The Student Room Group

Do my boyfriend's family hate me?

I've been going out with my boyfriend for 2 months now and it's his birthday next week. His family invited me out for dinner to celebrate saying that I was more than welcome to join them, and basically it put me in a very awkward position because I don't know them all that well and although I've talked to them quite a bit round his house it would just be uncomfortable.

I thought I'd be upfront with my boyfriend and tell him how I feel; basically saying that I think it would be best for him to spend time with his family without me.

Now I'm really worried that I have offended them, although I appreciate them welcoming me into the family it put me in an awkward situation and I just wouldn't feel comfortable going!

Do you think this would come across as rude? I can see myself staying with this guy but now I just feel like I've kind of offended his family and ruined all chances to get to know them :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I've been going out with my boyfriend for 2 months now and it's his birthday next week. His family invited me out for dinner to celebrate saying that I was more than welcome to join them, and basically it put me in a very awkward position because I don't know them all that well and although I've talked to them quite a bit round his house it would just be uncomfortable.

I thought I'd be upfront with my boyfriend and tell him how I feel; basically saying that I think it would be best for him to spend time with his family without me.

Now I'm really worried that I have offended them, although I appreciate them welcoming me into the family it put me in an awkward situation and I just wouldn't feel comfortable going!

Do you think this would come across as rude? I can see myself staying with this guy but now I just feel like I've kind of offended his family and ruined all chances to get to know them :frown:

I think it was good that you were honest with him about how you feel and its completely justified that you don't feel comfortable just yet and that is fine but make sure that you are careful with possible future invitations.

I don't think you came across as rude and I think he and they would understand that you just weren't comfortable and by no means does that mean that you've ruined all chances! Do things in your own timing :smile:

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

Tbh I would be offended a little. They've invited you over for his birthday to get to know you and you not accepting is a little rude. Having said that, if you feel awkward then you shouldn't go.
Surely going to this meal will enable you to get to know his parents better? You're only going to become comfortable with his family if you make the effort to meet up with them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending