The Student Room Group

I have such a bad relationship with my sister

I’m 18 and she’s 24.
I just don’t get along with her and I try so so hard to but it’s almost impossible. She finds my humour dry and not funny, she doesn’t let me cuss at ALL because she’ll ‘slap me’ otherwise and like most girls, I like to talk about boys sometimes and if there is someone in a TV show I’m watching, my friends and I like to say ‘oh he’s attractive’. My sister, however, tells me ‘do you have no shame’ or ‘you need to sort yourself out’ when I said that this guy in my tv show was handsome. She even told my mom the same thing when my mom agreed with me. She literally has a boyfriend so I’m extremely confused with how she thinks.
Even when I talk about marriage and that ‘i want to have my wedding in Italy etc’ she asks me if I have any shame? It’s really infuriating me as how does she expect me to want to ‘bond’ with her if she hates everything that I do?

We both like makeup, and sometimes if I use her stuff and don’t put it back she gets so furious it’s insane - but this part is understandable.

My sister says I have a very ‘toxic’ personality and a very sarcastic personality, she’s not wrong.
I wish I could change how I act but she annoys me so much how do I change ?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m 18 and she’s 24.
I just don’t get along with her and I try so so hard to but it’s almost impossible. She finds my humour dry and not funny, she doesn’t let me cuss at ALL because she’ll ‘slap me’ otherwise and like most girls, I like to talk about boys sometimes and if there is someone in a TV show I’m watching, my friends and I like to say ‘oh he’s attractive’. My sister, however, tells me ‘do you have no shame’ or ‘you need to sort yourself out’ when I said that this guy in my tv show was handsome. She even told my mom the same thing when my mom agreed with me. She literally has a boyfriend so I’m extremely confused with how she thinks.
Even when I talk about marriage and that ‘i want to have my wedding in Italy etc’ she asks me if I have any shame? It’s really infuriating me as how does she expect me to want to ‘bond’ with her if she hates everything that I do?

We both like makeup, and sometimes if I use her stuff and don’t put it back she gets so furious it’s insane - but this part is understandable.

My sister says I have a very ‘toxic’ personality and a very sarcastic personality, she’s not wrong.
I wish I could change how I act but she annoys me so much how do I change ?

I understand your frustration but please don't try to change because of your sister. Sometimes we just don't get along with our family members and that's just how it is. I personally don't get along well with my siblings simply because we don't have compatible personalities or share the same opinions on things. We can't choose our family but what we can do is try to bond over the things we do and if not accept that we are just different. I personally don't see anything wrong with you cussing, saying that you find a guy attractive or that you want to get married in Italy. There is nothing shameful about your behavior. Maybe you two can bond over makeup and you can put her makeup back where you found it after using it. Have you two ever spoken about your differences when the arise Good luck with everything <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending