The Student Room Group

Would you be devastated if you never found anyone?

Scroll to see replies

I ve been very lucky to have found that someone already but if anything did happen then I d rather be alone than with someone who wasn't him, i d just have a house full of capybaras.
It's easier to be a bachelor than it is to be a cat lady. The former can be happy, the latter tend to go insane.

As a man, the world is your oyster. You can travel anywhere without getting scared as a woman would, you're strong (if you train), you're more willing to work in rough industries to get a solid pay check and you have more ways to enjoy yourself (hunting, off-road racing, sailing, shooting, playing polo etc). So I think it would be much better if you focused on the wonders that the world has to offer. Marriage and having kids isn't worth it in the 21st century - for a guy at least, because you could lose everything. That's my 2 cents anyway.
I'm not worried about not finding a woman. There are plenty out there.
My focus right now is finding and starting a good career.

The best thing someone can do when they are single is focus on keeping themselves happy, then you will find the right woman/man.
Original post by stefano865
There is a significant cultural bias towards marriage. We are fed the message that it is the best, if not only, path to happiness. Clearly this leads to a great deal of disappointment. I suppose at the same time we need to remember that we are essentially social apes - designed to live in family groups. We are biologically programmed to want intimate contact with others.

Yep. Fact of the matter is that marriage and having children used to work. Once you can transcend the need for both in a upside down world, I think you can finally be at peace with yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Spock's Socks
I've already found the person I want to be with for the rest of my life but say for whatever reason, I did lose him and didn't meet someone else through time, I would be pretty gutted about it but I'd rather be alone than just settle for second best.

As for cats, I'll have them whether I'm in a relationship or not so in a sense, I'll never be lonely :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lool I was going to tag you in this
I would be sad but would just accept it and throw myself into work or something else, I'm in no rush at the moment though. I actually like being on my own, got a few more things I wanna achieve before I 'settle down'
Original post by sr90
Already reluctantly accepted i'm going to go through life completely alone

Can't say i'm happy with it but that's the reality of things. I'm that awful.

Please don't tell me you two feel as hopeless as this guy?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ForeverAlone/comments/1achza/friend_wrote_this_about_being_foreveralone/
Original post by Supernova91
I would be sad but would just accept it and throw myself into work or something else, I'm in no rush at the moment though. I actually like being on my own, got a few more things I wanna achieve before I 'settle down'

Swear you said you had a partner the other day? I dunno lol
You are always ultimately alone anyway.
Swear you said you had a partner the other day? I dunno lol

Nope .
Nope .

K you can be FA with the rest of us then. :five:

lol
K you can be FA with the rest of us then. :five:

lol

You're like Monica in friends when she 'remembers every little thing' .
You're like Monica in friends when she 'remembers every little thing' .

looooooool

I do actually have an exceptional memory. Was right about the height one wasn't I.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
PFFT please I have a life I don't have time to be with a "significant other" I got work to do I ain't settling down till I lose my two legs.

But that'll be 2080, so I'll have robotic legs! Ain't got no time to settle with hoes- oh :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: I'm done for.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You are always ultimately alone anyway.

That's some deep :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: .-.
I've accepted that my mental health makes it too hard for anyone to really love me or be in a relationship with me so at this point I just go home and cry when I see all my friends being affectionate with their partners.
Original post by markova21
I'm 49. The love of my life was a married Japanese man with three children. My son's father has been dead ten years in July and was a violent, useless, lazy alcoholic, who I never loved. But without him I wouldn't now have my 20 year old son and then I WOULD be completely alone. Started a relationship with a mutual friend of mine and my son's dads, after my son's dad died. We split up, and then got back together. He then cheated on me with his ex while I was quite seriously ill and in and out of hospital. We split up very acrimoniously, after I got my revenge on him, big time. That was six years ago. Been on my own since. But I have my son and my cats. I've put on so much weight tbh even if I was interested, no-one would look twice at me anyway. I accepted I am destined for single hood a long time ago. I have my son. I'm very lucky, as some people have no-one.

Not meaning to be rude buy why do you post on a student forum if you are 49?

Begs the question how you know about that Reddit thread.

There's some truth to it. I've experienced what I thought to be love, at least on my end. I miss the good times and the bad. I miss the laughter, the bonding, the intimacy. Two years later and I'm not even one step closer to experiencing that again, not even by a small margin.

'n yet, it's not so much the "forever alone" status but more so the question..."Why?". For all intents and purposes, I'd like to think I'm a good person. I'm not the Elephant Man in appearance, and I do well for myself in most aspects of life. Ultimately though, being dateless / sexless is just a result of a specific attribute that is a part of me, and that is, for lack of a better way to describe it, being undesirable.

It sucks, but no one cares enough to help me understand why and all that I've done to rectify the problem has been for naught. It's better to just accept it than dwell on something that can't be changed.

@OProblematicOne
(edited 7 years ago)
looooooool

I do actually have an exceptional memory. Was right about the height one wasn't I.

Yeah you were (I think :laugh:) !

Excellent trait though , goes down a storm with the ladies :wink:
Reply 39
Original post by Anonymous
Not meaning to be rude buy why do you post on a student forum if you are 49?

Maybe they are or have recently been a student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending