The Student Room Group

Looking at my situation, do you think it would be wise to take a gap year?

So Im currently in year 13 approaching my exams. I've been suffering from mild-moderate depression which has affected my revision, however Im quite confident that I may be able to pull through. I've been having some body confidence issues that have obviously affected my self esteem so idk whether goin straight into uni with these would make them worse. One part of me is saying that I should take a year off to focus on myself, make some money etc, but the other part of me is saying I'll regret it and feel left out because all my friends and everyone else have started and i'd be a year behind. I know its quite an individual/personal choice but I'd appreciate your opinions and experiences.
Original post by dmy15
So Im currently in year 13 approaching my exams. I've been suffering from mild-moderate depression which has affected my revision, however Im quite confident that I may be able to pull through. I've been having some body confidence issues that have obviously affected my self esteem so idk whether goin straight into uni with these would make them worse. One part of me is saying that I should take a year off to focus on myself, make some money etc, but the other part of me is saying I'll regret it and feel left out because all my friends and everyone else have started and i'd be a year behind. I know its quite an individual/personal choice but I'd appreciate your opinions and experiences.

I would take the gap year of you think it will benefit your health, a year behind is nothing but with uni funding limit there's only so many years you can use. Best get off to the best start you can.
If you have self esteem issues, a year out is not necessarily going to fix that.

If you're taking a year out to do something worthwhile - travel, volunteering, placement - then go for it. It will help you realise that your self worth isn't tied up in your appearance and that the world is bigger than High School politics.

If you have no plans- just go to Uni/College. You'll meet new people, maybe join some societies of like minded people. Embrace open-minded folk and get rid of whoever and whatever is dragging you down. You won't have that fear of missing out when you see your peers at Uni etc.
If I'm honest, going to uni has made me so much more outgoing and confident than I was in school. Just the ability to have a new start with new people and in a new place means nobody knows a thing about you and you can reinvent yourself. Might not work for everyone, but it worked for me!

Something that really helped as well was realising that buying less but better quality in clothes and makeup is definitely better than buying lots of cheap stuff.
Original post by dmy15

Yes as long as you push through and make the most of it. believe it or not you wont see much of your friends anyway and the year wont make much of a difference.

Get fit.
Earn money.
Improve confidence.

You could be a whole lot more ready to get the most out of uni, then.

No such thing as a year behind now.

Quick Reply

Latest