The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Drop out looking for advice!!

I started at Solent in September 2014 and dropped out on March 2015, this would mean I would be finishing my course June 2017 (if attending). When I dropped out I didn't declare I was leaving, didn't sign any papers I just stopped turning up.

They still send me e-mails about assignments, trips etc. But not about my attendance or asking where I am...

Does this mean I am still be charged for using student tuition fees or not, even though I'm not turning up? I haven't received any student loans of grants since I've stopped turning up.

Any advice or help would be useful, thankyou!!!
Reply 1
Original post by thomas1650
I started at Solent in September 2014 and dropped out on March 2015, this would mean I would be finishing my course June 2017 (if attending). When I dropped out I didn't declare I was leaving, didn't sign any papers I just stopped turning up.

They still send me e-mails about assignments, trips etc. But not about my attendance or asking where I am...

Does this mean I am still be charged for using student tuition fees or not, even though I'm not turning up? I haven't received any student loans of grants since I've stopped turning up.

I guess that they just haven't removed you from their generic departmental mailing list for assignments etc. I presume that you informed SFE of your withdrawal. You won't be being charged tuition fees and not knowing about it, as either SFE of the Uni would have contacted you when you would have been starting second year to confirm this.

Hope this helps. :smile:
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice! What's SFE though?
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice! What's SFE though?

Student Finance England!
Reply 4
I haven't let anyone know, I've just stoppped turning up! Would it be a good idea to go back into Uni and declare myself a drop out or just carry on the way I am?

I'm afraid if I go in there and declare they're going to be straight on my arse to pay them back money. At the moment I can't afford that as I'm still trying to climb out of my £1,500 student overdraft. 😕

You must have had your own reasons , but it does you no favours just not telling anyone. You should contact Solent and find out what has happened. Imo its quite likely they didnt realise you had gone until months later because you told no one.

Its most likely they took the money for the summer term, when in fact you could have canceled it, so that could have cost you £2,500 you needn't have incurred. Your debt though.

I doubt student finance paid out for the following year because you have to enrol plus apply for finance.

The only thing you are likely liable for is if you were in uni accommodation then you would be liable to pay for that for the full length of the contract. They would have handed it to debt collectors by now.. The alternative way of checking is to do it through student finance and confirm what they have paid out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending