The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi all,

We hope you've had a lovely Easter break (we certainly have)!

We're back for another two week thread (until 5PM on Friday 5th May) to answer any questions you might have about Peterhouse, Cambridge, our courses or the application process.

Ask away!

What sort of things make for an impressive application- especially for a maths degree :biggrin:
Original post by Purpleunicorn197
What sort of things make for an impressive application- especially for a maths degree :biggrin:

Being good at maths, interested in maths and eager to learn more maths (nd who would really benefit from our supervision system of teaching.
what sort of ums in maths and fm AS would be competitive for an economics applicant, like 90 , or 95?

thanks
How do you make a personal statement at such an impressive institution, where most applicants have many exceptional achievements, stand out? Particularly for Economics. How would you recommend revising/preparing for the ECAA? How would you also recommend preparing for interview?
Hello, thank you for taking the time to answer questions!

I want to apply for Computer Science, and on the website it says that Further Mathematics is desirable. I am, however, from Germany where this subject isn't offered, everyone is required to take the same maths. Does this put me in an disadvantage?
Looking at the topics in the A-Level modules, I actually learned some of the pure maths like proofs, complex numbers and differential equations in an additional (not graded) course I took, and we covered a lot of the Decision topics in our Computer Science course, as well as some Mechanics in Physics classes in previous years. Should I study more of the topics on my own?
Original post by moss6
what sort of ums in maths and fm AS would be competitive for an economics applicant, like 90 , or 95?

thanks

Ideally we would want to see that you were on track for an A* so something around (not at least) 90% would be competitive. The typical offer for Economics is A*A*A so if you're predicted an A in maths but A* in other relevant subjects (Economics, FM, sciences, humanities) you could still apply successfully. .
Original post by CIEBioloysifh
How do you make a personal statement at such an impressive institution, where most applicants have many exceptional achievements, stand out? Particularly for Economics. How would you recommend revising/preparing for the ECAA? How would you also recommend preparing for interview?

Remember that applications are viewed holistically with no aspect considered in isolation (no one thing is make or break) and with no particular weighting on any one element. In all honesty, Cambridge collects lots of other information about its candidates through contextual information, the extenuating circumstances form (if applicable), the SAQ, admissions assessments and the interview that the personal statement is less important to us than it is to other institutions. There is little that you could put in your personal statement that would lead you to be rejected so it's best to think of the personal statement as a chance to tell us why you want to spend 3 years of your life studying a course - think of it as a love letter to your subject and leave the boasting about how great you are to your teachers in their reference.

We advise applicants to spend about 80% of the PS talking about this interest in the subject and what you've done about it. Be selective though - we'd rather hear about a couple of things in detail rather than a list of every economics lecture or booik you know about. The remaining 20% of the statement can be about extra-curriculars like sports, music, leadership or work experience. These less relevant extracurriculars are nice to hear about but are not considered by us in admissions decisions (they are considered at other universities so we advise including them).

For the ECAA, you can find the specification and exapmple questions online so give that a look. We don't expect any particular preparation apart from you being on top of your GCSE and year 12 work - your year 13 work will be much more important so we don't expect tons of revision. The assessments are looking to see how can apply what they already know rather than who knows the most.
Hi all,

We hope you've had a lovely Easter break (we certainly have)!

We're back for another two week thread (until 5PM on Friday 5th May) to answer any questions you might have about Peterhouse, Cambridge, our courses or the application process.

Ask away!

Hi there :smile:

Can you apply for courses after doing an apprenticeship or will we need A-levels? I'm doing an engineering apprenticeship but would love to go to uni at some point!

Thanks
Thanks for coming on again to answer applicants' questions - I think we all greatly appreciate your work here. :smile:

We've had a steady stream of threads asking the same questions, viz:

1. "Are GCSE grades really important for a competitive Cambridge Application?"

Or, more recently: "now we don't get an AS mark to put on our application, aren't GCSE grades much more important now'.

2. "Should I take 4 (or more) A levels to make my Cambridge application more competitive?" / "Am I at a disadvantage/won't be offered a place if I only take 3 A levels?"

Although we regularly answer these threads with the existing guidance, there is still a pervasive mentality that only 8+ A* and A will be enough to be offered an interview, and that it makes your application more competitive to offer more and more A levels subjects, rather than concentrating on getting stellar marks in 3.

It would be great if you could, (once again) clarify the position of your college regarding GCSE grades, and the number of A levels it is necessary to take to make a competitive application (also, I have noticed questions about STEM subjects at Cambridge and that it is commonplace now to offer a fourth A level in Further Maths - some confirmation of this too would be great!).

Thank you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JackNott
Hello, thank you for taking the time to answer questions!

I want to apply for Computer Science, and on the website it says that Further Mathematics is desirable. I am, however, from Germany where this subject isn't offered, everyone is required to take the same maths. Does this put me in an disadvantage?
Looking at the topics in the A-Level modules, I actually learned some of the pure maths like proofs, complex numbers and differential equations in an additional (not graded) course I took, and we covered a lot of the Decision topics in our Computer Science course, as well as some Mechanics in Physics classes in previous years. Should I study more of the topics on my own?

Hi, thanks for posting!

If you're from a country where Further Maths isn't available then we don't expect you to have studied it. What you've done is a very sensible idea in comparing the syllabus for UK further maths to what you already know. Studying extra topics on your own isn't expected and won't necessarily increase you chance of an offer. You tell us on the SAQ what topics you've covered so we shouldn't ask you interview questions on something you don't know. If we do you can just say 'I don't know, we haven't covered this in school yet' and the interviewers will move on without it counting against you (obviously you can't answer this to every question though).

However, if you are successful in getting an offer then some additional study on those areas of A level further maths you haven't covered might mean that you have less of a steep learning curve once you get here.
Original post by brainzistheword
Hi there :smile:

Can you apply for courses after doing an apprenticeship or will we need A-levels? I'm doing an engineering apprenticeship but would love to go to uni at some point!

Thanks

Hi, thanks for asking. I'm afraid we don't accept apprenticeships on their own but a combination of A levels and vocational qualifications might be acceptable. This is only the view of Cambridge though, there are universities out there which would be more accommodating. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Hi, for medicine applications, I've heard that you don't always look at the candidate's AS level UMS scores, but you may do. When is it the case that you do not look at the UMS scores at AS? Also, if you do look at them, what sort of average percentage UMS are you looking for, e.g. in Maths and Physics, which are not directly relevant subjects to Medicine?
Original post by Reality Check
Thanks for coming on again to answer applicants' questions - I think we all greatly appreciate your work here. :smile:

Although we regularly answer these threads with the existing guidance, there is still a pervasive mentality that only 8+ A* and A will be enough to be offered an interview, and that it makes your application more competitive to offer more and more A levels subjects, rather than concentrating on getting stellar marks in 3.

It would be great if you could, (once again) clarify the position of your college regarding GCSE grades, and the number of A levels it is necessary to take to make a competitive application (also, I have noticed questions about STEM subjects at Cambridge and that it is commonplace now to offer a fourth A level in Further Maths - some confirmation of this too would be great!).

Thank you :smile:

Hi, happy to help!

1. "Are GCSE grades really important for a competitive Cambridge Application?"
"now we don't get an AS mark to put on our application, aren't GCSE grades much more important now'.

There are no GCSE requirements for entrance to Cambridge. The University's own research shows that GCSEs are a poor predictor of success here so it would be irrational of us to rule candidates out using GCSEs. GCSEs are not any more important now than they ever have been.

2. "Should I take 4 (or more) A levels to make my Cambridge application more competitive?" / "Am I at a disadvantage/won't be offered a place if I only take 3 A levels?"

Our typical offers are based on 3 A levels taken at the end of year 13. It is far better to excel in 3 than to do less well in 4 or more - no number of A grades equals one A*. Candidates are expected to follow whatever their school's A level policy is and won't be disadvantaged for doing that. If you take an A level at the end of year 12 and then 3 more at the end of year 13 we will generally make any offer conditional on the 3 year 13 results. Conditions can only be set for results which aren't know yet but this doesn't mean we don't consider the early result - we very much do but we want to see candidates continuing to work hard in year 13.

If candidates are taking 4 or even 5 A levels then of course offer conditions can be made on all 4 or 5 subjects - as you point out this is much more common in the sciences where maths and FM plus two other sciences are a great combination for some courses such as Chemical Engineering or if candidates want the full pick of the Natural Sciences courses in our first year.
Original post by Ishan_2000
Hi, for medicine applications, I've heard that you don't always look at the candidate's AS level UMS scores, but you may do. When is it the case that you do not look at the UMS scores at AS? Also, if you do look at them, what sort of average percentage UMS are you looking for, e.g. in Maths and Physics, which are not directly relevant subjects to Medicine?

Hi, don't worry about UMS! :smile: It isn't as important as you may have been led to believe.... The important thing is that you're on track to achieve/have achieved A*A*A in relevant subjects.

Reformed AS levels don't provide UMS so we will only have UMS information for (some) Northern Ireland candidates, Welsh candidates, mathematics AS level and candidates who took their AS levels before A levels were reformed. There are no UMS cutoffs. However, if you have UMS information, you must provide this on the SAQ and it will be one of the many pieces of information we use to asses you and your achievements, abilities and potential in the proper context of your individual educational journey.
Hi, happy to help!

There are no GCSE requirements for entrance to Cambridge. The University's own research shows that GCSEs are a poor predictor of success here so it would be irrational of us to rule candidates out using GCSEs. GCSEs are not any more important now than they ever have been.

Our typical offers are based on 3 A levels taken at the end of year 13. It is far better to excel in 3 than to do less well in 4 or more - no number of A grades equals one A*. Candidates are expected to follow whatever their school's A level policy is and won't be disadvantaged for doing that. If you take an A level at the end of year 12 and then 3 more at the end of year 13 we will generally make any offer conditional on the 3 year 13 results. Conditions can only be set for results which aren't know yet but this doesn't mean we don't consider the early result - we very much do but we want to see candidates continuing to work hard in year 13.

If candidates are taking 4 or even 5 A levels then of course offer conditions can be made on all 4 or 5 subjects - as you point out this is much more common in the sciences where maths and FM plus two other sciences are a great combination for some courses such as Chemical Engineering or if candidates want the full pick of the Natural Sciences courses in our first year.

Thank you for that clarity and completeness. I think I'm going to be quoting that post quite a bit...!
Hi, thanks for posting!

If you're from a country where Further Maths isn't available then we don't expect you to have studied it. What you've done is a very sensible idea in comparing the syllabus for UK further maths to what you already know. Studying extra topics on your own isn't expected and won't necessarily increase you chance of an offer. You tell us on the SAQ what topics you've covered so we shouldn't ask you interview questions on something you don't know. If we do you can just say 'I don't know, we haven't covered this in school yet' and the interviewers will move on without it counting against you (obviously you can't answer this to every question though).

However, if you are successful in getting an offer then some additional study on those areas of A level further maths you haven't covered might mean that you have less of a steep learning curve once you get here.

Thank you for the answer.
Should I mention the additional course I took and its content somewhere on my application?
Original post by JackNott
Thank you for the answer.
Should I mention the additional course I took and its content somewhere on my application?

Yes, you can mention that on the SAQ.
Reply 18
Hi, thanks for doing this AMA!

Someone told me that for NatSci, if you do 4 A-levels you might get an A*A*A*A offer. Is this true, or would you still get an A*A*A offer? Is there a grade requirement for the 4th A-level?
Original post by Kaedra
Hi, thanks for doing this AMA!

Someone told me that for NatSci, if you do 4 A-levels you might get an A*A*A*A offer. Is this true, or would you still get an A*A*A offer? Is there a grade requirement for the 4th A-level?

Hi, thanks for asking!

The typical offer is A*A*A so this would be the offer set for the majority of candidates. Depending on your subjects this may or may not be attached to particular subjects. In some cases we would set conditions on all 4 subjects but don't worry about the offer conditions at this stage, focus on getting the offer!

Latest

Trending

Trending