The Student Room Group

People tend to dislike me but I don't know what to do about it

People don't 'pick on me' as such but I find that they tend to dislike me. I'm very quiet and unassertive so I'm not nasty to people yet have trouble making friends. At university for example if I speak up in class some people look at each other and smirk, a woman on the course also noticed this happens when I speak, not just me. I'm currently on a placement and have to sort of manage the ward. As I said I'm very quiet so do struggle with this. I've noticed the nurse assistants rolling their eyes at each other and sighing when I can't make my mind up, have forgotten something or am not sure what decision to make. I feel a lot of pressure and that I don't have the skills to manage or lead people. I apologise to the assistants a lot but they still seem to dislike me or present with this attitude with me even though they don't do anything wrong as such. I worry a lot about what others think and am trying my best. I just want to be one of these people who lots of people like and are drawn to but I'm the total opposite. I think I'm very weak too like after a lot of shifts I'm crying on my way home in the car worrying what people think of me. I'm not sure if this is relevant to analysing why people react this way to me but I find that people are initially good with me but then seem to get annoyed or take the attitudes with me which I've described above. As I said people describe me as very quiet and nice so as far as I know i don't offend people it's as though they don't take to me or respect me. I feel that I don't even like the way I am myself to be honest I'm just dopy, unassertive and don't express myself.
It pisses me off at how just cause we're shy or have trouble making friends, these people can get all rude
You just need to gain a bit of confidence that is all. It will come. There is nothing wrong with you.

Just keep going with your work and you will get better at it. When you know what you are doing, the confidence will come.

People can definitely interpret a lack of confidence for being weird or even rude so that should improve with time too.
Reply 3
Original post by Sternumator
You just need to gain a bit of confidence that is all. It will come. There is nothing wrong with you.

Just keep going with your work and you will get better at it. When you know what you are doing, the confidence will come.

People can definitely interpret a lack of confidence for being weird or even rude so that should improve with time too.

I'm not young anymore though I've worked for years etc even trained in another health profession but for some reason I'm still not confident/still act like a novice. I think acting lessons or something might help ha as it must be that I'm acting very inconfident.
Reply 4
Original post by emerald7770
It pisses me off at how just cause we're shy or have trouble making friends, these people can get all rude

I know I'm not really sure what makes people respect others anymore

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending