "no", and it is only a few guys out of many that keep pushing. Obviously clubbing isn't for everyone, I myself don't do it very often, but when I do, I try to have fun in the presence of my friends. You also have to remember that during a night out, which usually lasts from 11-4am or something, you don't actually get THAT much of the getting hit on, at least not in my experience, so I don't let these few attempts (that's all they ever are, I either elbow or politely tell to F off) ruin my night.

I apologise for misunderstanding your statements but it does very much sound quite judgemental and controlling, even if they weren't intended to sound that way.
Original post by ChickenMadness

Every time I go out half the guys in my group are just trying to pull and it's like their main priority lol. Last time I went one of them was trying to use me to attract girls cus I'm good at dancing lmao. Gets pretty lame tbh.

Going out with people that are good at / like dancing is super fun though. Making a dance circle and taking turns in the middle doing stupid stuff :biggrin:

Ah well that's a bit depressing, I didnt think most guys did haha- when I go out with guys I'm friends with they never really make a move on any girls in the club, But I guess an entirely male group could put more of an emphasis on it...
Dance circle > being hit on any day haha
Reply 11

I know a lot of couples who go together.
You've probably only been to crap clubs. I go clubbing because I like music and dancing. Yeah, being hit on is a bit annoying but it doesn't happen to me that often anyway. I even go clubbing with my fiancé sometimes, because it's just something to do to have fun :dance:
To be honest, I hardly went clubbing when I was single anyway cos I had no fun friends to go with and I was scared to go alone. It's only since being with my partner and moving to his city that I've managed to find some people to go out with and even sometimes go myself when I had the confidence :smile:
I'm not a fan of clubbing, usually I go out with my friends or boyfriend to coffee shops, to the movies, to dinner, stuff like that. And you can go clubbing even if you are in a relationship, you just have to trust the person you are with and vice-versa. Some of my friends like to go clubbing to dance and just have fun with each other, no one cares about the drunk people around or even give guys the time of day. And guys go out with their friends too for the same reason and don't care about other girls. It depends.
Sorry but if you need to go clubbing to get a girl, you need to improve your personality
Reply 16
Because we like drinking in company until 4 or 5 am. Duuuuuh.
girls who are in a relationship and still decide to go clubbing are there for attention seeking from guys
walahi cheating is ok if it aint doing any harm. i got a main girl and few side girls, but i treat them all correct

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending