The Student Room Group

Could I get in trouble for this?

I’m in my first job post-university (I’m just working in a call centre for a large company until I decide what I want to do long term). At times though, my job can get pretty stressful when customers are just being :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:s (I work in the billing department for a utility company) and don’t want to pay their bills. There are also occasions where the system is a nightmare or the customer is calling with a difficult query that will take a long time to sort out. On these occasions I tend to just hang up on the customer by explaining that I will put them on hold to speak to a manager or to gain some further clarification, and then while they are on hold I just press the ‘release‘ button to terminate the call and hope when they call back they don’t get through to me. Could I get in trouble for this though? It’s just that I did it on occasions on Friday and I’m concerned what my manager would think if she found out.
Reply 1
You'll probably get in trouble for it. Some people will have billing problems which may be difficult for all sorts of reasons. E.g: Financial. I understand that some of the callers can be hard to deal with, however, you shouldn't cut them off. Maybe pass it on to someone else if possible?

If they take your name down, they can easily report you to the manager. There are multiple ways of earning money, even through online. I understand that it might be for everyone, so if you don't like the job you're at then, find another job that you actually like.
Original post by Pleasantri
I’m in my first job post-university (I’m just working in a call centre for a large company until I decide what I want to do long term). At times though, my job can get pretty stressful when customers are just being :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:s (I work in the billing department for a utility company) and don’t want to pay their bills. There are also occasions where the system is a nightmare or the customer is calling with a difficult query that will take a long time to sort out. On these occasions I tend to just hang up on the customer by explaining that I will put them on hold to speak to a manager or to gain some further clarification, and then while they are on hold I just press the ‘release‘ button to terminate the call and hope when they call back they don’t get through to me. Could I get in trouble for this though? It’s just that I did it on occasions on Friday and I’m concerned what my manager would think if she found out.

Yes you could get in trouble for that as you aren't doing your job correctly
Not really, you can just say the call got cut off if anyone calls you up on it. I do it all the time if someone is being difficult. It's either that or I'll laugh/shout back at them.
If I was a customer who had a difficult problem to sort out, I wouldn't be happy in the first place. Then if the person I was speaking to told me to hold, and then hung up on me, I would be even less happier!

Doesn't the company monitor and record calls so they can check the quality of the work? When I get through to call centre, I always get told "calls are recorded for quality and training purposes".

If your manager finds out, you would be likely to get into trouble. Granted, there are issues with the system, but the right way is to notify the management to get it fixed, not by dismissing the customers. If you get stressed easily, perhaps this job is not the job for you.
Reply 5
I think that part of the reason I do it is because I hate the customers and don't want to resolve their issue. In my department, we just get scutters ringing through who have missed their last 5 bill payments but then act disgusted when we take recovery action. I do get a feeling of satisfaction though when after someone says 'GET ME YOUR MANAGER', I just put them on hold and 10 minutes later (after they've heard the hold song about 4 times), just hang up.
In any job you will get customers like this, but the professional thing is to still do your job the best you can, no matter how awful they are! Keeping calm and dealing with complaints is a good skill to have, and you can get in trouble because of what you did...
To be honest, I think that you're in the wrong job as you seem to be hating it...I'd suggest either asking your supervisor or manager what the protocol is for difficult customers and that you act on it to be professional, or that you hand your notice in to find something that you'll be happier with

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Potato456
To be honest, I think that you're in the wrong job as you seem to be hating it...I'd suggest either asking your supervisor or manager what the protocol is for difficult customers and that you act on it to be professional, or that you hand your notice in to find something that you'll be happier with

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would do that, but I need the money tbh. I'd love to say that I hate hanging up on customers, but I love it. Act like an ******** to me, and I'll pretend to put you on hold to find a manager, but after 20 minutes of hearing the hold music, you'll hear the phone go dead (I've hung up).

People of TSR be educated, this is how call centre people are.
As much as we both know your manager wouldn't be happy, i don't blame you. Me personally i agree with what you did, because i dont see why people feel its ok to have no respect or manners. I think they feel because your on the phone they can get away with it. LOL your savage for leaving them on for 20 mins tho

Original post by Pleasantri
I would do that, but I need the money tbh. I'd love to say that I hate hanging up on customers, but I love it. Act like an ******** to me, and I'll pretend to put you on hold to find a manager, but after 20 minutes of hearing the hold music, you'll hear the phone go dead (I've hung up).

People of TSR be educated, this is how call centre people are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending