The Student Room Group

How hard is Math A2 from Math AS? Sociology/Geography/Math- which A-level should I do

Scroll to see replies

Original post by an_atheist
There's no set pattern beyond the harder questions are later on in the paper (generally)

Sorry I didn't word my question properly but what I meant to ask was are the questions in the paper similar to questions in past paper? So the questions are always similar to those from past papers, worded similarly but obviously different numbers etc?

Sorry if that isn't clear but I hope you understand what I am asking?

Original post by HopelessMedic
With all due respect you if you aren't good at maths and don't enjoy it why are you even considering taking it? Is it necessary for your course at uni or do you just need to get an A in something?

I do need an A in a third subject but also because when I was doing my IGCSE I was suffering through some extenuating circumstances during the day of the exam and caused me to get a D in Math. So after my GCSE I took a brief break from education due to the same problem that caused me to get the poor grade. I have just recently decided to get back into education and it seems like re-doing GCSE when I'm couple of years past GCSE age doesn't really show much so I feel like I have to take A-level math as proof for uni/ to get into uni. I want to study History & Politics at uni. My other A-level subjects are History and Economics (both of which I'm quite good at) dunno if I should take sociology which i find interesting or a traditional a-level like Math. Does that make sense? I'm in such a dilemma. I feel like I could do Math in 6 months if I work hard but I also get scared as I can't screw it up and when people that are good at it and get A* in GCSE struggle why shouldn't I? Know what I mean?
Original post by transient life

I do need an A in a third subject but also because when I was doing my IGCSE I was suffering through some extenuating circumstances during the day of the exam and caused me to get a D in Math. So after my GCSE I took a brief break from education due to the same problem that caused me to get the poor grade. I have just recently decided to get back into education and it seems like re-doing GCSE when I'm couple of years past GCSE age doesn't really show much so I feel like I have to take A-level math as proof for uni/ to get into uni. I want to study History & Politics at uni. My other A-level subjects are History and Economics (both of which I'm quite good at) dunno if I should take sociology which i find interesting or a traditional a-level like Math. Does that make sense? I'm in such a dilemma. I feel like I could do Math in 6 months if I work hard but I also get scared as I can't screw it up and when people that are good at it and get A* in GCSE struggle why shouldn't I? Know what I mean?

Ah ok, fair enough.

It's hard to say which one you should pick, but honestly for maths ( At A-level anyway) if you work hard you are almost guaranteed to do well irrespective of your ability. If your going to self-study a subject maths is one of the easiest to do, seeing as it just requires practice and you don't really need a teacher, there's plenty of online help ( exam solutions is really good).
Sorry I didn't word my question properly but what I meant to ask was are the questions in the paper similar to questions in past paper? So the questions are always similar to those from past papers, worded similarly but obviously different numbers etc?

Sorry if that isn't clear but I hope you understand what I am asking?

It is a mixed answer typically on most papers there are the same sort of questions that come up over and over again so if you learn basic techniques most years this should be enough to get an acceptable grade (C+) However they combine this with throwing in the more difficult questions which usually have a twist or a different theme. So with its a mixture of both, I dont know how to explain this properly but
I found that at first i was caught off guard with the way they ask things at A level. However once I got the hang of it I found that it does not appear to get significantly more difficult (it does get harder but not as scary as some are implying) because the twists they put on the questions usually have a similar logic or pattern.
Maths A level has such high scores because of the module shuffling and combos EG theoretically speaking If you scored 90+ in C1 C2 and 2 applied modules you would have 360+ meaning you only need 120 from C3 and C4. there are plenty of applied modules to choose from. so you can find which applied modules you find the easiest. Id still push for A grades in C3 and C4 because if you aim for Cs you will likely get D or E.

My tip is use exam Solutions first make notes and watch enough times to understand all the way through for each module. Then get the official text book and work through that then do past papers.
Maths is not hard you just practice, I am an idiot and I do just fine
So the questions in the question paper does follow similar pattern to previous years?

By this, I mean that if you have an 18 mark question on vectors, it will always require you to prove the same skills as last year etc...
But you have to remember that C4 has tough topics, and you are unlikely to find anything really easy straight away (maybe partial fractions, or some of the algebra) but Differential Equations or Parameters are HARD, especially if you aren't that good at maths.

Quick Reply

Latest